Protecting radiator behind Raptor Grill?

Strobes

done
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
I don't have a ranger, but in the past I've rigged up either a mesh screen panel, or used rip-resistant window screen on previous trucks.

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
That’s the intercooler behind the grill. It will be just fine.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I bought some stainless steel woven mesh from eBay and put it behind my lower valance hexagonal grille. It won't stop sand and the such, but will stop the larger rocks and debris. If you can find a large enough piece, cut it to fit (I used diagonal cutters), you could fasten it to the back side of the grille. The 12x12 pc of 304, #4 mesh with .047 wire was about $20 shipped. so it would be a fairly inexpensive fix/mod.

This is what I used--
SS mesh screen.jpg

Here is a 12x48" pc-- https://www.ebay.com/itm/2925940403...U5v9AYOLng%3D%3D|clp:2334524|tkp:BFBMnKKBnsBf

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
@Rinn69 btw, I love the all blue you got. Did you do all that trim work yourself or did you get it done by a shop? Looks great!!
Thanks ! I did it myself. Just added the Tremor flares a few weeks ago.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I'm going to do something with "Hardware Cloth" wich is just a fine metal fencing like a rabbit hutch would have on it.

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
I’ve owned several high HP turbo cars with exposed intercooler. Never had an issue with the intercooler being damaged to the point of creating a boost leak.
okay, I thought it was that but radiator came up as well. ??‍♂

I just see new ones cost a bunch, but I also see a bunch of Raptor grills with no protection behind it. Anyways, thanks for the info.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Just installed Raptor grill late last week, well had the shop who was installing my Smartcap do it. Here’s the question. Do any of you guys have something behind it to prevent rocks from damaging the radiator? I see they make them for the actual Raptor, and I see they make them for the strip below (I have a light bar there), but I can’t seem to find an insert for the Ranger.

It appears I have already had a rock or two get behind the original oem grill and that had protection, now the space is much bigger and I’m sure it will be damaged sooner rather than later.

If anybody knows where to look that would be great, or I suppose I could find a way to rig something up myself.

bad picture but it’s too dark, late and cold for me to go outside at the moment. Thanks.
View attachment 114890
Man if rocks got up that high, I'd be worried about my hood and windshield...I've had it for 84K miles and no damages so far...

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
I’m the same way.. I gotta stay busy. ?
Okay cool, that does give me some comfort while I wait it out for my delivery. I’m gonna build something to keep me busy, always gotta have a project up here in the winter. 6 months of darkness can start to make me crazy!

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Haha, well I see you live in NC.. I get it, I never would have thought either…. That was until I moved to Alaska 11 years ago.

Our insurance comes with free glass protection for a reason, we’ve replaced windshields 5 or 6 times on our vehicles since that time.

Not only that, there is a sand and gravel place near my side of town and for whatever reason the sidedumpers spill that crap a lot.

We need more protection up here. ??‍♂
Wow in your case, I'd add a mesh screen behind the Raptor grill...it is pretty much wide open...

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
I hear ya. I’ve only visited Alaska during my military career. The time changes can really mess with you. I feel your pain with the kids. I love mine but damn. LEAVE ME ALONE SOMETIMES!! Lol.

Can only hang out with the kids so much before I tell them to find me in the garage or leave me alone!!

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Just installed Raptor grill late last week, well had the shop who was installing my Smartcap do it. Here’s the question. Do any of you guys have something behind it to prevent rocks from damaging the radiator? I see they make them for the actual Raptor, and I see they make them for the strip below (I have a light bar there), but I can’t seem to find an insert for the Ranger.

It appears I have already had a rock or two get behind the original oem grill and that had protection, now the space is much bigger and I’m sure it will be damaged sooner rather than later.

If anybody knows where to look that would be great, or I suppose I could find a way to rig something up myself.

bad picture but it’s too dark, late and cold for me to go outside at the moment. Thanks.
View attachment 114890
My question to everyone, why did Ford elect not to protect the inter-cooler on the Rangers? I would think that is a bit more important.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager