Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Aloha folks,

Does anyone have any recommendations/insight as to an 8 port power over ethernet switch?
I am looking to invest in a home security camera system, at this point I need 4 cameras total, but am seeking a switch with room for possible expansion later.

The brand BV Tech is out of the question because of their dubious online sales policy and warranty coverage if the item is bought from a 3rd party seller.

Newbie to the subject and would appreciate any and all advice.

TIA!
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
They're basically commodities, and almost all of them are just rebranded packages of a couple of third party ASICs. For common reasonably reputable brands you can get a netgear GS108LP for under $100, or a GS110TP for under $200 if you need VLANs. Another common option is d-link dgs-1100-08p which has VLAN support but some other quirks (that you probably wouldn't hit in home use) and generally retails a bit over $100. None of them has great support, but that's true of anything you buy these days at this kind of price. You can get no-name equivalents a lot cheaper, but the QC is probably a bit worse. Unless it's DOA it's unlikely to die before it's functionally obsolete. Just check the POE requirements on the attached equipment and verify that the switch meets the spec. (Something like 802.3af or 802.3at.) Also watch the total power budget, but that's probably not an issue in this case.

All that said, it may be a better idea to just buy what you need because buying tech early in case you might need it later generally is a suckers bet--either the same class of equipment will be cheaper in the future, or the technology will advance and you'll want something better in the future. A way to hedge would be something like the dgs-1008p, which has only 4 poe ports but also 4 non-poe ports which would allow for additional NAS, etc, or could be used with a poe injector if you needed just one more port in a couple of years. All of the above goes out the window if you have other requirements that haven't come up yet. :D

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mahalo Mike!
You are so true in describings items such as a switch as a commodity, if it fails just toss it.
I will take your advice and purchase just a 4 port Poe switch for now, I completely forgot the option of fitting an injector(s) as the need arises later...:thumbsup:

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I bought a house last year that has Reolink cameras tied to a TPlink POE switch and I like the setup a lot. The reolink software seems solid but I prefer using iSpy software, which has a lot of cool features and is free.

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I bought a house last year that has Reolink cameras tied to a TPlink POE switch and I like the setup a lot. The reolink software seems solid but I prefer using iSpy software, which has a lot of cool features and is free.
Thanks for the tip!

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
I installed my own security cameras. Ran a BNC cable from each camera to the DVR. Older technology but serves the same purpose.

After reading and trying to understand the jargon, I may switch to POE when my system requires an upgrade.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I installed my own security cameras. Ran a BNC cable from each camera to the DVR. Older technology but serves the same purpose.

After reading and trying to understand the jargon, I may switch to POE when my system requires an upgrade.
Hi Dale,

I when with Blink. Wireless and works for me. We have to use this as there is a "Do gooder" neighbor that wants to release our Tortoise back into the wild which she tired before. There is a $750 fine with 1 year in jail. I let her know this but she does not care...Blink camera foils her and she is very pissed. Tito cannot survive in the wild and all she would be doing is killing my Tortoise as he cannot forage for his food like a wild one as he is fed. He was born in captivity and by AZ law must remain in captivity. Also, a captive tortoise is handled by us humans and we transfer viruses to them that Arizona Game and Fish does not want to infect the wild population. This dumb woman is hell bent to release him. My lawyer had sent her a letter to warn her of her pending jail term... Blink is my first line of defense and this lady know that the cameras see in the dark of night too... Old adage... You cannot pick your relatives or your neighbors. Sigh!

Just food for thought.... Works for my situation...so far

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

I am going with Cat 6 from the get go since it's a new security system being installed in a 65 year old home.
Using wireless cameras is out of the question, so running ethernet cable to the proposed 4 cameras is a no brainer

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi Dale,

I when with Blink. Wireless and works for me. We have to use this as there is a "Do gooder" neighbor that wants to release our Tortoise back into the wild which she tired before. There is a $750 fine with 1 year in jail. I let her know this but she does not care...Blink camera foils her and she is very pissed. Tito cannot survive in the wild and all she would be doing is killing my Tortoise as he cannot forage for his food like a wild one as he is fed. He was born in captivity and by AZ law must remain in captivity. Also, a captive tortoise is handled by us humans and we transfer viruses to them that Arizona Game and Fish does not want to infect the wild population. This dumb woman is hell bent to release him. My lawyer had sent her a letter to warn her of her pending jail term... Blink is my first line of defense and this lady know that the cameras see in the dark of night too... Old adage... You cannot pick your relatives or your neighbors. Sigh!

Just food for thought.... Works for my situation...so far

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
And I thought I had mentally challenged neighbors!
Is it her intent to come onto your property to carry out her mission?
This maligned female better be glad she's NOT my neighbor...

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
And I thought I had mentally challenged neighbors!
Is it her intent to come onto your property to carry out her mission?
This maligned female better be glad she's NOT my neighbor...
Hi Jeff,

Yes...she does not care about any laws. It is her mission to save animals at any cost. I told her she was not saving my Tortoise but killing it. Fell on deaf ears. Likely will be settled in court, and since I am a level at Ford where legal representation is free. We will be making her pay a lot for her attorney fees if she does not relent. I plan to hit her directly in the wallet...She is not a fit in our tract and has confrontations with many other neighbors and our HOA as she believes she is above any laws. I think a strait Jacket is in her future. Moneyed but flat weird. HOA is fining her $100 a day for violations of our rules. She does not care. She will park her RV on her property for any length of time even if our Rules say 72 hours. Next time, her RV will be towed by the HOA and the money will be at her expense. What a piece of work! Fortunately she is not next door but down the street.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Range Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

jeffe

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 Lincoln MK VIII, '19 Ranger XLT, Magnetic, 2WD CC, Sport pkg, towing pkg, rear locker.
Occupation
CPO, USN Retired, Retired AT&T Field Tech
Hi Jeff! Check out the Western Digital ReadyView 2K (my system) and 4K systems on Amazon. The POE is built in to the DVR. Night vision is excellent. These systems come with 4 cameras and are expandable to 8.

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi Jeff! Check out the Western Digital ReadyView 2K (my system) and 4K systems on Amazon. The POE is built in to the DVR. Night vision is excellent. These systems come with 4 cameras and are expandable to 8.
Thanks!

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

jeffe

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 Lincoln MK VIII, '19 Ranger XLT, Magnetic, 2WD CC, Sport pkg, towing pkg, rear locker.
Occupation
CPO, USN Retired, Retired AT&T Field Tech
Thanks for the response, Reolink systems are rated high, yet the prices are very reasonable, the brand is on my top 5 list.
I concur! The 2 additional cameras I added are Reolink.
Sponsored