Plastic carpet protection - long term

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
So with the black interior (my first) of this truck, it shows EVERYTHING and seems to wear quickly. It could be our active lifestyle but my cloth front seats are looking faded and showing stains already in it's first year. I'm looking at covers and options but that's down the road.

With my dog and his short, bristly tan fur it is a chore to keep his hair from the carpets. I have a very nice hammock style rear seat cover that does it's job well. My problem is now the carpet on the floor area by the doors. He loves to sit on the driver's side and that's where the worst is, between the door and rear seat. When I had the plastic Maxliner floor mats, the rear extended all the way back along the rear seat and kept the majority of the fur out of the carpet. The plastic construction did not work well with my work boots when wet (I had issues with people sliding trying to get in the truck and even myself driving) so I swapped to the Husky Contour mats. The Husky mats are so much better for grip, but do not extend in the rear seat area. I now am getting dog fur buried in the carpet quite often. Below pic is after two trips to the park.

Here is my thought process. The clear plastic adhesive backed film that dealerships use to protect carpet during/after work would be a great choice to keep the fur out. I can get some very easily. What would the long term issues be if I were to leave the film on the carpet for, say, 1 - 3 months at a time? With a quality film I wouldn't think it would be a problem. Heat maybe in the summer?

Thoughts?

IMG_20201128_170425.jpg
Sponsored

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Perhaps:
A Suction powered Shop Vac Brush.
My dealer uses those paper mats, I've only seen the stickie back form fit film on new undelivered stock vehicles.
One of my early truck driving jobs was hauling petroleum coke from a refinery to various power plants in an end dump trailer. No matter how careful I was the greasy coke dust would get everywhere-even in the glovebox of the truck. Our shop used those plastic slip on seatcovers (mainly to protect their uniforms!) and would let us drivers take one for our private vehicles. They lasted about 10-15 days
I suppose the sticky back plastic sheet might work, but it probably only comes in roll stock which means you would have to cut it to fit each time. I imagine the carpet supplier for Rangers ship the carpeting already covered cut to size and shape. Temporary at best and I can see your Best Friend curling up the edges and sticking to its fur.

OP
OP
Ranger8729

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do have a nice shop vac and various brush/powered attachments. It still doesn't get all the fur out. The trick is a dishwashing glove; the longer forearm ones. Rubbing the carpet while holding the vacuum works wonders! It's the solution, but that is a a lot of work as often as we travel with the pup. He's totally worth it though, but i'm short on time with a new job.

I can get a 200' foot roll of the stuff from the a local supplier for about $15. It's worth a try, but I don't want to have to clean up adhesive if it doesn't come clean long term.

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
Get a kennel, put the kennel in the bed, use bungee cords to hold said kennel in place. But old blanket in kennel, put dog in kennel. Problem solved. My beagle gets filthy in the woods, she does not come inside the cab. She did in my old beater vehicle. But not my new vehicle.

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariate Crew Cab FX4 Sport
Occupation
Heavy Equipment / Truck shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
I do have a nice shop vac and various brush/powered attachments. It still doesn't get all the fur out. The trick is a dishwashing glove; the longer forearm ones. Rubbing the carpet while holding the vacuum works wonders! It's the solution, but that is a a lot of work as often as we travel with the pup. He's totally worth it though, but i'm short on time with a new job.

I can get a 200' foot roll of the stuff from the a local supplier for about $15. It's worth a try, but I don't want to have to clean up adhesive if it doesn't come clean long term.
The "Press N'Seal " Saran wrap works great for that. Have a buddy who uses it in his Escalade. It sticks to any plastic, doesn't leave any residue. He has his floor mats in place, then uses that to cover the areas from mats to the seats and console.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Having the std "work truck" vinyl floor instead of the carpet is the best solution I can come up with. Unless you cling wrap every inch, im thinking hair will still get everywhere.

I have the mindset though of animals belong outside. Period. (House, car etc)
I have allergies, Id be sneezin up a storm in a few min riding in your truck. And Im a clean freak. If I can't eat soup out of the husky liners then its too dirty.
So my views may be skewed....?

OP
OP
Ranger8729

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I got a small sample of the adhesive plastic film. It definitely does work well! Gonna keep it on for 2 weeks and see if the adhesive leaves a residue.

But the Saran wrap comment got me thinking. I just need small pieces, and put on some today on the passenger sode. We'll see how this goes, it's by far the easiest and cheapest way lol just cut a piece, slide under the trim and under the seat.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
This collects nicely, on pets, would probably do same for your carpet $10 I think...

1607392908122.png
Sponsored