Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
Toys III.JPG

My Still Owned Toyota Tacoma 1999. Worked with my dirt bike and tow my tent trailer. I have a newer tent trailer now but still love that Taco. V6 SR5 Package. Great truck for around town. I do really like my Ranger however and more every day!!!!!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Toys III.JPG

My Still Owned Toyota Tacoma 1999. Worked with my dirt bike and tow my tent trailer. I have a newer tent trailer now but still love that Taco. V6 SR5 Package. Great truck for around town. I do really like my Ranger however and more every day!!!!!
The older Tacos (Gen2) were really nice and had a decent powertrain. Besides the rusted frames they seemed to run forever. They totally ruined it with the 3rd Gen drivetrain along with the God awful seating position.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
At first I thought the Maverick was a Chevy Colorado. The front ends are too similar for my taste and I'm not a fan of fwd. I think Ford missed the mark on that. I'll stick with the Ranger thank you.
Colorado.jpeg

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
To me they all look identical except the Ranger which stands out, at least until the 2022 comes along which looks like the rest.
It's going to be interesting in a few years, looking back. So few 2019-2021's will have been sold compared to the post-pandemic front end rework of the Ranger to match the Maverick and the F150's, F250's etc.
Yet I think these three years are the best looking of them all.

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Wow the Maverick looks really small in this picture.

Carbonized Gray Maverick XLT vs ranger vs f150 size comparison.jpg
It looks like my wife's Forester when it's parked next to my Ranger. Which makes me wonder when they're going to bring back the Baja (or Brat!) now that little unibody trucks are making a comeback.

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
The older Tacos (Gen2) were really nice and had a decent powertrain. Besides the rusted frames they seemed to run forever. They totally ruined it with the 3rd Gen drivetrain along with the God awful seating position.
My 1999 has the Tundra transmission. Pretty bullet proof.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
It looks like my wife's Forester when it's parked next to my Ranger. Which makes me wonder when they're going to bring back the Baja (or Brat!) now that little unibody trucks are making a comeback.
I forgot all about those two. lol Lets hope they stay buried in the past. ?

Brat Pick Up.jpg

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I absolutely loved my Subaru Baja Turbo.

Actually took a look at this recently...

IMG_0886.jpeg

Turbo AWD SEL Premium.

The salesman gave me the keys and told me to go have fun.

I approached it with fond visions of my Subaru Baja Turbo dancing in my head.

Initial impressions are that I hate the wheels. Also not a fan of the Disco Inferno dashboard.

0-60 acceleration feels stronger than stock Ranger, midrange I'd give the edge to the Ranger. Put a tune on the Ranger and it's no contest. The Santa Cruz seems to come onto the power quicker from a stop whereas the Ranger seems to take a second to catch its breath before it goes.

VERY tight turning circle, surprisingly tight.

Nice interior layout but the back seats are very tight.

Locking bed roll cover and lots of storage cubbies in the bed, plus LED lighting.

Surprisingly, the bedsides are almost as high as my Ranger.

Overall I left with a meh impression. I felt it was quite a bit overpriced (sticker was $37,795)

It's no Baja. If Subaru made a new Baja I'd be buying it quick.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Considered buying a Baja years ago (after they'd been discontinued, of course) and they were hard to find and pretty expensive for what they were.

Just going on appearances, I prefer the Hyundai over the Maverick. I'm also not impressed with the Ranger redesign for that matter. I'll definitely be holding onto my 2019 for awhile yet. Maybe the next visual tweaks to that platform will improve it? Hopefully?

I did like the size of my 98 Ranger. Would have preferred an extended cab/super cab type (I had a regular cab). I also would have preferred 4wd and a little more oomph in the engine (I had the 4cyl MT which was fine, if a bit pokey on the highway and when towing).

There's a lot I like about my 2019. I would have preferred the supercab and longer bed, but I bought what I did because it was what was on the lot and the price was right so I can't complain too much. I'm a big fan of its capability, though. It's more than what I need most of the time, but I'm sure glad to have the extra margin for error when I decide to push it occasionally.

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Considered buying a Baja years ago (after they'd been discontinued, of course) and they were hard to find and pretty expensive for what they were.

Just going on appearances, I prefer the Hyundai over the Maverick. I'm also not impressed with the Ranger redesign for that matter. I'll definitely be holding onto my 2019 for awhile yet. Maybe the next visual tweaks to that platform will improve it? Hopefully?

I did like the size of my 98 Ranger. Would have preferred an extended cab/super cab type (I had a regular cab). I also would have preferred 4wd and a little more oomph in the engine (I had the 4cyl MT which was fine, if a bit pokey on the highway and when towing).

There's a lot I like about my 2019. I would have preferred the supercab and longer bed, but I bought what I did because it was what was on the lot and the price was right so I can't complain too much. I'm a big fan of its capability, though. It's more than what I need most of the time, but I'm sure glad to have the extra margin for error when I decide to push it occasionally.
You are right about the older Ranger. I had a '98, XLT 4x4, extended cab, longbed, 4.0 V6, etc.. Apart from the marbles-in-a-can engine rattle, the bad-sidewall Firestone stock tires and a few other miscellaneous minor issues, it was a good truck. The power and weight balance were wonderful. Our new ones are really good too, but in a completely different class.
Sponsored

Last edited: