First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
ot two DTC's two mornings in a row. What exactly do they mean and hopefully another rat did not chew on some wires like last time I stayed there!!!!

P0402 Main Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

U0422 Invalid Data Received From Body Control Module

I did put cooler plugs in a bit ago could that cause such codes?

Cleared them after coming on and drove around the rest of the day. Did not return the remainder of each day. Today I drove for 3 plus hours no issues. Very odd weather compared to normal though. Staying at the beach with crazy high humidity and very windy. Not sure if the humidity on a cold engine caused it or what? It is humid in HTX but not like over night at the beach. I am home now and will see what happens in the morning.
Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Word of advice. Don't use cooler plugs in an otherwise stock configuration.

By the way, the car parts link is in error. The author states cat failure is more common than sensor failure. That is incorrect. Unless of course, you're using some forms of octane booster.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
What was the rationale for changing plug temps?

The U0422 appears to be an error generated by failing intermodule communication (like between the BCM and the PCM). Have you had chewed wiring issues in the past?

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I get "U0422 Invalid Data Received From Body Control Module" constantly. Doesn't seem to manifest itself anywhere.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Maybe not, but the BCM interfaces with a bunch of things. Your stability control and antilock braking could be effected as well. Get it fixed while still under warranty.

OP
OP
HTX1811

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
What was the rationale for changing plug temps?

The U0422 appears to be an error generated by failing intermodule communication (like between the BCM and the PCM). Have you had chewed wiring issues in the past?
Had a rat two years ago when I stayed at the same beach house chew a wire that caused the air bag light to come on on the dash. The wire was fixed.

I have a high flow SPD cat, a very aggressive tune, and run 93 octane. Have had that set up since mile 1,000 or so. At 43,000 miles now and this is the first code for it to throw.

Cooler plugs at one time where a thing. Thought I would give them a try since changing them is a very simple task. I have had them in for 5,000 miles or so.

I just remembered the other day Shell was out of 93. I put about 1/2 of a tank of gas of 89 in. After running a half of a tank, I topped off with 93. This tank was that tank of 1/2 93 and 1/2 89. Not sure if that would have any impact causing the codes???

If it does not throw any codes in the next week or so I will chalk it up to "one of those things." I have not started the truck today but I am about to.

I will report back what it did or did not do.

Maybe not, but the BCM interfaces with a bunch of things. Your stability control and antilock braking could be effected as well. Get it fixed while still under warranty.
Interesting you mention this. Every once in a while I get a waring on the dash saying pre-collision is not available. It has been doing this for at least 20,000 miles. I check for DTC and get nothing though after the first 5 times that has happened. I would say it's done this 12 times one of which was yesterday.

Thanks for the input BTW. Much appreciated.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Every once in a while I get a waring on the dash saying pre-collision is not available.
I don't know if this is your problem, but the pre-collision feature might not work if the windshield, in front of the camera, is dirty, especially in a way that the camera can't detect that diagonal line. It wouldn't throw a code because nothing is wrong with the vehicle.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Had a rat two years ago when I stayed at the same beach house chew a wire that caused the air bag light to come on on the dash. The wire was fixed.

I have a high flow SPD cat, a very aggressive tune, and run 93 octane. Have had that set up since mile 1,000 or so. At 43,000 miles now and this is the first code for it to throw.

Cooler plugs at one time where a thing. Thought I would give them a try since changing them is a very simple task. I have had them in for 5,000 miles or so.

I just remembered the other day Shell was out of 93. I put about 1/2 of a tank of gas of 89 in. After running a half of a tank, I topped off with 93. This tank was that tank of 1/2 93 and 1/2 89. Not sure if that would have any impact causing the codes???

If it does not throw any codes in the next week or so I will chalk it up to "one of those things." I have not started the truck today but I am about to.

I will report back what it did or did not do.

Interesting you mention this. Every once in a while I get a waring on the dash saying pre-collision is not available. It has been doing this for at least 20,000 miles. I check for DTC and get nothing though after the first 5 times that has happened. I would say it's done this 12 times one of which was yesterday.

Thanks for the input BTW. Much appreciated.
I believe the cat code is telling you that the comparison of upstream and downstream sensors reports are saying the cat isn't working properly.

Do you have a scan tool to watch the O2 sensors? You can generally tell a lot by just watching the voltages switch, as well as the voltage change from upstream to downstream.

The half tank of 89 likely wouldn't cause either of those codes. If you have anything that will read live data, along with watching how the O2 sensors are responding, you can watch the knock sensors and the resultant timing retard. They likely were a little more active with the lower octane mix, but again, not likely that would trigger either code.

OP
OP
HTX1811

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
No codes today. Drove around for a bit with a few stops with the engine turned off. Maybe just one of those things.

My windshield is pretty dirty.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

OP
OP
HTX1811

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
No codes no warnings.

Going with it's just one of those things.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
No codes no warnings.

Going with it's just one of those things.
It it were me...I would change the Spark Plugs and It does not seem your HP cat is HPing very well. JMO...

Best,
Phil
Sponsored