Ordering a 2020 Ranger and need some tips

orangegrower

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Aston Martin Vantage - 2019 Shelby GT350 - 2019 Ranger Lariat
I will be ordering a 2020 Ranger in the next few days. I will be using the Ford D Plan so there will be no negotiations on price. But I am looking for tips on the actual ordering process. Are there ways to make sure things go smoothly with the time span from ordering to delivery? Everybody wants it now and I am no exception. Thanks
Sponsored

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
I will be ordering a 2020 Ranger in the next few days. I will be using the Ford D Plan so there will be no negotiations on price. But I am looking for tips on the actual ordering process. Are there ways to make sure things go smoothly with the time span from ordering to delivery? Everybody wants it now and I am no exception. Thanks
What I did in my instance is to obtain Ford's 2020 Ranger order guide and to list the exact model code and option code numbers. This guide may be available on this forum, I know for certain that Blue Oval Forums has it.
I then presented this list to my dealer and had them order it with a stipulation that zero additional equipment at the local level would be added to the truck, this includes such nonsense as anti-theft window etching and $500 wax jobs.
It sounds as though you've gone the Ford Plan route before so you already know the requirements that both the buyer and dealer must abide by.
I utilized the X plan myself.
Other than that there's not much else you can do other than asking them to keep you abreast of all facets of the order. I personally made a pest of myself.
Good Luck!

Additionally, you need to be aware that dealer stock orders take precedence over customer special orders with regards to production schedules.

"now, if not sooner"
"yesterday was too late"

Last edited:

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LB Super Crew, 2012 GT500, 2015 VW GSW TDI
Vehicle Showcase
@Mokume gave great advice. I’ll add that I would ask if they can order whatever is quicker: special order or retail stock. Also a down payment of a few hundred usually helps seal the deal of intent to purchase too.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@Mokume gave great advice. I’ll add that I would ask if they can order whatever is quicker: special order or retail stock. Also a down payment of a few hundred usually helps seal the deal of intent to purchase too.
All good advice, however, my dealer was reluctant to change the order status, orangegrowers dealer may be more receptive.
My dealer required a $3K non-refundable deposit to order the truck of which I agreed upon, only after they added a clause stating that this deposit was to be refundable if the truck was not exactly as I specified and after I inspected it to show damage during transport, including salt compound damage which another member here found on his.
I once special ordered a '78 Mercury Colony Park for my mother when I worked at a dealership, evidently, the car was loaded topside on a Matson container ship, it looked like a blue and brown salted pretzel when it got here. Of course, I refused delivery of it.

RichieRich

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F250
Hope this is in the correct sub-forum - can someone tell me the cut-off date for ordering a 2020 Ranger? I'm thinking I'll be ready to order around the first of July so hope that won't be too late.

Thanks!

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hope this is in the correct sub-forum - can someone tell me the cut-off date for ordering a 2020 Ranger? I'm thinking I'll be ready to order around the first of July so hope that won't be too late.

Thanks!
If I'm not mistaken, it may be later than July, the order bank for 2020's last year opened on or around August 20th. That may change this year because of the anticipated Bronco introduction, there is a forum called Blue Oval Forums you can check out if you don't get a good answer here.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks!
I haven't seen what the end of the year schedule is for 2020. For 2019 it was different than usual. They continued production of 2019 into November since it was started late in the model year. I don't know if that will repeat for 2020 or not. I would think that you could still order one in July, but it might be getting a bit late.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the tips guys. I found a 2019 locally that I was able to make a deal to my liking.
LOL, that's what I was going to suggest. Check local availability on what you want in the 2019s. Dealers are ready to deal to move them out, and there's NO WAITING! :>)

beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew FX4
Thanks for the tips guys. I found a 2019 locally that I was able to make a deal to my liking.
Best think you could do. With so many on the lots now you need a pretty unique truck to not find one that's close :thumbsup:

RichieRich

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F250
If I'm not mistaken, it may be later than July, the order bank for 2020's last year opened on or around August 20th. That may change this year because of the anticipated Bronco introduction, there is a forum called Blue Oval Forums you can check out if you don't get a good answer here.
Thank you sir! Appreciate your taking the time.

RichieRich

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F250
I haven't seen what the end of the year schedule is for 2020. For 2019 it was different than usual. They continued production of 2019 into November since it was started late in the model year. I don't know if that will repeat for 2020 or not. I would think that you could still order one in July, but it might be getting a bit late.
Thank you for that - the last Ford I ordered was an '09 Raptor but can no longer remember what time of the year that was. Ordering date for me depends wholly upon whether or not the county extends a construction contract into 2021 which won't occur until funding is procured sometime in July.
Sponsored