Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pbbphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4, Technology, Tow, 6ft Bed
Occupation
Photographer
Nope, with 2” of leveling in the front, there’s a good deal of room without having to remove crash bars/intrusion beams or any cutting for the 255/80/17. Equal to about a 33”x10” tire. All tires in that size that I’m aware of are load E, so are heavy and you will notice some drop in mpg
Sponsored

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT - FX4, 302A, Tow pkg. 2006 Land Rover LR3 HSE
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, with 2” of leveling in the front, there’s a good deal of room without having to remove crash bars/intrusion beams or any cutting for the 255/80/17. Equal to about a 33”x10” tire. All tires in that size that I’m aware of are load E, so are heavy and you will notice some drop in mpg
Thanks for the review on the 255's, glad a couple of people have now pulled the trigger on them in the ranger community. I'm thinking of trying the new Toyo AT3 or the Wildpeaks in 255/80r17. How much of a hit did you take on MPG? I'm currently running 285/70r17's and whilst they're fine I'm considering going to a skinnier 33.

Oregon Comrade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Thanks for the review on the 255's, glad a couple of people have now pulled the trigger on them in the ranger community. I'm thinking of trying the new Toyo AT3 or the Wildpeaks in 255/80r17. How much of a hit did you take on MPG? I'm currently running 285/70r17's and whilst they're fine I'm considering going to a skinnier 33.
Be careful, the 255/80s are typically Load Range E and can be awfully stiff / jarring. YMMV thought....

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
Be careful, the 255/80s are typically Load Range E and can be awfully stiff / jarring. YMMV thought....
people keep saying that, but I have to wonder how many have actually driven on a variety of Load E tires... I've had E tires on almost all my trucks and SUVs's for the last 6-7 years, and never noticed any worse ride than any other off road type tire. you will certainly notice a difference going from a highway tire to an AT, or especially going to a MT, but I think the specific tire makes a much bigger difference than just load range E vs C.

Oregon Comrade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
people keep saying that, but I have to wonder how many have actually driven on a variety of Load E tires... I've had E tires on almost all my trucks and SUVs's for the last 6-7 years, and never noticed any worse ride than any other off road type tire. you will certainly notice a difference going from a highway tire to an AT, or especially going to a MT, but I think the specific tire makes a much bigger difference than just load range E vs C.
My winters that just came off are 235/85R16's E's and they were pretty harsh, my 255/75 BFG's C's are more comfortable, it's not huge, but I thought it was noticeable.

To your point lots of variables, which rig it's on, vehicle weight, tire type, brand, pressure, etc. "All else equal", which it rarely is, they are stiffer & heavier....

With that said, when I went from the Stock P tires to my BFG's, it was stiffer, probably more so than going from my BFG's to the E's.

GSaff

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL FX4; 2018 BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
My truck came with the Toyo AT3 and they are pretty jarring and I run them at 30psi. The hard rubber compound was also not great on packed snow and ice. I've had Falcon Wildpeaks and Cooper ST Maxx on other trucks and they were a better ride and much better on the snow and ice. Likely get rid of the Toyo's before next winter.

ken91773

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Interesting happenings... this is the short version lol

I installed the Ford/fox 2.0 kit, wanted the Falken Wildpeak AT3 in a 255/80/17 after lots of reading and reviews. I couldn’t find them in stock anywhere. The Nitto Ridge Grapplers, while a touch heavier and beefier in the same 255/80/17 were a close second and readily available. I had a very reputable tire store mount and and balance them. There was a lot of vibration, lag, drop in gas mileage. I have run BFGoodrich and Goodyear DuraTracs in even bigger sizes than these on my old Frontier, so am use to the feel of a more aggressive and large tire. These Nittos did not feel right. I went to my local ford dealership to have them test drive it and make sure everything was still aligned. They said they were out of balance. I called the tire store and they said no prob it happens sometimes, we will rebalance for free. Everyone was super helpful, and the guy at the tire store had a new 5g ranger as well, so we were swapping stories and setups. The balance felt better, but still not what I wanted. I was disappointed as I missed that smooth ranger ride with the upgraded fox suspension. I ended up finding some Falken Wildpeaks. With my ford credit I had them mount and balance them. When I drove away I got on the highway and they felt as smooth as the stock Hankooks. Still a really aggressive tread and great in snow and mud. My suspension feels great as the vibrations are gone and I can actually feel the compression and ride more accurately. It is really amazing how smooth they are. Now I understand all the positive reviews for them. Needless to say I have my hankooks and the mottos for sale! I love my ranger again! I’ll get more photos but here’s a fun one. Thanks to everyone on here for all the info too

E73CB90A-6E25-41DD-8CDC-9AE679ACEF6D.jpeg
I like your setup! Are those the stock wheels or different? If different, how did you deal with the difference in offset?

pbb_photo

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pbbphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4, Technology, Tow, 6ft Bed
Occupation
Photographer
Any cutting required to fit those tires?

Thanks
Nope. 2.5” level form the fox coil overs. Good amount of clearance. I’m feeling like I’d like a bit wider stance now though so will get some new wheels when these tires are shot. If I can’t wait that long maaaaaybe some spacers. The 255/80-17 is nice and grippy and tall but stock stance is already narrow and these make it slightly narrower. Great for thin trails though...

Jake596

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT/2013 F-150/1976 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Just had st max 255/80/r17 installed today and have plenty of room with no rubbing with Eibach Coilovers set at 2.5
F0990B83-C89A-43C2-89BE-41B96F6BCE37.jpeg
That is a perfect height IMO, i stayed conservative with the 245/75/17, but thats a winner.

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
I have these with no lift and no rubbing at all. I take it off road and never had them rub.
so i think the consensus from reading this and another couple threads is that 255/75/17 will fit on a stock fx4 with NO mods whatsoever, with no resulting interference. at least with the duratrac tires.

two questions:

1) can anyone confirm that the duratrac tire above will fit in the spare wheel well? dont want to screw myself. i assume it does as i think from dim recall of another thread a 33 will squeeze tightly into the well but would like to be sure.

2) is there another well reviewed tire of the same general family that people like? specifically duratrac sounds good because its bigger- get a little more clearance, but thinner, less weight increase, and seems to enjoy good reviews online. the duratrac seems like the only one that has come up in this forum for this application in this size.

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Posted in biggest tires w/o lift thread also but after reading this thread wondering up going with 255/70/18. I'd like to get a bit taller tire, without a lift or modding crash bars immediately. It measures the same size as 255/27r17, so curious if there'd be any concerns running 255/70 on the stock 18's?

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
Posted in biggest tires w/o lift thread also but after reading this thread wondering up going with 255/70/18. I'd like to get a bit taller tire, without a lift or modding crash bars immediately. It measures the same size as 255/27r17, so curious if there'd be any concerns running 255/70 on the stock 18's?
255/27/r17?

i assume you mean "it measures the same size as 255/75/17?"