First Name
Geoffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger xlt crewcab
Occupation
Longhole Driller
Found this video talking about the 10r80, its uplifting review considering all the doom and gloom surrounding this transmission. I was surprised to hear that despite it 10 speeds its a relatively easy transmission to rebuild. Not sure why more shops aren't rebuilding them. He starts talking about the 10r80 starting at 22:45 minutes in.

Sponsored

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
It didn't seem that optimistic. He says the CDF drum is a huge problem and then says "You cannot complain for the problems it gives you" because it's always in the right gear?

If it's easy to fix it's great for him if all it takes is a $1500 rebuild kit (+ plus employee discount) and he does it himself. Not so much for the guy who just wants a reliable truck and now shelling out $5k for a trans. It does have me wondering if I could rebuild it myself though.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Potential is there , I have felt it in mine occasionally, one day maybe... 🤔

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
It didn't seem that optimistic. He says the CDF drum is a huge problem and then says "You cannot complain for the problems it gives you" because it's always in the right gear?

If it's easy to fix it's great for him if all it takes is a $1500 rebuild kit (+ plus employee discount) and he does it himself. Not so much for the guy who just wants a reliable truck and now shelling out $5k for a trans. It does have me wondering if I could rebuild it myself though.
Rebuilding shouldn't be too bad, but getting it in and out looks like the bigger challenge.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
just the fact we are discussing transmission rebuilds on trucks that for the most part have less than 100k on them is sad. i remember in the 1980s and 1990s dodge had a terrible reputation for transmission issues and folks would say oh dont get a dodge - transmissions are garbage. I put 400k on an old ram two rebuilds in that time. not too damn bad vs. out high tech ford.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am hoping that LubeGuard will stop the problem for me. I know that I am hoping, but it is possible. I've heard of other instances where a different ATF cured severe issues.

On a similar but unrelated note, my 2023 CX-5 USA owners manual calls for 0w-20 oil. But the Oil fill cap has 5w30 printed on it. And in every country except the US and Canada Mazda specifies 5w30.

First oil change just came up and I put 5w30 Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic in. The engine dramatically quieted down and runs much smoother.

I am beginning to not trust automaker's US recommendations on fluids. I now look at foreign engine/transmission fluid specs and use them over US specs (if the hardware is the same).

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Alrighty...another 10R0 thread...

movie-eating-popcorn.gif

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
just the fact we are discussing transmission rebuilds on trucks that for the most part have less than 100k on them is sad. i remember in the 1980s and 1990s dodge had a terrible reputation for transmission issues and folks would say oh dont get a dodge - transmissions are garbage. I put 400k on an old ram two rebuilds in that time. not too damn bad vs. out high tech ford.
It's a shame but since the EPA is forcing higher and higher mpgs all mfg are stuffing more gears in their transmissions. So it doesn't matter what brand you buy imo. I'm just hoping that if it does hit me we'll have a class-action, lemon law, something to recoup the cost by that time. I mean the Chevy Colorado has a class action and that trans was a collaboration with Ford and the 10R80!

I sorta gave up on buying the used Ford Transit Connect I wanted too, because I am seeing people dump them at 150-170K with "new transmission installed" as well. There isn't really a good option for that roll, maybe the Merc Metris but it practically doesn't exist on the used market.

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Wish I could remember which forumite said we 10R80 victims were just a bunch of whiners. Where I live there are lots of crows and I'm sure at least one of them wouldn't mind being eaten...

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Wish I could remember which forumite said we 10R80 victims were just a bunch of whiners. Where I live there are lots of crows and I'm sure at least one of them wouldn't mind being eaten...
a bit of humble pie for after lol.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder who said that?...🤔

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I am hoping that LubeGuard will stop the problem for me. I know that I am hoping, but it is possible. I've heard of other instances where a different ATF cured severe issues.

On a similar but unrelated note, my 2023 CX-5 USA owners manual calls for 0w-20 oil. But the Oil fill cap has 5w30 printed on it. And in every country except the US and Canada Mazda specifies 5w30.

First oil change just came up and I put 5w30 Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic in. The engine dramatically quieted down and runs much smoother.

I am beginning to not trust automaker's US recommendations on fluids. I now look at foreign engine/transmission fluid specs and use them over US specs (if the hardware is the same).
Wow I wonder why the difference in oil. Climate or driving conditions maybe?

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am sure that it was the Lubeguard Ultra Platinum ATF additive that did the trick. My transmission has always acted up more in the summer, although this last winter I fired it up and started down the street and the shifts took up to 6-10 seconds to complete! I could actually hear the valve body shift solenoids transition. Not good!

I didn't drive it very much at all after that episode.

My plan going forward is to change the ATF at 30K & 40K. At 50K I will be swapping out the pan if the transmission is still running fine. Each time I will add Lubeguard.

If the transmission fails sometime in between, I will have it repaired under warranty and then sell the truck.

Last edited: