OEM running boards torque specs

Ranger Roger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit, 2004 Honda ST1300abs, 2018 Honda HR-V
Anyone know the torque specs for installing OEM running board bolts? Also only bolts provided, no lock washers. Bought them from another forum member who gave me all hardware. Someone on another thread said to use Loctite Blue. Another said he calculated torque for a grade 8.8 bolt but didn’t mention what is was—don’t really understand his remark.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone know the torque specs for installing OEM running board bolts? Also only bolts provided, no lock washers. Bought them from another forum member who gave me all hardware. Someone on another thread said to use Loctite Blue. Another said he calculated torque for a grade 8.8 bolt but didn’t mention what is was—don’t really understand his remark.
Hi Roger,

I cannot speak exactly for the running boards, but let me express my opinion on these fasteners. First is that in all likelihood, they are metric and thus not Grade 8. Likely these are 10.3. Grade 8 by the way are excellent in clamp load but lousy in shear and for a running board the fasteners are in shear, so grade 5 would be better...Most folks do not get this, but as part of my job, I had a fastener engineer, Steve M....what a learning curve I got from Steve....

Ford rarely uses lock washers for OEM parts. In an assembly plant, the time to pick up a bolt, slide an lock washer in, not drop it and install with a nut is way too time consuming. We use trapped washers, UBS flange nuts etc. It would be rare to find a lock washer in an assembly plant, but not a steadfast rule...just unusual as a loose washer be it flat or lock or serrated is a recipe for misassembly. Aftermarket seems so fond of lock washers because they use hardware grade fasteners. Most OEM applications are torque prevailing and these fasteners can retain their torque/tension for 5 on/offs. Examine the nuts you have. If you see indents on three of the six faces...you have a torque prevailing nut....no loctite required.

BTW....I never use blue loc tight. Only works if the parts are extremely clean and you use their Kleen N Prime. I use red almost exclusively when needed. I have blue and red but blue had almost never seen the light of day from my shop cabinet where I keep adhesives and glues...

Wish I could give you the torque specs, but I have no access to this kind of info...

Kudos to you for asking for the specs as most folks just do it until it "feels" tight!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Ranger Roger

Ranger Roger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Roger,

I cannot speak exactly for the running boards, but let me express my opinion on these fasteners. First is that in all likelihood, they are metric and thus not Grade 8. Likely these are 10.3. Grade 8 by the way are excellent in clamp load but lousy in shear and for a running board the fasteners are in shear, so grade 5 would be better...Most folks do not get this, but as part of my job, I had a fastener engineer, Steve M....what a learning curve I got from Steve....

Ford rarely uses lock washers for OEM parts. In an assembly plant, the time to pick up a bolt, slide an lock washer in, not drop it and install with a nut is way too time consuming. We use trapped washers, UBS flange nuts etc. It would be rare to find a lock washer in an assembly plant, but not a steadfast rule...just unusual as a loose washer be it flat or lock or serrated is a recipe for misassembly. Aftermarket seems so fond of lock washers because they use hardware grade fasteners. Most OEM applications are torque prevailing and these fasteners can retain their torque/tension for 5 on/offs. Examine the nuts you have. If you see indents on three of the six faces...you have a torque prevailing nut....no loctite required.

BTW....I never use blue loc tight. Only works if the parts are extremely clean and you use their Kleen N Prime. I use red almost exclusively when needed. I have blue and red but blue had almost never seen the light of day from my shop cabinet where I keep adhesives and glues...

Wish I could give you the torque specs, but I have no access to this kind of info...

Kudos to you for asking for the specs as most folks just do it until it "feels" tight!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
see pics attached. They are 13 mm flange bolts. Says 8.8 and I believe SF on them. Thought the 8.8 related to grade but in metric? I did look up some bolts on line and learned some info after reading your reply. I’m a retired engineer too like you but I’m a ChE, worked in Pharmaceutical industry. Always like to learn something new.

The runnings boards came from Ford on a Lariat. His wife didn’t like them so I bought them.

Thanks for the info

CD52B29A-F436-409F-89B1-DBF7458F12F1.jpeg

9C9FA61D-D5E4-45B1-AA7C-BFB79558CD00.jpeg

OP
OP
Ranger Roger

Ranger Roger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Found the attached on another Ranger 5g posting. Also found on You Tube. 34 lb-ft. I think I did more than that on all bolts. Will just check with torque wrench to ensure.

159F10A1-9CFF-4275-B849-F072D7AD9A26.png

56ECD5BE-047D-4693-A6CF-5B9A17BCDC1C.png

Brian1017

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
where can I buy these bolts?
Hardware store, the bolts are flanged M10 with a thread pitch of 1.50. You will need 12 bolts.
I purchased 8 20mm long and 4 30mm long bolts, they worked just fine. (Hardware store only had 8 of the 20mm) Lengthwise 30mm seemed to be unnecessary, but had no issues getting them in.
I put them in with red loctite, as the stock bolts that come with the kits appear to be pre-coated with it based on the installation videos I watched.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
The red neck rule is "as tight as you can get em and two more turns". ?

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
The red neck rule is "as tight as you can get em and two more turns". ?
Actually it's go until they break then back them off a half turn.

NNayak

First Name
Neel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat RTR
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
If anyone is interested, these are the OEM fasteners: part number W712154 for a pack of 4. You will need three packs of bolts, twelve bolts in total:
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/bolt-6312227-1#sectionId:95018871

The OEM bolts appear to come with a patch type locking feature that happens to be red.

If you are buying non-OEM fasteners without the locking compound pre-applied, you could probably get away with putting nothing on these fasteners, as they are not in a heavy vibration application, and the installation torque will likely suffice to retain them. If you must put something on them, use blue loctite -- you will never get the fastener out if you use red loctite on such a large diameter fastener without using a lot of heat on the fastener.

Last edited:

Jdm4292

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Golf R
If anyone is interested, these are the OEM fasteners: part number W712154 for a pack of 4. You will need three packs of bolts, twelve bolts in total:
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/bolt-6312227-1#sectionId:95018871

The OEM bolts appear to come with a patch type locking feature that happens to be red.

If you are buying non-OEM fasteners without the locking compound pre-applied, you could probably get away with putting nothing on these fasteners, as they are not in a heavy vibration application, and the installation torque will likely suffice to retain them. If you must put something on them, use blue loctite -- you will never get the fastener out if you use red loctite on such a large diameter fastener without using a lot of heat on the fastener.
Thanks for this, my dealer quoted me $2 per bolt meaning $24 for all 12, gonna ask them to match this.

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
Hardware store, the bolts are flanged M10 with a thread pitch of 1.50. You will need 12 bolts.
I purchased 8 20mm long and 4 30mm long bolts, they worked just fine. (Hardware store only had 8 of the 20mm) Lengthwise 30mm seemed to be unnecessary, but had no issues getting them in.
I put them in with red loctite, as the stock bolts that come with the kits appear to be pre-coated with it based on the installation videos I watched.
Red locktight is for permannt installations- IE: Never to be removed. You have to heat the blot to break the seal. Standard Blue locktight at the proper torque spec seems more appropriate for this application. The OEM bolt, though it may have a 'Red' locking band, that is not the same as Red locktight. it is removable.
Sponsored