First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Corporate Trainer/ Pilot
Very rarely do I ask questions to forums but I have exhausted the general Google search on this one and am a bit embarrassed to even ask. Question is regarding a non FX4 Ranger with 4 wheel drive; is this a basic "old school" 4 wheel drive system or an intelligent 4 wheel drive system of some sort and just lacking the different terrain controls? Thank you in advance.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Very rarely do I ask questions to forums but I have exhausted the general Google search on this one and am a bit embarrassed to even ask. Question is regarding a non FX4 Ranger with 4 wheel drive; is this a basic "old school" 4 wheel drive system or an intelligent 4 wheel drive system of some sort and just lacking the different terrain controls? Thank you in advance.
To answer your question in the most simple way possible the difference in non FX4 to FX4 4wd is the electronics.
FX4 has the Trail control(low speed cruise control) and Terrain Management(ABS control for offroad conditions).

So far it has been proven to add Terrain management to the non FX4 trucks but Trail control has not been figured out yet at this time.

Hope this helps.

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
I have a regular 4X4 also. I believe it is a traditional 4WD system and not the "intelligent" type.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I have a regular 4X4 also. I believe it is a traditional 4WD system and not the "intelligent" type.
None of the Rangers have "Intelligent" 4WD. Those systems have the Auto 4WD and they didn't put them on the Ranger for what ever reason. Probably a good thing if you ask me.
Sponsored