Newbie question

Tito

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD Ranger, Not getting another, fuel in oil.
While consulting with "Manual", Ford seems to be concerned with driving conditions, drive conditions (2/4wd) and handling when using the "full size dissimilar spare wheel". Since Manual is not always clear when he speaks, I think he may be saying the spare wheel can do more than 50mph, as long as your differential is not locked, not using 4wd, and "drive cautiously".

Since he doesn't say specifically that the steel spare wheel is not capable of more than 50 mph, maybe it CAN do more than 50 mph?" ?

Here is a comparison chart I found on size of MY tires 265/60R18 (size 1) and my spare tire 265/65R17 (size 2). MY spare tire is .1" taller, .2" larger circumference, and is short 1 revolution/mile. My "full size dissimilar spare..." is a standard tire by all specs and not a true temp spare.

1597694006630.png

Sooooo, I theorize that I will not be turning left at 70mph if this taller tire is on the right side of the truck and vice versa. Oh yeah, a quick inspection of my dirty spare wheel, I couldn't find any markings to indicate the wheel was speed limited aside from the yellow warning sticker applied by Ford. If someone finds info on the wheel to indicate it is speed limited, I am glad to buy a "dissimilar wheel" that is not speed limited. At least Ford did not paint it yellow! :puke:
Sponsored

GrayGen

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Received Ranger September 19th. Hot Pepper Red Lariat 4x2. Locking rear axle 501 package Spray bedliner Bed extender & more
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Kent,

I am in total agreement that the Engineering Manager in charge of the 5G Ranger totally screwed up. I was responsible for the owners manual when at Ford and I took it seriously. I divided the manual transcripts into parts and had my engineers read and critique. The swapped the parts for another review. Then I read the transcripts several time before sending the draft manual back to the publisher with tons of red pencil remarks. Then got the final draft...still F*cked up. Back again. A very time consuming process. And Yes...we still missed things. Who ever was in charge of 2019 needs to be strung up by their ankles as they did a PISS POOR job of reviewing the manual. It is a total embarrassment in my opinion. WRT the spare tire, I am a stickler in understanding how to change a tire on the side of the road and the owners manual is so poor, the customer has no idea in an emergency, which is when the read the owners manual and it lets them down.

A pox on the person at Ford that allowed this abomination to be published.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Let's not forget that your flat will happen on a dark Rainy Nite on your way to dinner with your wife. Just saying

Ranger Roger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit, 2004 Honda ST1300abs, 2018 Honda HR-V
While consulting with "Manual", Ford seems to be concerned with driving conditions, drive conditions (2/4wd) and handling when using the "full size dissimilar spare wheel". Since Manual is not always clear when he speaks, I think he may be saying the spare wheel can do more than 50mph, as long as your differential is not locked, not using 4wd, and "drive cautiously".

Since he doesn't say specifically that the steel spare wheel is not capable of more than 50 mph, maybe it CAN do more than 50 mph?" ?

Here is a comparison chart I found on size of MY tires 265/60R18 (size 1) and my spare tire 265/65R17 (size 2). MY spare tire is .1" taller, .2" larger circumference, and is short 1 revolution/mile. My "full size dissimilar spare..." is a standard tire by all specs and not a true temp spare.

1597694006630.png

Sooooo, I theorize that I will not be turning left at 70mph if this taller tire is on the right side of the truck and vice versa. Oh yeah, a quick inspection of my dirty spare wheel, I couldn't find any markings to indicate the wheel was speed limited aside from the yellow warning sticker applied by Ford. If someone finds info on the wheel to indicate it is speed limited, I am glad to buy a "dissimilar wheel" that is not speed limited. At least Ford did not paint it yellow! :puke:
Just picked up my 2020 Ranger last week. Still reading through the manual and discovering new things. Spare tire size, yes, not really full size but close. The only other thing different is the yellow Stripe around the tread on the tire. Probably just a surface stripe to differentiate it from other normal running tires.

EDEACD26-5999-4711-89EB-A93AF7C7ACC0.jpeg

BowWow

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
I might add to the conversation about the lock in the access hole. It rusts solid after a few harsh winters. Removing it in a blizzard when it's no longer functional and you're 60 miles from nowhere becomes somewhat violent. This I know....

I'm going to find a rubber plug to replace the lock.