Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Platinum Lariat
Occupation
Educator
Hello everyone!

wanted to post here and let everyone know that I have had my 2019 Ranger Lariat for about 3 months and I absolutely love it.

i did have several problems with it the day it was delivered.
1. Door lock/unlock keypad was dead.
2. Rear seat lock was broken and would not latch.
3. Steering wheel controls would not work.

Thanks to this forum I knew that other people have had similar issues, too.

i have enjoyed reading everyone’s posts and look forward to being a part of this group!
Sponsored

JKocot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4, 2018 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer/Former Marine
Welcome to the group!

rparge

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired.
Howdy, regarding #2, no kidding, you have to give it a real hard close, almost feels like abuse to get it to latch.

Now....have you tried to open your arm rest in the back seat? :)

(Hint: Pull DOWN on the strap, not out.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
MathGod

MathGod

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Platinum Lariat
Occupation
Educator
Howdy, regarding #2, no kidding, you have to give it a real hard close, almost feels like abuse to get it to latch.

Before I purchased my truck I did a lot of research and tired to decide what would be the best Mid size truck for me.

I had seen that there were issues with the latch and I asked my salesman to check it out.

He could not get it to work. So before they even delivered it they took it to service....... one week later they had it fixed.

LoL

And you are right about the arm rest. Hard to believe it is so hard to release.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
It's a poor design. When you pull the tab it puts pressure against the latch preventing it from unlocking. If you hold the arm rest in place with one hand and then pull the tab with the other it releases fine.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Before I purchased my truck I did a lot of research and tired to decide what would be the best Mid size truck for me.

I had seen that there were issues with the latch and I asked my salesman to check it out.

He could not get it to work. So before they even delivered it they took it to service....... one week later they had it fixed.

LoL

Hi Rich,

Congrats on your purchase!

There are a few misses on Ranger that Ford did not get right for some reason. I believe there was a change in body assembly that was not addressed and the engineer on the program screwed up by not evaluating this him/herself. The fix is stupid. There should be a revision to the latching system, but it appears not the case. I hope the dealer fix works for you. I did my own as I was not going to shim the latch bail wire. Ended up turning the rubber bumpers down on one of my 4 lathes to the point where a gentle push results in a latch of the seat back. It is stupid things like this that drive people to a negative first impression of the Ranger after purchase. A clear miss as was the owner's manual. Sad, sad, sad.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome! Was never a forum guy before my ranger, but this place has great info and even better people!
Hi John,

Me neither....however I recognized that I might be able to contribute on these Forums and as an ambassador for Ford, I can either offer engineering insight or back stories to see inside Ford and how Ford Truck Engineering works. So far, so good except for a few trolls that you just have to take with a grain of salt or in my case a salt shaker....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Jml91

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Hi John,

Me neither....however I recognized that I might be able to contribute on these Forums and as an ambassador for Ford, I can either offer engineering insight or back stories to see inside Ford and how Ford Truck Engineering works. So far, so good except for a few trolls that you just have to take with a grain of salt or in my case a salt shaker....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hi Phil!

I see You around here quite a bit! Always enjoy seeing your insight on a variety of subjects! We are happy to have you here. And keep the salt handy, the trolls are allergic ?

RAYJAY

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger pickup 2019 subaru
Hi Rich,

Congrats on your purchase!

There are a few misses on Ranger that Ford did not get right for some reason. I believe there was a change in body assembly that was not addressed and the engineer on the program screwed up by not evaluating this him/herself. The fix is stupid. There should be a revision to the latching system, but it appears not the case. I hope the dealer fix works for you. I did my own as I was not going to shim the latch bail wire. Ended up turning the rubber bumpers down on one of my 4 lathes to the point where a gentle push results in a latch of the seat back. It is stupid things like this that drive people to a negative first impression of the Ranger after purchase. A clear miss as was the owner's manual. Sad, sad, sad.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Phil is the rear seat back latch ? my 2020 is also not working right .

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil is the rear seat back latch ? my 2020 is also not working right .
Hi Jeff,

There is a TSB on the seat back latch, but I do not think it is robust enough. You remove the right inboard bumper at the top of the seat back, tap over the hole and you are good to go...on maybe not... I also cut down the right outboard to be about half as tall...this seemed to work effectively without resulting in seat rattle. Others have shimmed the latch with fender washers which also proved effective. Swing and a miss on Ford's part. It does latch when you really slam it but I am afraid of breaking the backlite.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

l0rdv8r

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.reddit.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
CTO @ NASA

Oh my god, that thing is a bad word to get open.... My wife broke the black pull string trying to get it open for the kids.....

l0rdv8r

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.reddit.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
CTO @ NASA
Hello everyone!

wanted to post here and let everyone know that I have had my 2019 Ranger Lariat for about 3 months and I absolutely love it.

i did have several problems with it the day it was delivered.
1. Door lock/unlock keypad was dead.
2. Rear seat lock was broken and would not latch.
3. Steering wheel controls would not work.

Thanks to this forum I knew that other people have had similar issues, too.

i have enjoyed reading everyone’s posts and look forward to being a part of this group!
Welcome to the forums! I live across the state line from you, in Mississippi. We're just north of Slidell, LA actually.,
Sponsored