Mountain bike tailgate cover/pad

mountainmerit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lightning Blue Lariat FX4
I have a Kuat Piston 2-bike (the newer one that contacts the tires) mounted on the Kuat swinging hitch so I can access the bed.

For over the bed mounting, I have a Pace-Edwards hard-top rolling tonneau cover that uses the slatted sides, so I had a co-worker weld me a rack that bolts to the channel. On that rack, I have a Kuat basket w/ two thru-axle fork mounts that I'll use if I'm not using my RTT.

Good shuttle rig that can fit four riders and plenty of gear with none of the bikes hanging off a pad... if you're driving forest roads, the bikes will still dent your gate even with the pad.
Sponsored

Reactions: EJH

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
What's the wheelbase and tire size? Tire size plays a big role in fit also.
newsflash - wheelbase is a component of the geometry.

I can tell by looking at yours that the frame size is on the smaller side. even if yours is a medium sized frame like mine, it's small in comparison.

don't know what my wheelbase is because mine isn't an off-the-shelf build. but I do know that because I used a longer travel fork than OEM, that my wheelbase is longer than OEM.

my tires aren't much different from yours at 2.6". maybe that's the size you're using, too. can't tell. maybe fractions of an inch different. sure, tire size would be a big difference if you were talking about a fatbike or something. but it's not.

Deleted member 15875

newsflash - wheelbase is a component of the geometry.

I can tell by looking at yours that the frame size is on the smaller side. even if yours is a medium sized frame like mine, it's small in comparison.

don't know what my wheelbase is because mine isn't an off-the-shelf build. but I do know that because I used a longer travel fork than OEM, that my wheelbase is longer than OEM.

my tires aren't much different from yours at 2.6". maybe that's the size you're using, too. can't tell. maybe fractions of an inch different. sure, tire size would be a big difference if you were talking about a fatbike or something. but it's not.
Newsflash, Specialized don't come sized in small medium, large. I've been riding bikes for 45 years so easy on what you think I know or don't know. And to add, my tires aren't 2.6. too funny. You make a lot of assumptions.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Newsflash, Specialized don't come sized in small medium, large. I've been riding bikes for 45 years so easy on what you think I know or don't know. And to add, my tires aren't 2.6. too funny. You make a lot of assumptions.
:rolleyes:

Doesn't matter what the brand chooses to name their sizes. Specialized doesn't offer one-size-fits-all sizing like you might find on a walmart bike.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Review of the Specialized website shows that bike is likely a s-works turbo kenevo sl. Wheelbase is 1228mm on the smallest frame. Seems like a pretty standard wheelbase these days.

I've never tried to carry my bike diagonally like this. My Santa Cruz 5010 has a wheelbase of 1191mm. It is a 27.5 so a little shorter than 29ers. I still prefer a rack of some kind to keep the bike secure.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15875

Review of the Specialized website shows that bike is likely a s-works turbo kenevo sl. Wheelbase is 1228mm on the smallest frame. Seems like a pretty standard wheelbase these days.

I've never tried to carry my bike diagonally like this. My Santa Cruz 5010 has a wheelbase of 1191mm. It is a 27.5 so a little shorter than 29ers. I still prefer a rack of some kind to keep the bike secure.
S3=1,258 mm, reach=460 mm,

Reactions: EJH

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
Partial Thread revival, I ended up with the swagman Bar this spring. First 100 miles round trip camping with one adult bike 3 kid bikes, and the camper. Worked well, and bonus swapping the one bar for my trifold soft cover is a quick 10 minute process by myself.

20230619_115107.jpg

20230619_115119.jpg
Sponsored