Mountain bike tailgate cover/pad

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Bout to get back into mountain biking again, sold my bike in 2018 after a good crash leading me to get to surgery.

i know there has to be others here that partake in this sport. Was wondering what you guys use to transport yalls bikes? I have a tonneau cover so just laying it flat is out of the question, maybe. But really wanted one of those pads that allow u to hang the bike over the tailgate.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
I have Thule roof rack with Thule bike rack. I have the older rapid traverse (490r?) feet, so I had to get the fit kit from Europe to secure the cross bars. The biggest issue with this setup is no drive-thru. Since my tonneau cover folds and can be propped in fully open position if several friends and I are going out in the Ranger I also have a race face tailgate pad.
camping - Copy.jpg

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Here in the Philippines I have a Hollywood. ??

20220524_133957.jpg

AvalancheFX4

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Avalanche grey Lariat Ranger w/ fx4 package
Occupation
Keeping it real
I use a Thule Rack. A Camber 4 bike rack. I also have Thule tailgate pad but haven't used it yet. Feel more comfortable keeping the bikes away from the truck.

83F22D96-1EFB-4FF3-A1D0-CB995AC6F1F8.jpeg

Sanctus Rimor

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RMT Ranger
I had a Yakima cover in the past that was great. I bought it used an it was for full sized pickup, which turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as it provided better coverage. (covered the whole tailgate).

I use a hitch rack now. Kuat. Pricey, but the best I've seen.

Azhang253

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Occupation
Network Engineer
Harbor freight rack I modified, welded it solid (not folding anymore) and welded it to a 2” receiver. t’s not fancy, but it’s super cheap and works well honestly.

I also welded a d-ring to run my lock through the bikes and the rack, while the rack is locked to the vehicle with a locking pin.

At some point, I’m going to build a rack that holds the bikes by the wheels. I’m thinking of making it swing out, similar to some tire carriers on Jeeps. That way I still have access to the tailgate.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Bout to get back into mountain biking again, sold my bike in 2018 after a good crash leasing me to get into surgery.

i know there has to be others here that partake in this sport. Was wondering what you guys use to transport yalls bikes? I have a tonneau cover so just laying it flat is out of the question, maybe. But really wanted one of those pads that allow u to hang the bike over the tailgate.
Best solution is either a cradle style hitch rack or a thru axle mount. Might be able to mount a wheel cradle on top of the tonneau cover depending on the style.

Tailgate pads are easy but in my experience they're really bad on the frame paint. There are a few spots of bare metal on my bike's down tube from tailgate pad and latchit rack use. I only use a thru axle mount now.

Last edited:

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT, Volkswagon Tiguan, Can Am Ryker
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I roll my tonneau cover back, pop the front wheel off, and lay my bike in the bed. I also take out my bed extender.
Takes the better part of 2 minutes to load up.

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
Bout to get back into mountain biking again, sold my bike in 2018 after a good crash leasing me to get into surgery.

I use a hitch rack. I'm OCD and worry that the pad could scratch the tailgate paint. ?

PXL_20220721_201529652.jpg

OP
OP
Jrel209

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
I roll my tonneau cover back, pop the front wheel off, and lay my bike in the bed. I also take out my bed extender.
Takes the better part of 2 minutes to load up.
This may be the route i take, didnt realize those tailgate pads mess up paint, but putting it in trunk by taking front wheel off is how i used to transport it in my jetta. But hated it because it took some time putting back seats down, clearing out trunk, laying some mover blankets down…… with the truck i can just take wheel off and throw it in there. Just gotta make sure the cover closes with it back there.

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
This may be the route i take, didnt realize those tailgate pads mess up paint, but putting it in trunk by taking front wheel off is how i used to transport it in my jetta. But hated it because it took some time putting back seats down, clearing out trunk, laying some mover blankets down…… with the truck i can just take wheel off and throw it in there. Just gotta make sure the cover closes with it back there.
Sometimes the elegant solution is the most simple one

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Haven't put my mountain bike in there yet, but for my road bike I just take off the front wheel and slide it in. I have the spray in bed liner so not worried about scratching the bed. Leaves the rear camera unobstructed. I do have a hitch mounted rack that I use if I am going somewhere that I have stuff to put in the bed.

OP
OP
Jrel209

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Haven't put my mountain bike in there yet, but for my road bike I just take off the front wheel and slide it in. I have the spray in bed liner so not worried about scratching the bed. Leaves the rear camera unobstructed. I do have a hitch mounted rack that I use if I am going somewhere that I have stuff to put in the bed.
same lineX ftw

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I avoid tailgate pads They can damage the paint as well as dent the tailgate. Our Ranger tailgates are made out of aluminum and imagine that they dent fairly easy.

I use a hitch style rack that supports the bike by the tires, no frame contact. When I tow my travel trailer, and want to bring the bike, I use a rack on my bed rack that also just cradles the tires with no frame contact.

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
has anyone used a variation on this? 1663687118030.png
(picture is linked to manufacturer)

I have a travel trailer, and the rear bumper is such that mounting bikes to that is a no no. (IE a 4 bike rack can start to bend it per the manufacturer) which means soon I will need to put 3-4 bikes in the bed of the truck. 2 adult and 2 kid sizes. I have a lined bed not worried about scratches, just stacking it all in securely.
Sponsored