First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
Any more details on the meeting point and time? It may be worth going the night before to camp out and have an easy start in the morning.

What Comms are you guys running? I have a built-in GMRS and a cheap handheld HAM.

Did you guys want to have a meetup before hand?
Sponsored

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Man you guys are gonna have a good time. I’ve driven a bunch of military vehicles on the Mannix Trail heading south out of Fort Irwin. I can imagine doing something like that in my ranger. Unfortunately I’m in Tennessee..

OP
OP
Pathung

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I'm also very excited about this trip! I don't have any
radios other than the one in the dash. Do you have any suggestions on what kind I should get?
You can start with a GMRS radio (more powerful than FRS), which requires a $70 (good for ten years) FCC license, plus ideally a rooftop magnetic antenna for better range. An alternative is a CB radio, which would also require an external antenna (rooftop magnetic or a 3 or 4-ft. whip, attached to one's bumper/chassis) - no license/fee required. Knowing what I know, I'd opt for a GMRS - it can talk to regular FRS radios, which makes it much more useful than CB. CB, however, has better range, but for our purposes, GMRS more than suffices.

Drew, as you can see, we're not set on Comms yet, so bring all you've got. I have a GMRS, CB, as well as a mobile ham radio.

We don't yet have a meeting point/time setup, but we can potentially meet up and spend the night on Thursday in a nearby town.

EDIT: I've corrected a mistake above in GMRS license fee - it is $70 for ten years, not $10.

Last edited:

themikeyan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Lariat FX4
Mike, can you send me info. on those camping stops that you've used? Much appreciated, and I hope that you can join us!!

I just found out that Overland Bound has a trail maintenance event on the exact dates that we're planning our run (10/22~10/24), so there will more traffic than usual... finally, it's deer season - lots of trucks with gun-toting folks (from a poster on Overland Bound), if that's a concern for you; I know that I won't be starting any fights.

Also, I was reminded that the National Park requires a permit for groups larger than 7 vehicles (I'll confirm this) - I have one friend coming along, so we're currently at 7 (see first post) - if you CANNOT commit yet, and your name's on the list, please let me know and I'll move your name to a "maybe" list, so as to keep better track of who's coming.

Thanks guys, I'm really looking forward to this!

Do you all have at least an FRS/GMRS radio? CB is fine too (I have one). I'll also have a ham radio with me.
Sorry Pat, been pretty crazy with work. Will send over tonight. If I do make it, I have multiple loaner radios if we need, I personally run ham and gmrs.

I would not be too worried going past 7, I did my last Mojave trip with 15, but that's because a buddy didn't tell me he invited 4 others. With that said, one of our guys did a ton of Sar with the rangers out there and said as long as we're not stupidly drawing attention to ourselves we'll be fine

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
I have an amature license not the GMRS. My truck with luck is back on the road next week after 7weeks being down. Might have to go on the reserve list for this trip in case peeps pull out. I’m next door in Vegas.

Reactions: Doc

Kawffin

First Name
Marlow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Cultivation technician II
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry Pat, been pretty crazy with work. Will send over tonight. If I do make it, I have multiple loaner radios if we need, I personally run ham and gmrs.

I would not be too worried going past 7, I did my last Mojave trip with 15, but that's because a buddy didn't tell me he invited 4 others. With that said, one of our guys did a ton of Sar with the rangers out there and said as long as we're not stupidly drawing attention to ourselves we'll be fine
I'd appreciate a loaner as I don't see myself needing a gmrs radio much after this trip. Unless we all go on another !

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
[QUOTE="

6) depending on other camping around that time, I may try to join you guys. If the October olaf gets cancelled the weekend before I'll be in for sure. But I can't commit quite yet.

Mike
[/QUOTE]
Mike, you going to Olaf in a Ranger group or just meeting there? I may go for Saturday night.

themikeyan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Lariat FX4
[QUOTE="

6) depending on other camping around that time, I may try to join you guys. If the October olaf gets cancelled the weekend before I'll be in for sure. But I can't commit quite yet.

Mike
Mike, you going to Olaf in a Ranger group or just meeting there? I may go for Saturday night.
[/QUOTE]

I'll be part of the peak campsite at olaf, I'll be there both nights. Since this month looks like a bust for camping I'm looking into possibly doing both olaf and Mojave road next month.

OP
OP
Pathung

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Guys, this just became apparent late last week - I now have a schedule conflict for those dates, so will no longer be able to lead/run this trail with you guys; my best chance to do so would be spring of 2022.

The good news is that 1) Anyone can make/lead this run with the proper trail guide (I was going to use the FunTreks book), so any of you could take up the mantle or jointly get it done. 2) There is a possibility that Mike Yan can participate, as he'd stated before, and he's an old-hand at this particular trail. Mike also has a list of camping spots that will be extremely handy, which I'm sure that he's happy to share.

I apologize for throwing an unexpected wrench into this trip, but it still has a very good chance of going forward, if you can jointly put it together. I hope that the run takes place, and that you all have a great time doing it!

themikeyan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Lariat FX4
As much as I don't want to take over for Pat, if everyone else is still committed I should be able to take over the lead on this trip. I feel really bad for Pat ?

Kawffin

First Name
Marlow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Cultivation technician II
Vehicle Showcase
As much as I don't want to take over for Pat, if everyone else is still committed I should be able to take over the lead on this trip. I feel really bad for Pat ?
I am definitely still committed and am still going.

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
Mike, still not sure if I'll make it. The OB Mojave road clean up is that weekend too and I'm going in November with another OB Group. I got my ticket for Olaf so I'll see you there.

themikeyan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Lariat FX4
Bump to see who's still in, going to open it up to a couple of extra rigs potentially