"Mojave Road" in the Fall

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
A Mojave Road trip is being planned for the weekend of 10/22~10/24, 2021. We will stage in/near Needles, and hit the trail on Friday morning (10/22). Three driving days and two dispersed-camping nights. Total mileage is approximately 140 miles, with avg. traveling speed of 15~20 mph. We will travel from east (Needles) to west (toward Barstow).

Please post below if you're interested.

A maximum 6 or 7 rigs would be ideal (but 3 would be sufficient); we currently have the following interested parties:

Pathung
Kawffin
DrewKD88
dondonbabyraptor
pleatherface
rental_car

Here's a video for starters:

Sponsored

Last edited:

Kawffin

First Name
Marlow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Cultivation technician II
Vehicle Showcase
Any interest in doing Mojave Road, Oct./Nov. 2021, from Needles toward Barstow?
I'm down, I've been thinking about doing this trail for a year now but I don't really wanna do it alone . Im even up for September (my birthday is on the 17th).

OP
OP
Pathung

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I agree that it's a bad idea to do it alone - hence the thread. It'd be great if we can get a few more rigs to come along - four or five would be ideal. How much offroading have you done?

I was thinking mid-Fall or so to make the run, when it's cooler in the desert; what do you think? I also need to firm up which week I'm available to actually do this.

Kawffin

First Name
Marlow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I agree that it's a bad idea to do it alone - hence the thread. It'd be great if we can get a few more rigs to come along - four or five would be ideal. How much offroading have you done?

I was thinking mid-Fall or so to make the run, when it's cooler in the desert; what do you think? I also need to firm up which week I'm available to actually do this.
Ive done enough not to be fresh but not enough to be experienced. The most technical trail I've done was schnebly hill in sedona az. Made it out without a scratch. It should start to cool down late October, how many days do you think it'll take ?

OP
OP
Pathung

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I've never been to Schnebly Hill, but it looks like a nice place. I've done some trail-running in the Sierras, as well as Bald Mountain near Shaver Lake, but the most fun was Moab, with a large group of Nissan Frontier and Xterras (event name is GoneMoab - searchable).

I don't have an installed winch, but may be able to rig one up before the trip (it was installed on my old Frontier. I have a full complement of recovery gear - shovel, lift, straps, etc. I also have an ARB air compressor for airing back up.

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
I'm interested in doing this. Thinking of getting my Overland Bound group to do this. Maybe it will be a Ranger group instead........

OP
OP
Pathung

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Hey Drew, keep me updated on your OB efforts, as I wouldn't mind joining them; in the meanwhile, we'll keep planning away here... welcome!

Is that an RTT on the back of your truck? I used to rent them when I had racks.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Any specifics about this trail? Length? Is there a trail rating? I’m not familiar with it. I could ask peeps at work. One guy is born and raised in Needles and I’m sure he knows a little about it.

My FX4 ride is stock, so if stock is doable I’m down with it. Got rid of my wrangler on 35” and all tricked out for the rough stuff. Got lots of off road time just not in the truck.

OP
OP
Pathung

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Joe, your FX4 should be fine; you could probably do most of the trail in 2WD, though there may be a few spots where you'd put a few scrape marks on your skid plates. I have an FX4 with the Ford Fox suspension and 32" M/T tires.

At a relaxed pace, the trip should take 3 days and 2 nights, with sights to see and byways to explore, if desired; total mileage is in the 130's or so - not long, with avg. speed between 15 and 20 mph. To see what the trail is like, watch the following video:

3-day overview

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Super reply!!! Thanks for the info. I would be down for the trip.

Kawffin

First Name
Marlow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've never been to Schnebly Hill, but it looks like a nice place. I've done some trail-running in the Sierras, as well as Bald Mountain near Shaver Lake, but the most fun was Moab, with a large group of Nissan Frontier and Xterras (event name is GoneMoab - searchable).

I don't have an installed winch, but may be able to rig one up before the trip (it was installed on my old Frontier. I have a full complement of recovery gear - shovel, lift, straps, etc. I also have an ARB air compressor for airing back up.
Gonemoab looks like a hoot. I have all the same gear but no winch but with a group we should be ok without it. It's a desert anyway, there probably won't be much to winch to.

OP
OP
Pathung

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Best about GoneMoab is that it accepts ANY make truck/SUV, and it's great group of organizers, all avid 4-wheelers. I last attended in 2017, and brought my family with me. I'm hoping to do it again next May.

As to our Mojave Road trip here, it's starting to look like the week/end of 10/18 - we hit the trail on Friday Oct 22, and complete the trail sometime on Sunday Oct 24. I hope that these dates work for everyone, as this may be my only time off before Xmas. I'd like to make the trip before the rains come (if they ever do again), and parts of the trail (Soda Lake, river crossings) become impassable.

BTW, I'm keeping track of interested rigs in the first post - so far we have FOUR. I think that a max of about six rigs is about right.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Dammm. 21-27 Oct is night shift for me. I work a week on and a week off schedule.

Kawffin

First Name
Marlow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Best about GoneMoab is that it accepts ANY make truck/SUV, and it's great group of organizers, all avid 4-wheelers. I last attended in 2017, and brought my family with me. I'm hoping to do it again next May.

As to our Mojave Road trip here, it's starting to look like the week/end of 10/18 - we hit the trail on Friday Oct 22, and complete the trail sometime on Sunday Oct 24. I hope that these dates work for everyone, as this may be my only time off before Xmas. I'd like to make the trip before the rains come (if they ever do again), and parts of the trail (Soda Lake, river crossings) become impassable.

BTW, I'm keeping track of interested rigs in the first post - so far we have FOUR. I think that a max of about six rigs is about right.
This works perfect for me I am 100% here for it.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Possibly a yes. Have to check classes to see if I have big tests on those dates. Won’t know until September. Thanks for all the info.
Sponsored