Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 VW R32/2023 CG XLT Scab FX4 Ranger
Occupation
VW Parts
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at options for exterior lighting and stuff, and unless you got a Tremor (or a Bronco :rolleyes: ) there's not a lot of simple factory looking options for us "regular" Ranger peeps lol. Plus, having to feed wires and crap through the firewall and the dash is not something I really want to do lol, so I been leaning towards a wireless set up. I was watching some Overlanding Expo vids on new products on YT and happened to watch this one video with this wireless set up (I believe it was this one)

https://triggercontroller.com/trigger-controller-4-plus/

I did some searching and have seen a few with this set up, was wondering how has it held up? Any issues, set up wise or other unforeseen issues? And was set up as easy as it's portrayed? Thanks

I like they offer these mounts that I can put in that "cubby" space on the dash :like:

Untitled.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

puda

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler
Occupation
Industrial Automation
They're pretty proud of it, but I've been looking at the Garmin PowerSwitch. I plan to get the Garmin Tread for mapping so having the ability to control the switches from that unit, my phone, or Android Auto on the dash is a feature I would appreciate. I don't actually have one to be able to speak to the functionality of the PowerSwitch, but I have been happy with every Garmin product I have purchased so far. The Tremor switches are lacking the ability to power anything with the truck off so don't feel like you are missing out on much!

OP
OP
veedubtuner

veedubtuner

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
VW Parts
Vehicle Showcase
They're pretty proud of it, but I've been looking at the Garmin PowerSwitch. I plan to get the Garmin Tread for mapping so having the ability to control the switches from that unit, my phone, or Android Auto on the dash is a feature I would appreciate. I don't actually have one to be able to speak to the functionality of the PowerSwitch, but I have been happy with every Garmin product I have purchased so far. The Tremor switches are lacking the ability to power anything with the truck off so don't feel like you are missing out on much!
$235 For the 4 toggle seems reasonable (unless I'm missing something) for what all you get, and the dash mount is like another $24. I don't see myself needing more than 4 switches so this would be perfect. I'll look into that Garmin as well, thanks.

*edit I may have read your reply wrong lol, you were saying Garmin is pretty proud of their product?

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
$235 For the 4 toggle seems reasonable (unless I'm missing something) for what all you get, and the dash mount is like another $24. I don't see myself needing more than 4 switches so this would be perfect. I'll look into that Garmin as well, thanks.

*edit I may have read your reply wrong lol, you were saying Garmin is pretty proud of their product?
I don't see myself "needing" more than 6 switches the tremor has . . .

until I added ditch lights, and 4 exterior lights around the bed. Each side controlled independent of the rear plus a 4th switch for the backlight feature for all the lights . . . LOL

1 empty - possible winch or compressor
2 ditch lights
3 left bed
4 right bed
5 rear bed
6 backlight bed lights

that said, I wanted the ability to turn os as little light as possible - ie turn lights on for just the side we are on when at camp, so we aren't lite up for all to see...

I have not seen what is really out there that is "new". Keep an eye on expandability in the future, as well as the ability to add additional switch locations - ie besides using an app, can you put an actual controller in the bed, or can it be hand held - ie kept in the tent or bed of the truck. I think Ozark Overland (youtube) has a setup that has a wireless controller he uses in the bed of his Gladiator.

I think this is what Ozark Overland has - https://auxbeam.com/products/qp009818 ~260 bucks for 8 switches and 2 panels. . . maybe it isn't wireless, I will have to look for the video where they talk about the switches.

Last edited:

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase

it should start with him eatting at the tailgate, the switch panel is mounted to his bed rack . . .

puda

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler
Occupation
Industrial Automation

Yeah, Garmin is pretty proud of the PowerSwitch at $400. But, I would pay the extra $165 to not have to run wires through the firewall and gain the ability to control things through the display the truck already has. Seems like a really clean install. To gain switches in the bed, you could mount the power switch in the bed of the truck as it can go anywhere. Or, you could use your phone when around at camp.

I was assuming you were using the switches for camping because you mentioned overlanding, is this your desired use?

One thing that chewed up more of my switches than I anticipated was backlighting options on aftermarket lights. If you want to use the backlighting, each of your lights banks will use up 2 switches. I am using 4 switches for an air compressor, fog lights, and ditch lights with backlighting. I had 4 in my last Jeep and used all 4 wishing I had 6.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
When you think you have the right number of switches, add another 2 or 4. 😂

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I can't speak for those switches right off, but I am curious how many accessories you plan to add that require separate switches?

OP
OP
veedubtuner

veedubtuner

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
VW Parts
Vehicle Showcase
I was assuming you were using the switches for camping because you mentioned overlanding, is this your desired use?
This is the plan.

I like how Garmin allows you to add additional control panels, thats pretty cool. I have plenty of "camping lights" so adding additional light for that purpose on the truck isn't necessary for me. But, I am aware I may need the 6 toggle option for rear chase lights and such, so I'm keeping my options open.

OP
OP
veedubtuner

veedubtuner

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
VW Parts
Vehicle Showcase
I can't speak for those switches right off, but I am curious how many accessories you plan to add that require separate switches?
Some ditch lights to start, I was thinking of some slim light bars for the bumper slots, a light bar at some point, maybe some chase lights, possibly a winch down the line...of the top of my head. Really wont know what I need till I start exploring and such.

puda

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler
Occupation
Industrial Automation
Some ditch lights to start, I was thinking of some slim light bars for the bumper slots, a light bar at some point, maybe some chase lights, possibly a winch down the line...of the top of my head. Really wont know what I need till I start exploring and such.
I have a similar setup to what you are describing and I would highly recommend 6 switches. I had 4 in my Gladiator and I was using all of them.

PXL_20230914_162916788.jpg

OP
OP
veedubtuner

veedubtuner

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
VW Parts
Vehicle Showcase
I have a similar setup to what you are describing and I would highly recommend 6 switches. I had 4 in my Gladiator and I was using all of them.

PXL_20230914_162916788.jpg
Of course you have the best color, looks good man
giphy.gif
😍

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I would do some exploring before ordering the switch panel. It is possible you may need more than 4, but then again 4 might be all you need. As for options I guess it depends on how you want to do it. For wireless the Garmin Switch does look nice, but it depends if you want to run it off Android Auto/CarPlay or off a Garmin GPS if that is your fancy. I also know there is the Switch Pro. It does have you run a small harness through the firewall but gives you 8 switches I believe.

As a reminder what trim level do you have and what options it have?

puda

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler
Occupation
Industrial Automation
OP
OP
veedubtuner

veedubtuner

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
VW Parts
Vehicle Showcase
I would do some exploring before ordering the switch panel.

As a reminder what trim level do you have and what options it have?
That's the plan, I think my actual first purchase with be a portable compressor. I'm just doing research for now. XLT w/ FX4, Black appearance and Tow.
Sponsored