"Location and vehicle data sharing enabled" message

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
This is due to how your vehicle communicates with Ford Pass. The catch is when you connect via usb for CarPlay, this service needs a bluetooth connection. CarPlay disables that bluetooth connection upon connection. Once that happens, the system throws this error.

There are 2 ways to get rid of this message permanently and both suck.

1. Don't use CarPlay (not sure about android auto) and allow your phone to connect via bluetooth when the truck starts.

2. Turn off the Ford Pass features which will disable Ford Pass remote start, lock/unlock, vehicle location etc.

Sync 3.4 does not fix this message. I get it every single day. It goes away on its own after about 5 seconds so I just ignore it now.
I use AndroidAuto and have Ford Pass enabled and have never seen this message popup. Must be an iPhone quirk.
Sponsored

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I think you have to turn off the Ford Pass stuff
I have androids and never have used the usb, do have Ford Pass enabled so it must be that. thanks

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Emissions testing supplier
I have androids and never have used the usb, do have Ford Pass enabled so it must be that. thanks
I use AndroidAuto and have Ford Pass enabled and have never seen this message popup. Must be an iPhone quirk.
That would mean that Android Auto is keeping the BT connection in tact.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
That would mean that Android Auto is keeping the BT connection in tact.
It absolutely does. The first time you plug in it pairs the phone via BT. Phone call audio is still handled by BT, Media is done over USB.

Link to source info

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
I think we are missing something else. I don't see the message when using only Blue Tooth. I'll look at my Sync Settings and share them with you. Just confirm you have your phone paired via BT?

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
I used to get this frequently. No matter if my phone was paired or not.
Have not gotten the message since updating to Sync 3.4 and disabling the Hot Spot.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think we are missing something else. I don't see the message when using only Blue Tooth. I'll look at my Sync Settings and share them with you. Just confirm you have your phone paired via BT?
yes paired via BT. I only get the message when I don't bring the phone along with me - that is something that some can't comprehend, but now retired and on my prior job always had to have the phone with me.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
yes paired via BT. I only get the message when I don't bring the phone along with me - that is something that some can't comprehend, but now retired and on my prior job always had to have the phone with me.
Probably why I haven't seen it. I don't see why it needs to pop-up for you every time, bad UX decision if you ask me. I would hate to lose Ford Pass functions though. You could always file a complaint and hope it's addressed in a software update.

Tiggger1531

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
retired USAF
Check your Bluetooth on your phone. If is turned off it will bring up this message. Had it happen on mine and I had forgotten to turn my Bluetooth back on. It went away when I turned it on.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check your Bluetooth on your phone. If is turned off it will bring up this message. Had it happen on mine and I had forgotten to turn my Bluetooth back on. It went away when I turned it on.
if I don't have the phone with me in the vehicle, it's essentially the same as having BT turned off as it doesn't see the phone and I will get the da message.

OP
OP
scubalizard

scubalizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I have an iPhone. BT is on and connected via USB and get the message randomly (sometime right away, sometimes 10min into my commute). Only BT, no message, but then I cannot charge my phone. Only connect via USB then the message pops up right away. No phone get the message right away.
Crazy that this was not thought of during app development.

The Long Ranger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Supercab XLT 302a 18" PVD Chrome pkg., 15 Focus SE, 65 Falcon Futura Hardtop, 56 Chevy 3100 Shortbed, 05 Pontiac Vibe (700,000 miles), 93 Nissan King Cab, 05 Sebring Limited convertible (Joyride), 17 American Landmaster 450E, wife has some kind of Cadillac
Occupation
HotShot ......no, really
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if this is connected to the FordPass detail I get that says " Location setting disabled"?

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
I have an iPhone. BT is on and connected via USB and get the message randomly (sometime right away, sometimes 10min into my commute). Only BT, no message, but then I cannot charge my phone. Only connect via USB then the message pops up right away. No phone get the message right away.
Crazy that this was not thought of during app development.
This prompt is a device bluetooth issue. You need a device with active BT connection for this prompt to not appear. No phone? Prompt. Phone and BT on? No Prompt. Phone and BT off? Prompt. Old flip phone with old BT? Prompt (sometimes). Timing of the prompt varies from some reason I cannot discover yet.

With Android Auto, it is not a problem since android maintains the BT connection for calls and the cable for data. When you connect an iPhone via USB, the cable handles all the functions and BT is turned off. If you want to just charge the phone, use the rear USB ports. Apple's extreme app restrictions caused too many issues for me years ago and I haven't looked back since swapping to Android (which still has it's issues - my OnePlus 7t soemtimes changes the Nav voice for no reason!)

OP
OP
scubalizard

scubalizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
This prompt is a device bluetooth issue. You need a device with active BT connection for this prompt to not appear. No phone? Prompt. Phone and BT on? No Prompt. Phone and BT off? Prompt. Old flip phone with old BT? Prompt (sometimes). Timing of the prompt varies from some reason I cannot discover yet.

With Android Auto, it is not a problem since android maintains the BT connection for calls and the cable for data. When you connect an iPhone via USB, the cable handles all the functions and BT is turned off. If you want to just charge the phone, use the rear USB ports. Apple's extreme app restrictions caused too many issues for me years ago and I haven't looked back since swapping to Android (which still has it's issues - my OnePlus 7t soemtimes changes the Nav voice for no reason!)
The sync apps are nearly useless, might as well not have a phone or smart radio. Thank you for the info. I was going to bring it in to see if Ford can fix it, but it sounds like until 3.4 is released for the ranger I am stuck.
Sponsored