Alex Bedrosian

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger xlt fx4
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone tried to mount large round "spot" style lights, or even a 14-20" "spot," style light bar behind the grill yet? I have an XLT, i feel like the grill pattern is open enough to put functional lights back there.

Any thing I should be considering?

Any suggestions are welcome, below are the two options I was considering

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016LOUAWQ/ref=ox_sc_act_image_4?smid=AKV6F8RVBNOAK&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ET7721E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=AXEJX2LGR9968&psc=1
Sponsored

ISUACE

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Not round lights but I had posted this in another thread.

20191028_225855.jpg

Deleted member 1634

With something bright enough, like a spot style light, I'm sure you could get plenty of useful light out from behind the grille. The holes in the honeycomb pattern on this XLT grille are pretty big. I mounted my smaller "fog" style lights in front of the grille. I like the look of it better this way, gives it a bit more distinctive look that I like.

I know there a couple people on here who have mounted the light bar style behind the grille.

IMG_20191004_130447723_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Alex Bedrosian

Alex Bedrosian

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger xlt fx4
Vehicle Showcase
With something bright enough, like a spot style light, I'm sure you could get plenty of useful light out from behind the grille. The holes in the honeycomb pattern on this XLT grille are pretty big. I mounted my smaller "fog" style lights in front of the grille. I like the look of it better this way, gives it a bit more distinctive look that I like.

I know there a couple people on here who have mounted the light bar style behind the grille.

IMG_20191004_130447723_HDR.jpg

How did you mount those? I like that look too

Deleted member 1634

How did you mount those? I like that look too
The bracket on these particular lights was able to rotate 90deg. So I just got some longer mounting bolts and put them right through the lower slot on the grille, and clamped them tight with the nut and some large area washers. No holes drilled or anything so I can take them off without any sign they were ever there if I ever wanted. And their clamped tight enough that they haven't moved at all. I can take some closer pictures later if you'd like.

ISUACE

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
NICE!

Do you have photos on the mount/process

Did you buy mounts/brackets or make your own?
I made my own... used existing threaded bolt holes to mount the 90 degree brackets.

20200120_120507.jpg

OP
OP
Alex Bedrosian

Alex Bedrosian

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger xlt fx4
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you both for the advise, I am trying to figure out how I want to do a big "spot," style light. and I like both of your solutions

I want to keep the roof clean but I was starting to think a roof rack would be the way to go, which would make the parking garages in Park City unavailable to be when I wanted to go mountain biking.

I tried making my own brackets to mount to the door sills for a wind shield light bar but i have just never loved that look (unless it was the big round defender style lights)

OP
OP
Alex Bedrosian

Alex Bedrosian

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger xlt fx4
Vehicle Showcase
The bracket on these particular lights was able to rotate 90deg. So I just got some longer mounting bolts and put them right through the lower slot on the grille, and clamped them tight with the nut and some large area washers. No holes drilled or anything so I can take them off without any sign they were ever there if I ever wanted. And their clamped tight enough that they haven't moved at all. I can take some closer pictures later if you'd like.
A closer picture would be great!

Deleted member 1634

should be, some people on here clearly aren't truck people. Fiesta's are more to their liking.

but i do think the ranger would look good with a grill with two large round lights in it. I like the lines of the Ranger, I dont like bolting things on outside of those lines. any add ons like that I think look best tucked in somewhere.
As an aside: What is a truck person? Is it impossible to be more than one "type" of person? Can I not like trucks and Mustangs and Fiestas?