Kayak fishing anyone ??

FASRanger

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2014 Mustang GT/CS and a 1989 GT Mustang vert.
Occupation
Aerospace Lab Technician
Vehicle Showcase
I've been trying to kayak fish for the last 3 years...got our yaks in 2018 and went outa couple times then it rained like forever.... 2019 was the summer of our beloved chocolate lab Cali declining and ultimately passing in September, 34 days before her 9th birthday :( now we have 2020 and
Covid-19.. can we just catch a break please!!!!!!
Sponsored

khoff90

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Bumping this thread as I kayak fish also!

How do you guys store your rods with your kayak in the bed? Right now, I store mine diagonally from the back seat to the front passenger seat. But if I'm going with someone else, I'm not sure how I'd store my rods.

SRAces

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GLA, 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Special Edition
Occupation
USAF (retired)
Vehicle Showcase
When I hauled just the one kayak in the bed, I used to just put the rods on the front passenger side and let the rods rest on each side of the front passenger headrest. Then use a small bungee cord with hooks to keep them from falling off the seat. Got tied of hearing the hard lures with rattles as I go down some long long dirt roads. Came up with a way to store them on the kayak that works much better.

If I am hauling both kayaks and using the trailer, I can put the rod/reel setups in the bed diagonally with other gear. That allows for a passenger in the front seat.

20200423_162841.jpg

allcos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Scab 4X4 XLT
Occupation
Retired
I’ve been salt and fresh water kayak fishing for about 5 years and have (3) Hobie kayaks. (Expensive, but well worth it.) I sold my 2015 Subaru Outback for my Scab with topper. In the past I had a Rhino Rack T-bar that helped load and support one of my kayaks on the Outback roof. Loading the 70-100 lb + kayaks tired my 69 year old body. Now having the combination of about 2’ off the ground, a 6’ bed + gate, and Harbor Freight bed extender makes the loading/unloading so much easier. As for my rods: the truck has the rear window with the slider. I either put the rods through the window or diagonal in the truck bed. I have warning flags permanently tied to the back of my kayaks: so no concern for the 2-4’ overhang issue. I had a kayak trailer, but sold it. If necessary I can still use the Rhino Rack T-bar and load one of the longer kayaks on the roof and the other in the bed.
Sponsored