Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
This will be my first year kayak fishing. I had a 2014 Tracker Pro 160 with a 40 hp 4-stroke Mercury, but didn't use it enough, so I sold it and bought a new Pelican 130 HyDryve kayak. It's 12'6" long and 34" wide. Right now, it's sitting in my basement woodworking shop on the tablesaw while I do all the mods and add-on's. I've added: anchor trolley, anchor line reel, an extra rod storage point, 3 DIY PVC adjustable rod holders for the Scotty track. Still have to make a stakeout pole bracket....already have a 1/2" x 12' fiberglass pole. And a flag pole holder....It holds a safety green or blaze orange flag so I don't get run over by a boat....I've been hit by a car, and that wasn't any fun....don't want to try it with a boat :fingerscrossed:

I have access to a private 32 acre lake that a friend of mine owns, but it's catch and release only, but plenty of fish. And about 5 min from there, is Clear Lake which is about 3700 acres. Plenty of other places just around town and a lot within a hour or 2 drive.

Anyone else fish from a kayak ?
Sponsored

SRAces

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GLA, 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Special Edition
Occupation
USAF (retired)
Vehicle Showcase
This will be my first year kayak fishing. I had a 2014 Tracker Pro 160 with a 40 hp 4-stroke Mercury, but didn't use it enough, so I sold it and bought a new Pelican 130 HyDryve kayak. It's 12'6" long and 34" wide. Right now, it's sitting in my basement woodworking shop on the tablesaw while I do all the mods and add-on's. I've added: anchor trolley, anchor line reel, an extra rod storage point, 3 DIY PVC adjustable rod holders for the Scotty track. Still have to make a stakeout pole bracket....already have a 1/2" x 12' fiberglass pole. And a flag pole holder....It holds a safety green or blaze orange flag so I don't get run over by a boat....I've been hit by a car, and that wasn't any fun....don't want to try it with a boat :fingerscrossed:

I have access to a private 32 acre lake that a friend of mine owns, but it's catch and release only, but plenty of fish. And about 5 min from there, is Clear Lake which is about 3700 acres. Plenty of other places just around town and a lot within a hour or 2 drive.

Anyone else fish from a kayak ?
I fish every weekend inshore int he Gulf of Mexico from a kayak. Sold my high end bass boat back in 2012 and have never looked back. Put about 300 nautical miles a year on the water. Have 2 Hobie kayaks and when I use just one, I use a bed extender and carry the single kayak in the bed of the truck. Losing 6 inches going from my F-150 SuperCrew to the Ranger, but don't anticipate any issues.

OP
OP
Rinn69

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I fish every weekend inshore int he Gulf of Mexico from a kayak. Sold my high end bass boat back in 2012 and have never looked back. Put about 300 nautical miles a year on the water. Have 2 Hobie kayaks and when I use just one, I use a bed extender and carry the single kayak in the bed of the truck. Losing 6 inches going from my F-150 SuperCrew to the Ranger, but don't anticipate any issues.
I went down to visit my son and daughter-in-law last summer and my son and I took a 6 hr fishing charter out of Gulfport. Caught black tip sharks, redfish, sailfin catfish and jack cravell. We had our limit by 10 am, and were wore out when we headed back in at 11. We will be doing this again in a couple months and hope to bring my daughter-in-law along this time. Only going to do a 4 hr excursion this time. I'd like to try saltwater fishing, but they live in Meridian MS,, about 3.5 hrs from the coast. I plan on taking my yak on the next trip to see them and do a little fishing in some of the local lakes.

Fish 2018.jpg

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I went down to visit my son and daughter-in-law last summer and my son and I took a 6 hr fishing charter out of Gulfport. Caught black tip sharks, redfish, sailfin catfish and jack cravell. We had our limit by 10 am, and were wore out when we headed back in at 11. We will be doing this again in a couple months and hope to bring my daughter-in-law along this time. Only going to do a 4 hr excursion this time. I'd like to try saltwater fishing, but they live in Meridian MS,, about 3.5 hrs from the coast. I plan on taking my yak on the next trip to see them and do a little fishing in some of the local lakes.

Fish 2018.jpg
Totally down for any kind of fishing, but since I live in Michigan, Kayak fishing is not usually one I get to try (I have, it's just not as good as shore fishing most of the time). I would absolutely love to do some fishing in the Gulf, as I've not yet done any saltwater fishing. When I travel, I find the cost of an out of state fishing license to be astronomical, any tips on places where they don't want your left arm and right leg for the privilege of fishing there?

SRAces

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GLA, 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Special Edition
Occupation
USAF (retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Totally down for any kind of fishing, but since I live in Michigan, Kayak fishing is not usually one I get to try (I have, it's just not as good as shore fishing most of the time). I would absolutely love to do some fishing in the Gulf, as I've not yet done any saltwater fishing. When I travel, I find the cost of an out of state fishing license to be astronomical, any tips on places where they don't want your left arm and right leg for the privilege of fishing there?
I usually fish almost every weekend as it's my relaxation and good exercise. Normally put 6-10 miles on the kayak over 6-8 hours. I live in Georgia, but buy the Florida saltwater license (out of state runs around $50 for a year). Finally got back on the water Saturday since I have the Ranger now. 21 trout, 1 catfish and 1 croaker. Bite wasn't the best, but just being on the water was the best part. :like:

Comparison below of the same kayak in the F-150 and the Ranger.

Compass-Desktop.jpg

Compass-8.jpg

Compass-9.jpg

SingleKayak.jpg

OP
OP
Rinn69

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I usually fish almost every weekend as it's my relaxation and good exercise. Normally put 6-10 miles on the kayak over 6-8 hours. I live in Georgia, but buy the Florida saltwater license (out of state runs around $50 for a year). Finally got back on the water Saturday since I have the Ranger now. 21 trout, 1 catfish and 1 croaker. Bite wasn't the best, but just being on the water was the best part. :like:

Comparison below of the same kayak in the F-150 and the Ranger.

Compass-Desktop.jpg

Compass-8.jpg

Compass-9.jpg

SingleKayak.jpg
Any issues with your kayak sticking out the rear that far ? I'm planning on building a headache rack that bolts on along with a elevated hitch rack....I'd rather just do like you do and stick it in the bed, but I wasn't sure about having it protruding so far out the back.

SRAces

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
USAF (retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Any issues with your kayak sticking out the rear that far ? I'm planning on building a headache rack that bolts on along with a elevated hitch rack....I'd rather just do like you do and stick it in the bed, but I wasn't sure about having it protruding so far out the back.
No issues for me. I have a red flag that I attach on the back of the kayak. Our longest dirt road to get to one of our creek launch spots is 11 miles from paved road to the launch. Having 4-wheel drive can be important...lol!

OP
OP
Rinn69

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
No issues for me. I have a red flag that I attach on the back of the kayak. Our longest dirt road to get to one of our creek launch spots is 11 miles from paved road to the launch. Having 4-wheel drive can be important...lol!
Looks like we have the same truck....except you have your's and I'm still waiting. And no FX4 for me. Excellent choice :like:

technological_marvel

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shadow Black Ranger LARIAT FX4
It's a bit of a haul from Michigan but Maine's single-day non-resident fishing license is only $11 and if you're there for a few days, $23 for a 3-day license.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a bit of a haul from Michigan but Maine's single-day non-resident fishing license is only $11 and if you're there for a few days, $23 for a 3-day license.
We're actually planning a trip to Mt. Washington, so we may be in the area some time soon. The Michigan resident all species license is 32$ now for the year. It keeps going up, I would hate to see what the cost for an out of state person would be here.

technological_marvel

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shadow Black Ranger LARIAT FX4
We're actually planning a trip to Mt. Washington, so we may be in the area some time soon. The Michigan resident all species license is 32$ now for the year. It keeps going up, I would hate to see what the cost for an out of state person would be here.
In that case, the NH non-resident 1-day license is $15, $28 for 3-day--I only recommended Maine because it's the lowest cost single-day license I know of. That being said, as a NH native, I'd be doing my state a disservice to send you across the border. Head about an hour south and east of Mt. Washington and you'll find yourself in Conway, the northern gateway to the lakes region. There are tons of big and small lakes with great trout fishing up here, whether you want to fish from the shore or a boat.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In that case, the NH non-resident 1-day license is $15, $28 for 3-day--I only recommended Maine because it's the lowest cost single-day license I know of. That being said, as a NH native, I'd be doing my state a disservice to send you across the border. Head about an hour south and east of Mt. Washington and you'll find yourself in Conway, the northern gateway to the lakes region. There are tons of big and small lakes with great trout fishing up here, whether you want to fish from the shore or a boat.
Right on man, Wife is not keen on fishing, but I have two boys who are :) We may overrule whatever plans she has for us.

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
To the OP's question, I don't regularly fish from a yak. I own a tandem that I have fished from in the past, however most of my yak fishing is in SE Virginia when visiting family who have Hobies available for chasing reds and speckleds. I own a KW 1720 and fish primarily Biscayne, Florida and Whitewater Bays. I do get out to other areas on occasion and video every trip for a YT channel. "Bent Rods and Tight Lines"

MrRisk

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT
Occupation
Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
I kayak fish all the time, before the ranger this was how I transported my kayak to the water.

7F295C67-7238-42AE-AF1F-E2500707FE88.jpeg

Then a few years later I purchased something a little more appropriate.

C076EC8B-7B0E-47FB-9C7B-57A05615D4D4.jpeg

The Samurai was mine.

sara08

First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Renault
Yes, I do!
Mine kayak is Intex Challenger K2

It's pros:
Easy for other boaters to spot in the water
UV surface protections and vinyl composition
Fits up to two people comfortably
Comes with a patch repair kit

It's cons:
Sligtly less storage room that the k1
I chosen it on jonsguide review, there are pros and cons for every kayak. I will leave this review here more @ jonsguide.org
Sponsored