Is anyone else missing the center tie-downs?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
did you not see the attitude.....he just flicked the wrist...walked away like it was no thing. The nerve of him.
You'd understand about the attitude and swagger if you owned one. Kind of comes with the territory. ;)
Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
2021 lariat FX4. No center tie downs. Those penny pinching biotches.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
I almost stopped watching when i saw him flaunting the TG damper.
what a douche move.
but i'm glad i did, i never thought a piece of chain would do the job.
thats ingenuity right there.
Come on now. Seeing the damper is the only reason why I continued to watch. Damper proved that he has brainz ?

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

A back story on cost reductions....Doing it the hard way. The program was the UPN105 new Explorer and Ranger with a common chassis. The going in position was to carry over the front spindles, but the program was in deep trouble for weight and cost. I had a CAE FEA Chassis Analysis Department. My top engineer, Amar O. and I sat down and with the help of Beta optimization software, we took 3 lbs of unsprung weight out of each spindle and made it 100 times more robust than the carryover spindle. The cost reduction with this new design was also major. Did the customer see the cost reduction....Nope...It was hard work but keeping cost reductions invisible to the customer is key...not taking tie downs away.... Dumb move to take the tie downs out of the Ranger....JMO.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retire

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Hi Folks,

A back story on cost reductions....Doing it the hard way. The program was the UPN105 new Explorer and Ranger with a common chassis. The going in position was to carry over the front spindles, but the program was in deep trouble for weight and cost. I had a CAE FEA Chassis Analysis Department. My top engineer, Amar O. and I sat down and with the help of Beta optimization software, we took 3 lbs of unsprung weight out of each spindle and made it 100 times more robust than the carryover spindle. The cost reduction with this new design was also major. Did the customer see the cost reduction....Nope...It was hard work but keeping cost reductions invisible to the customer is key...not taking tie downs away.... Dumb move to take the tie downs out of the Ranger....JMO.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retire
I agree that removing the tie downs was a poor move. In my mind, not making them available at a reasonable cost is insulting.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I agree that removing the tie downs was a poor move. In my mind, not making them available at a reasonable cost is insulting.
Hi Kent,

I am astounded at the cost. Not sure how that got determined, but I will tell you that there is a severe mark up for Ford Parts. It is not published but is alleged to be between 500 to 1000 percent.. If you ever saw an insurance company that tried to purchase a whole vehicle via parts, this $12,000 Vehicle cost about what a Ferrari Testa Rosa cost....

The problem is that the PVT does not factor in to their cost reduction, the part cost through Ford Parts. I envision that this cost was just done on a cook book formula with no thought of that the part was by some beanie who has no clue what most parts are...they are just part numbers on a printout...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored