Interior plastic repair

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
So I am finally do a thorough interior clean and have a question I have never found an answer to.

On the plastic parts like the door panels. I have some scratches from things that just happen. I have the black interior and these scratches are white. What is the best way to make these scratches“disappear”. I don’t care to remove them, just want the white scratch to blend back in.

thanks for the help
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
So I am finally do a thorough interior clean and have a question I have never found an answer to.

On the plastic parts like the door panels. I have some scratches from things that just happen. I have the black interior and these scratches are white. What is the best way to make these scratches“disappear”. I don’t care to remove them, just want the white scratch to blend back in.

thanks for the help
I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on my interior. It will take away those white scuff marks with a little elbow grease. Most automotive stores have it and I think you can get it on Amazon too

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-aerospace-protectant/

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
If there are just marks on the door panel, obviously try cleaning them off first.

If the plastic is actually showing a little damage from discoloration, you can sometimes take a heat gun or hair dryer to the plastic and heat it up just enough to make the plastic look shiny, so basically just so its getting soft but not melting. Then, take a green or red scotch brite pad and very lightly scuff the shiny plastic until it is dulled back down to the level of the undamaged plastic. You have to do this all very carefully though so you don't melt an expensive door panel. Maybe find an old door panel or something to practice on first. This trick also works if you manage to put a crease or stress mark in plastic panels.

OP
OP

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
If there are just marks on the door panel, obviously try cleaning them off first.

If the plastic is actually showing a little damage from discoloration, you can sometimes take a heat gun or hair dryer to the plastic and heat it up just enough to make the plastic look shiny, so basically just so its getting soft but not melting. Then, take a green or red scotch brite pad and very lightly scuff the shiny plastic until it is dulled back down to the level of the undamaged plastic. You have to do this all very carefully though so you don't melt an expensive door panel. Maybe find an old door panel or something to practice on first. This trick also works if you manage to put a crease or stress mark in plastic panels.
Thanks. I have heard of this. Also heard there are items you can buy to place on the plastic after it was heated up that mimics the texture of the part you are repairing.

while it bothers me that I have a couple of interior scratches, not enough to risk doing more damage. I can’t believe there isn’t something easier that can be done to fix this sort of thing.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Thanks. I have heard of this. Also heard there are items you can buy to place on the plastic after it was heated up that mimics the texture of the part you are repairing.

while it bothers me that I have a couple of interior scratches, not enough to risk doing more damage. I can’t believe there isn’t something easier that can be done to fix this sort of thing.
I agree. It is super annoying. I'm typically pretty careful but end up with shoe marks on the driver's door panel from getting in and out. Lately I've just been purposely not looking at it :frown:

LurchOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat w/501A, Built 02-08-2019
Are you dealing with the typical boot scuffs on the door panel near the speakers, or do you have actual scratches...something you could feel with your fingernail?
I ask because I only have dealt with scuffs using Turtle wax Ice Interior Cleaner & Protectant. Couple of squirts on a MF towel and it's good for everything inside except glass. Good stuff.

Tiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Lariat, color Saber, all the bells and whistles
Occupation
Retired
If they are scratches you can feel, try using some black paste shoe polish, like kiwi. Rub into scratch, any excess outside of scratch you can buff off lightly with a clean cloth. Won't hurt to try it. Works for me on wood furniture. Black magic marker , fine tip, may work as well. Just thinking out loud.
Sponsored