I think I bought the wrong truck

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
I was convinced 6 years ago I needed to trade in my Dakota and get an SUV so we could move my step daughter to and from college comfortable. So, the 1 time we moved her it was great. She just graduated with her Masters, and I still have only moved her 1 time. She always had an apt. anyway, and as most of us may feel, moving blows. My wife wanted an all wheel drive, but not a new car, so she offered to take mine and let me buy a truck. (still can't figure out her end game) I've been quite happy with my purchase, although I read somewhere all the updates I needed to do, mud flaps, leveling kit, side step etc. Now this is not unusual to outfit a new vehicle with essentials. Now comes why I think I may have purchased the wrong truck...

I'm a conservative driver now a days, not OCD about it, but I like getting good gas mileage. I just can't see how I can do it in this truck. I push down on the gas, and the truck MOVES!! I feel like a kid again, and there is no sign of it letting up. Coming home from a BBQ Sunday, I took a dirt road over a mountain to get home. I thought I was driving normal, push on gas, and it MOVES!!! My wife looks over and says " are you trying to make this truck fishtail?" I really wasn't, but it was, and I was loving it. Reminds me of my youth racing down dirt roads, Dukes of Hazzard style. Rocks hitting step bar sounded like someone ringing a dinner bell. I had to hide my joy, but inside smiling from ear to ear.
I read all the posts about more better-faster etc. How about more gas mileage? I'd feel so much better knowing I could have my fun AND get good gas mileage. Only 500 miles, pretty much 400 around town, and I get 18..... Maybe I need to trade in my shoes for a lighter pair.
This is a list of complaints about his new ranger from a thread on the Australian Newranger forum. :LOL:

ALL THE THINGS WRONG WITH MY WILDTRAK AFTER THREE YEARS
Postby BLACKCRUSADER » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:31 pm

Well I have had my 2015 Wildtrak two years now. The complaints department goes like this

1. My friends complain that after riding in the spacious cabin their vehicles feel rather puny inside.
2. Long car trips are too comfortable you don't feel tired from driving.
3. Even in the steep mountains where I drive I get around 700km to a tank, fuel economy is great
4. I got rear ended last month when stopped at a traffic light. The car behind two busted headlights, a broken grill, leaking radiator, bent bonnet.
My car, slightly bent bumper replaced under other owners insurance.
5. Some kid decided to open my tailgate which smacked him on the head as he was too short. His parents upset. Me, I'm like yeah right you didn't teach your kid not to touch other people's belongings.

Apart from that there's nothing wrong with the Wildtrak itself. What a great car and the decision to buy it for where I live was the correct one.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
This is a list of complaints about his new ranger from a thread on the Australian Newranger forum. :LOL:

5. Some kid decided to open my tailgate which smacked him on the head as he was too short. His parents upset. Me, I'm like yeah right you didn't teach your kid not to touch other people's belongings.
To all those who think tailgate dampers aren't a necessity! ?

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
To all those who think tailgate dampers aren't a necessity! ?
Yeah, and the tailgate on the Aussie model is made of steel, not aluminum, and weighs a ton too. Would have bloody hurt!
Of course the upside is, it's also immensely strong and can support the weight of approximately 6 Indian or 4 African elephants.

Last edited:

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
i am of the generation where kids need to learn from experience. not mommied to death never knowing what road rash from a tricycle accident in the driveway feels like when you do stupid shit.

so kudos to the kid for learning himself whatever lesson presented itself, gravity is a bitch, bet he didnt try it a second time
Yep 100% agree, much better to learn about road rash on a tricycle on the driveway, (and remember) than when doing stupid shit on a a motorcycle on the highway, cause you never learned.

Like you somehow I managed to survive my childhood and teenage years more or less intact. I do remember one of my fathers favourite sayings - Well he's only going to do that once..... My father was a firm believer in Darwinism.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
I honestly thought I was going to take a sip of my bourbon, open the thread, and read about nothing but hate filled vitriol about the Ranger. I am pleased I was very wrong lol.

But...I must admit...that coming from my much missed and lamented 2005 F150 and driving in the EXACT same manner I drove that truck was WAY surprised at the mileage capabilities of this Ranger...I can just watch the avg MPG tick upward and onward....after I hit 150,000 miles I tended to baby her as she showed her mettle. at 212,000 miles we went to the dealer to put her to pasture...and here I sit now with Blue in my driveway. :p

BUT...when driving on a two lane blacktop...and being in SE Texas you will get the rancher who is in no hurry whatsoever AND ignores the speed limit signs as they are LIMITS....well...those MPG gains disappear QUICK lol...but more importantly...I can actually scoot around Ma and Pa Kettle ALOT quicker than my old truck was ever able to.

I DO miss old Blackie...but Blue has settled in at only 4300 miles now and she is here to stay. :)

D

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
I honestly thought I was going to take a sip of my bourbon, open the thread, and read about nothing but hate filled vitriol about the Ranger. I am pleased I was very wrong lol.

But...I must admit...that coming from my much missed and lamented 2005 F150 and driving in the EXACT same manner I drove that truck was WAY surprised at the mileage capabilities of this Ranger...I can just watch the avg MPG tick upward and onward....after I hit 150,000 miles I tended to baby her as she showed her mettle. at 212,000 miles we went to the dealer to put her to pasture...and here I sit now with Blue in my driveway. :p

BUT...when driving on a two lane blacktop...and being in SE Texas you will get the rancher who is in no hurry whatsoever AND ignores the speed limit signs as they are LIMITS....well...those MPG gains disappear QUICK lol...but more importantly...I can actually scoot around Ma and Pa Kettle ALOT quicker than my old truck was ever able to.

I DO miss old Blackie...but Blue has settled in at only 4300 miles now and she is here to stay. :)

D

Ha Ha, I live in a semi rural area too, and really hate getting stuck behind some farmer in his asthmatic 2H diesel Toyota 40 series pickup, doing 70 ( probably close to its top speed) down the 100 Km /Hr strip of 2 lane highway I have to traverse each day to get to the train station.
I usually pass and leave them in my 3.2 diesel smoke wake.

Last edited:

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Orange SuperCrew FX4 Trailer Tow 302A
Vehicle Showcase
JMO
20.2 average, 12k miles after nearly a year, 20 min commute home to office. I'm rarely in the field anymore. I'd consider a next-gen Ranger if they come out with a hybrid. Had a HEMI, kinda still do b/c my son drives my 11 y.o 1500 now. Love to go fast but love saving money more these days!

Still a MOPAR lover at heart and if/when they come out with a smaller truck I will at least drive one.
cheers!
Agree! The moment Ford Ranger come out with hybrid and pull 7,500 lbs, I will buy it immediately.

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
And we're proud of it! haha As someone who is OCD about so many things, my truck and mileage might as well be on the list too. haha Some of you guys get a thrill from pushing the pedal down, I get the thrill from making the mileage numbers go up. It really is exhilarating and adrenaline pumping!
I am in your club! Hypermiling! Even when it comes to towing my favorite travel trailer: IntechRV Sol Horizon Rover!

Deleted member 1634

I am in your club! Hypermiling! Even when it comes to towing my favorite travel trailer: IntechRV Sol Horizon Rover!
I haven't pulled our camper yet since we got the topper installed, but I'm excited to find out what changes it makes with mileage there. I've pulled without the topper all last year and got pretty good mileage (16-22mpg depending on wind and road speeds), better than any other truck would get while pulling it. And the topper has given me a 1-2mpg increase in mileage overall in all other types of driving, so I'm excited! Hopefully we'll be able to travel/camp again here soon and can try it out.

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't pulled our camper yet since we got the topper installed, but I'm excited to find out what changes it makes with mileage there. I've pulled without the topper all last year and got pretty good mileage (16-22mpg depending on wind and road speeds), better than any other truck would get while pulling it. And the topper has given me a 1-2mpg increase in mileage overall in all other types of driving, so I'm excited! Hopefully we'll be able to travel/camp again here soon and can try it out.
I checked out the ARE cap and it is so expensive! Ouch! Look like I have to wait next year to get tax refund to do this.

Deleted member 1634

I checked out the ARE cap and it is so expensive! Ouch! Look like I have to wait next year to get tax refund to do this.
Yeah, they're not cheap. I went with a Leer (wouldn't really recommend), but still in the same ballpark price wise. I decided I wanted to get one last Fall, and didn't end up ordering it until this spring. And even then, that was because I worked some overtime in Jan-Feb and got enough together to make it viable.

Rwils31

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Toyota
I bought my Ranger to daily drive. My work commute is 60 miles a day. If I’m easy on the gas I’ll get 24-25 no problem (Mostly interstate). City driving while easy on the gas is 21-23. Lead foot 17-19. Like an above poster said that’s one of the greatest things about this truck - you can get good mpg(24-26) if you want, and focus a little on it, or you can just have fun with it and get 19-21 basically.
Sponsored