2pack of lightweight shovels at Costco

aklinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Bought these at Costco today, $25. (It was a two pack, but I already gave one to my dad to keep in his f-150)
They are light weight aluminum, so probably wouldn't work for serious overlanding folks, but for my purposes (hopefully avoiding getting stuck in snow this winter) they should work!
PXL_20200915_171336572.jpg

*Updated to add- couldn't find them on the Costco website, but I bought them in the store, and should still be available*
Sponsored

Last edited:

Spence's bumper sticker

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Edge Sport
Occupation
Security Analyst + USN
Thanks for the line. I've always half-assed the inventory in my truck and I'd like to do it right this time. Shovels, small tool kit, first aid, firearms, etc. Makes no sense to have everything ready at home for continegencies, then be completely unprepared when you're out and about.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Bought these at Costco today, $25. (It was a two pack, but I already gave one to my dad to keep in his f-150)
They are light weight aluminum, so probably wouldn't work for serious overlanding folks, but for my purposes (hopefully avoiding getting such in snow this winter) they should work!
Are they both the same shovel? I have a small shovel I've kept in my truck for a long time, but it is REALLY small. I guess it is costco, so they can't just sell you ONE shovel, right? :)

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the line. I've always half-assed the inventory in my truck and I'd like to do it right this time. Shovels, small tool kit, first aid, firearms, etc. Makes no sense to have everything ready at home for continegencies, then be completely unprepared when you're out and about.
Here is why I keep a bunch of stuff in my truck. A friend and I went hiking on Labor day and when we were headed home, we ran into this (these trees fell over the road after we drove in):
20200907_181320.jpg

We didn't have the chainsaw (due to fire danger), but we did have handsaws, loppers, tow straps, etc. We had at least 5 cars line up behind us - none of which had ANY tools at all. We successfully trimmed the upper log and cut the lower log with a handsaw and then drug it off the road (with a tow strap) and made it out:
20200907_183720.jpg

The people behind us were VERY thankful we were prepared. In almost 20 years of hiking in this area, I've never had this happen, but I'm glad I had the tools needed to deal with this. It would have been a long hike out.

OP
OP
aklinger

aklinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Are they both the same shovel? I have a small shovel I've kept in my truck for a long time, but it is REALLY small. I guess it is costco, so they can't just sell you ONE shovel, right? :)
Yeah. Unfortunately, it was two identical shovels. My dad was happy about the gift!

Deleted member 1634

Here is why I keep a bunch of stuff in my truck. A friend and I went hiking on Labor day and when we were headed home, we ran into this (these trees fell over the road after we drove in):
20200907_181320.jpg

We didn't have the chainsaw (due to fire danger), but we did have handsaws, loppers, tow straps, etc. We had at least 5 cars line up behind us - none of which had ANY tools at all. We successfully trimmed the upper log and cut the lower log with a handsaw and then drug it off the road (with a tow strap) and made it out:
20200907_183720.jpg

The people behind us were VERY thankful we were prepared. In almost 20 years of hiking in this area, I've never had this happen, but I'm glad I had the tools needed to deal with this. It would have been a long hike out.
Had something similar happen to me a few years ago too. But like you, I had a handsaw, hatchet, and pair of work gloves, so I just pulled up to it and got to work. There wasn't an audience or applauding townsfolk, but it made me feel good. haha Definitely the reason I always carry stuff around.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
They are light weight aluminum, so probably wouldn't work for serious overlanding folks, but for my purposes (hopefully avoiding getting stuck in snow this winter) they should work!

*Updated to add- couldn't find them on the Costco website, but I bought them in the store, and should still be available*
Hi AK,

Any chance you have an item number? Not finding it on Costco.com...maybe only local store???

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
aklinger

aklinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Hi AK,

Any chance you have an item number? Not finding it on Costco.com...maybe only local store???

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
1600274853254.png

Here is the item/article #. No hits on costco's website though. :rolleyes:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)