How to Transport & Protect Interior from Dog? (Doggo Megathread)

ExChief45

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Chrysler Concorde
Occupation
Gas System Operations - Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info. That was one of the ones I had looked at.
Based on your post, i went ahead and ordered one.
I have used it twice and so far so good. I am going to try it in my wifes Explorer to see how it fits in there as well. Good luck with it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
LightningBlue

LightningBlue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue XLT FX4/ 2023 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I checked my local Costco today. Not carried. It may be a regional thing.
If you or anyone wants one, I’ll grab it for you just pay me back +shipping. They’re on clearance at my Costco

6A654A48-CAC8-4053-A639-714FC402C797.jpeg

Rousseb

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Anybody have any pics of their large breed dogs in their truck? I have 2 German Shepherds. Hoping there will be enough room inside the cab.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I've gotta keep my keys in my pocket at all times,
My dog just loves my new truck,
He won't even let me walk him anymore...
He drives to the dog park!...
I have to get the cat to guard the truck!

dog-driving-car-HERO-960x540.jpg

ShowLetter.gif

Most of you will know I'm kidding...Right?

Last edited:

kaltzbar

First Name
Barret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody have any pics of their large breed dogs in their truck? I have 2 German Shepherds. Hoping there will be enough room inside the cab.
Here's my 130 lb German Shepherd mix in the back of my SCrew. Plenty of room for him, though he needs a small running start to leap up onto the bench!

IMG_5714.JPG

IMG_9420.jpg

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Here's where fold flat would be really nice, but that would make the poor dog jump even higher.
Maybe add a filler in front of the seat base?

Last edited:

j_slate

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge... until I can get a Ranger when I graduate
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Is bed space not available? Why not get a car-safety dog harness and clip it to a tie-down in the bed so they cant jump out? Something like this...
FNNMM37IRKFPEWG.LARGE.jpg

RandomHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ford Ranger
https://www.amazon.com/URPOWER-Wate...X?ref=dotd_8_img_11&ref_=pe_1228310_395557050

54"W x 58" L
Again a low cost option from Amazon. I would need to check the DIN of the material to see if my little sidekick would rip through it or not. Local Petshops have these ranging from over $50-75.

Edit...

Overall reviews look legit with car/truck info and mix of praise and nitpicks.
This is the one I ended up going with. I have a XLT, but I had Katzkin leather seats/door inserts installed and I NEEDED to keep that protected. It's held up for the last ~month that I've had it. It doesn't keep the noses off the windows, but I don't have to worry about seats and doors.

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
This is the one I ended up going with. I have a XLT, but I had Katzkin leather seats/door inserts installed and I NEEDED to keep that protected. It's held up for the last ~month that I've had it. It doesn't keep the noses off the windows, but I don't have to worry about seats and doors.
So far the furry co-pilot has enjoyed it and I have peace of mind that even if he gets muddy and wet I can just pull out the cover and wash it. Only issue I had was the straps did not ship with the cover but the supplier responded very quickly and resolved the issue.

j_slate

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Where do I even begin about how terrible of an idea this is.
It’s just as bad as tying your dog to a tree outside? It creates a fixed point relatively close to the center of the truck bed so your dog has a little room to move but not enough to make it to the edge of the bed. The dog harness is rated to provide the same support as a self belt would on a human. Unless your driving as aggressively as to roll your Ranger there’s no real problem.

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
It’s just as bad as tying your dog to a tree outside? It creates a fixed point relatively close to the center of the truck bed so your dog has a little room to move but not enough to make it to the edge of the bed. The dog harness is rated to provide the same support as a self belt would on a human. Unless your driving as aggressively as to roll your Ranger there’s no real problem.
A tree outside isn't moving. In an accident your dog is violently thrown around. Do you think a dog can keep its balance while standing on the ribbed floor of a truck box? Sorry this idea is so bad if you care for your dog in the slightest. It's also illegal to transport dogs in a pickup box in a number of states.

Last edited:

j_slate

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
A tree outside isn't moving. In an accident your dog is violently thrown around. Do you think a dog can keep its balance while standing on the ribbed floor of a truck box? Sorry this idea is so bad if you care for your dog in the slightest. It's also illegal to transport dogs in a pickup box in a number of states.
Unless you have a harness you hook up to your dog and attach it to a seatbelt in your cab, a dog in the cab will be thrown around a lot more than how I’ve explained. In both previous comments I pointed out how the dog is securely fastened to a fixed point in the middle of the bed away from the edges by a harness that is specifically designed to act as a dog seatbelt and protect them 100x better than throwing a hammock in your cab and calling it good. If anyone isn’t caring for dogs is the people who don’t use a harness to attach them to seatbelts in their cab. They will be in serious trouble in a crash with just a hammock or seat cover.

Additionally, these laws you mentioned are for “unrestrained dogs”, most, if not all, have clauses that go along the lines of “unless suitable harness, cage or enclosure be provided and so attached as to protect such animal from falling or being thrown therefrom.” In fact in some states it’s even illegal to have a dog in the cab without a safety harness attached to the seatbelt or be in a crate.

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Took my pupper for a ride this past weekend. She was really enjoying it..... Until she wasn't.

IMG_6783.JPG

IMG_6784.JPG
Bummer.... Our dog had that problem when he was a puppy - he has thankfully outgrown it. We had other dogs that never outgrew it and couldn't drive them far.

Hope it cleans up easily. At least the worst of it is on the plastic and mats.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Bummer.... Our dog had that problem when he was a puppy - he has thankfully outgrown it. We had other dogs that never outgrew it and couldn't drive them far.

Hope it cleans up easily. At least the worst of it is on the plastic and mats.
Yuk! Poor car sick doggie... Had a similar problem with our Sonoran Desert Tortoise in our RV...he got spooked and released his bladder and bowls... Had to use carpet cleaner and it cleaned up.... Amazing such a small animal has such a large bladder!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored