How to adjust the hood latch on a 2020 Ranger?

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I tried to adjust the hood latch on my 2020 Truck after installing a Bugflector II, but the grill has a different configuration that the 2019 in the Video: How To Adjust Hood Latch Height: 2019-2020 Ford Ranger 5th Generation - YouTube I can't find any openings large enough to reach through the grill on mine to release the six clips under the upper part of the grill. So does anyone know how to release the six clips on this type of grill?

bugflector-3-jpg.jpg

bugflector-5-jpg.jpg

Last edited: 7 minutes ago
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
OrangeStreak

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
OP
OP
OrangeStreak

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
the rest seems straight forward, but in all likelihood a PITA.
I recall some people braking the lower clips
the rest seems straight forward, but in all likelihood a PITA.
I recall some people braking the lower clips
Thanks for the diagram, I suspected that the grill would have to be removed in my case. I have the tool kit coming in from Amazon that the Video suggested, so hopefully being careful, I can keep the clips intact. I did break one of the 5 fasteners you referred to by not paying close attention to the Video...lesson learned.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OrangeStreak

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Problem solved on removing shroud for hood latch adjustment:

I adjusted my hood latch today. After installing the Bugflector II, the hood took too much force to close because of the gap increase created by the Bugflector base attached underneath the hood. Followed this excellent video for the process: How To Adjust Hood Latch Height: 2019-2020 Ford Ranger 5th Generation - YouTube I make the mistake of not paying close attention in the video about detaching the plastic fasteners. Broke one of them when removing it by trying to pry out the fastener from the bottom which sits on the metal instead of properly prying the push pin insert out 1st and then pulling out the remaining base portion…lesson learned (photos attached).

Kudos to RANGER PRIDE who assisted by sending some helpful info: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/atta...allation-radiator-grille-shop-manu-pdf.80041/

I discovered that removing the shroud on my 2020 is different than in the Adjust hood latch height Video (link above) demonstrated on the 2019 Ranger (not sure if it is the configuration of my grill or if on the 2020’s, the removal process has changed). I watched the following Video which showed how to remove the shroud on my year of Ranger: 2020 Ford Ranger Raptor Grille Install - YouTube I tried this Video’s method of pulling the shroud up by hand but felt that something would break if I used any more pressure. A Ford mechanic at my dealership showed me how to put a flathead screwdriver under the front leading edge of the shroud and pry up from place to place causing it to pop loose. Also, he said it is crucial to mark the outline of the existing position of the hood latch mount before you loosen the screws to establish a reference point to work from. I used an extra fine Sharpie marker to do this. I intended to take a photo of the area that I marked out but finished the job and then remembered after the fact.

I moved the latch mount straight up all the way from its original existing position as far as it would go and this made my hood latch and close exactly right. Had a lot of fun doing this project and feel good about the outcome :clap:

Broken fastener 2.jpg

Broken fastener 4.jpg
Sponsored