How to add an amplifier while keeping existing sync head and speaker wires?

ianmgull

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4
Hey guys, I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to car audio (but not audio in general). I was wondering if something like this exists...

I have a 2020 Super Cab XLT. To the best of my knowledge, I don't have any sort of premium audio system. I'd like to get a bit more volume (and sound quality) from my system.

I'm going to replace all of the speakers, but I was wondering how I'd go about adding an amp for those speakers as well (while maintaining the stock Sync 3 head and existing speaker wiring). Replacing the speakers seems pretty straight forward, but how do you use a 3rd party amp? Is there a wiring harness that simplifies this process? I'd really prefer not to have to run speaker wiring if possible, but I don't know if that's an option or not? Any links or resources would be greatly appreciated.

Also, further down the line I might add a small powered sub as well. I'm going to see what it sounds like with a new amp and speakers first, but if I could find a product that gives me the option to send audio to a small powered sub (line or speaker level I suppose), that would make things easier if/when I decide to add a sub.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Cg32

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Sales Leadership
I have seen some plug and play harnesses, but they are pretty steep if I remember. I can’t remember who makes them. For the same price you could likely buy the amp and go to a local car audio shop and have them install it for the same price as buying the harness, unless there are some I don’t know about. My local shop is $150 to do the install. Otherwise, you would need to splice into the existing wires behind the head unit. Not hard, just time consuming running all the connections, etc.. if you want to do it yourself, buy the amp and install kit from crutchfield and they will send you detailed install instructions with your order for free.

Superspirit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ranger
There is a adapter harness available. Search, for-11- ck I believe that's the part number. There are several threads here about this just do a search

Reactions: EJH

hookem57

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Driver
Hey guys, I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to car audio (but not audio in general). I was wondering if something like this exists...

I have a 2020 Super Cab XLT. To the best of my knowledge, I don't have any sort of premium audio system. I'd like to get a bit more volume (and sound quality) from my system.

I'm going to replace all of the speakers, but I was wondering how I'd go about adding an amp for those speakers as well (while maintaining the stock Sync 3 head and existing speaker wiring). Replacing the speakers seems pretty straight forward, but how do you use a 3rd party amp? Is there a wiring harness that simplifies this process? I'd really prefer not to have to run speaker wiring if possible, but I don't know if that's an option or not? Any links or resources would be greatly appreciated.

Also, further down the line I might add a small powered sub as well. I'm going to see what it sounds like with a new amp and speakers first, but if I could find a product that gives me the option to send audio to a small powered sub (line or speaker level I suppose), that would make things easier if/when I decide to add a sub.

Thanks!
Ok so in my pics I believe I show my audio build. Buuuttt, to hook up to existing receiver I had to buy a digital converter. I changed all the speakers, sub, it has crossovers all that jazz. I'll try and look it up to give you the name of the piece, you can see

Thanks!

Paul Moline

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCab 4X4

Thanks!
I did the exact same thing, replaced speakers, installed amp and powered sub. Made a huge difference. This is the amp and harness I used

https://plugnplaykits.com/collectio...control-plug-play-amps?variant=41898011230398

If you email them with questions they get back to you real fast.

hookem57

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Driver
Ok so in my pics I believe I show my audio build. Buuuttt, to hook up to existing receiver I had to buy a digital converter. I changed all the speakers, sub, it has crossovers all that jazz. I'll try and look it up to give you the name of the piece, you can see
Sorry it cut my post. You can see it on the driver's side

OP
OP

ianmgull

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4
Hey thanks for the help everyone. I'll dig through the links and use one of these harnesses.

Just to clarify, when you're using these 'no cut' harnesses, you're sending a speaker level to the external amp, and the output of the amp back to the speaker wires. I assume that means you don't have to make any forscan adjustments, right?

I haven't taken that leap yet, so I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that.

Last edited:

FitterInARanger

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Pipefitter/Welder
Just ordered a T Harness from T Harness aka LLJ.

Here is the link for the harness.

https://t-harness.com/products/2011-2020-ford-vehicle-select-models-none-amplified-hot-n-ready

Note: my 2021 Ranger XLT takes this harness adapter. Verify your connections before buying, don’t be like me. I ordered the 2019-2024 assuming it would work even though they tell you to check. Upon checking out of curiosity before it arrived I realized I needed the 2011-2020 adapter.

Luckily T Harness customer service rocks and told me to RTS and then they will swap out the adapter to the correct one.
Sponsored