How did/does the Ford Performance tune continue to dupe people?

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
This is not about any inherent problem in the FPP tune, it runs fine, the same as all the others. However you constantly hear people giving the advice "get the ford tune it doesn't mess with your warranty".

Does no one read the paper documents with products anymore? There is literally pages in the warranty docs on coverage and liability.

Ford/FPP makes their liability so ambiguous that if they smell a fart in the driver seat they reserve the right to deny a claim. Out of the numerous "outs" they have listed, this looks like plain English to me:

"Should any parts contained within this catalog prove
defective following their purchase, the buyer and not
the manufacturer, distributor or retailer, shall assume
the entire cost of all necessary servicing and/or repair.
The entire risk as to the performance of such parts or
vehicles is with the buyer."
Sponsored

that408guy

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
It sounds like that is for some parts in the catalog but not all. There is clear language about the performance packs, "Installation of these select Ford Performance warranted performance packs and components by an authorized installer will NOT void your New Vehicle Limited Warranty."

that408guy

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Most Ford Performance parts are not sold with a warranty. Ford Performance parts are sold “as is”, “with all faults”, “as they stand” and without any express warranty whatsoever, unless otherwise expressly designated herein.

Main line here is "unless otherwise expressly designated herein. " I could be wrong though.

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
It sounds like that is for some parts in the catalog but not all.

And how did you gather that from " Should any parts contained within this catalog..." ?

Oh and you are right, the very act of of having the FPP tune will not void it, but that is not my point.

Main line here is "unless otherwise expressly designated herein. " I could be wrong though.
The very next sentence in the warranty pamplet after that very exact quote you posted:

"Engine, drive line, and suspension concerns not caused by
the use of Ford Performance parts
remain eligible for warranty coverage according to the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty."

They are basically saying what would apply to any damn aftermarket modification by stating Magnus Moss Act, without saying Magnus Moss Act. lmao

Other random things not covered:

Did you know using your truck as a stationary power source can void your warranty? Have an FPP tune, but also overland, roll the dice my friend.

How about racing? Brilliant marketing plan right? Lets sell a "performance" product, but if we determine you uh... performanced to much performance out of your performance product we can't help ya.

The list goes on and on and on.

Last edited:

Shoran12

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
Imagine walking into the dealership with a blown up transmission and them telling you, “yes sir, that’s just a normal characteristic of these trucks.” They do that with everything else, why not transmissions? ?

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
My only comment on this is I have had Ecoboost performance vehicles since the tail end of 2012 and on multiple forums I have never heard of anyone with the Ford Performance tune have a warranty claim denied, can't say that about other tunes.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
The FPP parts themselves do not have a warranty. The language cited (below) applies only to the part itself, I.e. the tune.

If there is an engine failure within the 3/36 warranty period determined to be related to the tune, Ford warranties that it will pay for the resulting damage, as per the warranty language below. However, they will not reimburse the cost of the tune per the language above.

“Installation of these select Ford Performance warranted performance packs and components by an authorized installer will NOT void your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Engine, driveline and suspension concerns not caused by the use of Ford Performance parts remain eligible for warranty coverage according to the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Ford Performance parts are aftermarket parts. The use of Ford Performance parts may impact the performance characteristics of other systems of the vehicle. Even when operating properly, Ford Performance parts, such as these, have the potential to adversely impact other systems of the vehicle. If an adverse impact is caused by a warranted Ford Performance pack or component, the period and coverage of this Ford Performance Limited Warranty applies to the repairs.”

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I was so close to adding the FPP tune until I read the fine print. I got an extended warranty when I got the truck. Being on this forum beforehand and saw some of the issues some were having seemed to be a good idea at the time. By adding it I’m pretty much throwing that warranty away with adding the tune. So in essence a 75K warranty turns back into a 36K one I started with.

8C729D4D-09B3-4E30-8BE5-6F18AD0C3169.jpeg

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
The FPP parts themselves do not have a warranty. The language cited (below) applies only to the part itself, I.e. the tune.

If there is an engine failure within the 3/36 warranty period determined to be related to the tune, Ford warranties that it will pay for the resulting damage, as per the warranty language below. However, they will not reimburse the cost of the tune per the language above.

“Installation of these select Ford Performance warranted performance packs and components by an authorized installer will NOT void your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Engine, driveline and suspension concerns not caused by the use of Ford Performance parts remain eligible for warranty coverage according to the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Its called double speak and they have you hook line and sinker.

Why even include the red bolded language for a part? Under what purpose does it serve than leaving another door open to take at their discretion. If it only applies to the part, why the included verbiage?

The key part being "or vehicles".

Or for that matter, what the hell does "risk of the performance is with the buyer" even mean? lmao

It is all lawyer speak and it is not in there for your protection, as it clearly indicates.

Between the ambiguous liability verbiage, coupled with a "here is a list of things we know you are going to do to that will void your warranty at our discretion" - the entire point of the thread is again, not that anything is inherently wrong with the FPP, but the sky if falling sales tactic of convincing customers of iron clad protection.

My only comment on this is I have had Ecoboost performance vehicles since the tail end of 2012 and on multiple forums I have never heard of anyone with the Ford Performance tune have a warranty claim denied, can't say that about other tunes.
And I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the FPP, just the terrible tactics, carefully calculated and created to give a false impression of unbreakable peace of mind.

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I was so close to adding the FPP tune until I read the fine print. I got an extended warranty when I got the truck. Being on this forum beforehand and saw some of the issues some were having seemed to be a good idea at the time. By adding it I’m pretty much throwing that warranty away with adding the tune. So in essence a 75K warranty turns back into a 36K one I started with.

8C729D4D-09B3-4E30-8BE5-6F18AD0C3169.jpeg
Well, sort of half true, its just after the 36k (if you have extended warranty) be prepared to spend screw you money on a lawyer to pursue the Magnus Moss Act if the damage is unrelated.

wetidlerjr

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger XLT, SCrew, FX4, Shadow Blk, Blk App Pkg
Occupation
Retired Railroad Construction Signalman
Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare
:like:

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare
:like:
Probably, but it makes my eye twitch the same as people who think the lady who spilled the hot coffee on her crotch at McDonalds think the lady was in the wrong for winning the lawsuit without bothering to actually read the facts of the case.

Perpetual bullshit so forth and so forth.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
We’re probably not going to accomplish much arguing contract interpretation on a truck forum. May be best to just agree to disagree and move on. Everyone can read the documents and make up their own mind.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Although I've not had to deal with Ford on any warranty issues on the Ranger (did with 1991 SHO and they were bad) I have to believe the experience would be better the what Hyundai/KIA owners have had to deal with, I don't think the forementioned brands should even be allowed to operate in the US market, they cover as little as possible unless forced by legal means, I mention this because they tout their 10yr/100 mile industry leading warranty, yet were routinely denying claims on their defective engines and continue to try and find ways to do so. I own a Hyundai and as expected it's starting to consume oil despite rigorously adhering to the 5k oci and using syn. Good summation in the article. I think Ford's warranty woes are hurting them both financially and will result in customer loss as it's too often a royal pia to deal with warranty issues.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/c...f-very-troublesome-engines-continues-44497118
Sponsored

Last edited: