hard tonneau cover: school me

TX-Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab 2wd Lightning Blue/302A package/trailer tow/spray in bedliner
Went with this (Lomax) for my 2019. Only issue is some water leakage at highway speeds. Not enough to bother me, but I will weatherstrip the front better at some point. No leakage at rest.

https://www.agricover.com/lomax/results/

Current price is about $100 more than what I paid, inflation/supply chain being what it is not terrible for coming up on 3 years since I bought.

Garage kept and rubber/finish has held up well. Folds flat if only needing 2/3 of bed. Lifts out easily if needing full bed. Fairly light, when I remove I usually hand to my wife standing on the ground and she leans it against the wall.
Sponsored

Hethern

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red Ranger
Occupation
Communications Technician aka (Phone Man)
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Extang Exceed Tonneau Cover and I love it.

IMG_5411.jpg

FatalException0E

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Crew FX4 - Blue, '19 Subaru Forester Touring - White
I have the Bakflip Revolver. I like it because it looks like a soft vinyl cover, but uses aluminum slats and is secure. It rolls up on top, so it doesn't take up bed space, but does block about half the back window when rolled up. (short bed) It doesn't impede the rear view much except for hiding the bumper humpers a bit more than normal. If you have the longer bed it may block your back window a little more.

chuck s

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger lariat
Occupation
self employed
i have a leer 350 hard fold... been very pleased overall, fits well, solid and i prefer the latches on it

LagoCJ

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor, 2021 Bronco FE
Another vote for the Bakflip Revolver. If you need it open, its more compact to roll it open than the 3 or 4 piece ones. I had a 4 piece Bakflip on my Sierra and it was a pain when open. Also, I like not having a bundle inside the cargo area like the auto or manual 'rollers' have. Takes up too much space and can't have a low profile tool box in the front of the bed.

ArizonaRangers

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 4D and 2023 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
I have the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 Tonneau Cover. I've had it for 2 years now, and I love it. When I fold it back I can still see out the back window (enough). If I need to remove it completely, I can do it by myself in about a minute. Have had no known leakage issues even when going through a car wash. I highly recommend. Got mine here

https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.c...ng-Solid-Fold-2-0-Tonneau-Cover?set-vehicle=1

for $881 back in Dec of 2019. It appears that it can be purchased for $767.20 with free shipping using the coupon code WINTER right now.

FrogDarner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Another vote for Bakflip Revolver X4s. I've had this on my supercab for about a year now and love it. Doesn't block rear view when rolled open, seals tight (when installed correctly), very minimal water intrusion in heavy rain and driving, sits flush, holds quite a bit of weight on top when staging for loading stuff. First one I received had some cracked plastic and was in bad shape, they shipped a new one out in about a week and this one was perfect.

It's important to get the rails installed level. The instructions are HORRIBLE!!!!!! so it took some time to figure this out, but the "shims" it comes with got that done when I figured what to do. Once it's dialed in the tailgate will slip right under the top like a glove and seal against it's own weatherstriping.

JPB237

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
My Ranger is my first truck, so I know little about the details of tonneau covers.

I love a pretty active lifestyle and like most "western" states, theft crimes is high in my area. So I want a hard cover.

I would normally want a cap, as my dad always had those growing up, but up here, they are $3000+ and honestly don't look as good as they do on full size trucks.

So hard cover it is.

I can get a hard trifold like Gator or Rough Country or Extang for just under a grand with shipping.

Or, I can go all out and get the Diamondback HD (buy once, cry once) that can literally support a dead moose on top.

What says the hive mind?

Are the cheaper trifolds junk for hard use (camping, fishing, hunting, bad weather) within their weight restrictions?

Should I just go all out and buy the pricey boy?
I went with Lomax it is light and easy to take off and no leakage

tremorman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
I have the BakFlip X4S Rolling Hardcover. It was about $1100 shipped. It does an ok job of keeping water out, but it is easy to break into if you have the correct tool. It will keep street-walking randos out because the cover canā€™t be opened by pulling on it. Installation was a bit of a pain because the directions might as well have been written in Chinese. I am happy with it, but I probably wonā€™t buy it again because of how easy it is to break into it.
I've been considering this cover, why is it so easy to break into? Haven't heard this before about the X4S...

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I've been considering this cover, why is it so easy to break into? Haven't heard this before about the X4S...
Any cover with the single cable you pull to release can be opened from the outside. Bend a coat hanger to snag the cable, fish it between the cover and tailgate, and pullā€¦. It is easy to block the cable, meaning you would then have to find a different way to snag/hook the cable to release the cover.

tremorman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Any cover with the single cable you pull to release can be opened from the outside. Bend a coat hanger to snag the cable, fish it between the cover and tailgate, and pullā€¦. It is easy to block the cable, meaning you would then have to find a different way to snag/hook the cable to release the cover.
Yeah but like you said it's easy to block it and deal with that, so if one does that security isn't a concern with this cover any more than someone breaking into the cab itself is a concern... Right?

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Yeah but like you said it's easy to block it and deal with that, so if one does that security isn't a concern with this cover any more than someone breaking into the cab itself is a concern... Right?
Once this is addressed, I think you have to really be determined to get in. I feel safe with this cover. Iā€™ve had a expensive camping gear and tools back there with little concern. Still need to practice common sense.

The other thing I like about the cover is the ability to support weight. On vacation, my girlfriend stood on it a few times for a better vantage point for a few photos.

ScottyT

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
A bed cover will be 1 of the first things I add. Torn between Bak Revolver X4S or one of the Bakflip Hard Folding tops (G2 or MX4).

I like the idea of rolling it up and still have some visibility out the back window. The tri fold tops do block your back window when folded up.

RickyDean

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4WD
Occupation
Retired
Iā€™ve had soft cover roll-up tonneauā€™s on 3 different trucks over the last 18 years and would definitely recommend that you consider one. The soft cover rollupā€˜s are easy to roll up and easy roll down again, they seal up tight with no leaks and last years. All my trucks sit outside full time and the covers have lasted at least 5 years. They are also very light and allow full access to your truck bed. And are relatively cheap - especially compared to the hard covers. If you wipe them down with a UV protectant every month or so, you could probably get 10 years out of a roll-up soft cover. The cover on my Ranger is made by Truxedo but the others I had (on my Ram trucks) were different brands (donā€™t remember what brands) and they all worked well.

HMG03

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor, 05/06 ZX6R 636 Stunt Bike
Occupation
Firefighter
Once this is addressed, I think you have to really be determined to get in. I feel safe with this cover. Iā€™ve had a expensive camping gear and tools back there with little concern. Still need to practice common sense.

The other thing I like about the cover is the ability to support weight. On vacation, my girlfriend stood on it a few times for a better vantage point for a few photos.
Honestly, I trust the Tonneau more that I trust stuff being inside the truck. You can just smash a window to get into my truck, and that's if you can see what you want thru my tints. But then again, I never leave anything of value in my truck to begin with. One has to be pretty mechanically inclined to jimmy the X4S open with a tool. If you stand there and examine it for a bit, you'll be able to spot the weaknesses. But thwen again, all covers have a weakness. I recommend that you get the X4S instead of the tri-fold.
Sponsored