First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Vehicle Showcase
Seriously?
I snapped this at a grocery store in a nearby military town….
Is it:
a) Inappropriate
- or -
b) wildly inappropriate

898A96BA-EF2B-4E14-98C8-72E1B6D00C7A.jpeg
Sponsored

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Don't understand...what is inappropriate about it ? For us US citizens, Remembrance Day is to Canada what our Veteran's Day is to us). The word "Happy" ? At least they remembered !!!
Down here there are a lot who don't even know, or care about us Vet's. So it's nice to see they honor it.

OP
OP
Metal Geezer

Metal Geezer

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Don't understand...what is inappropriate about it ? For us US citizens, Remembrance Day is to Canada what our Veteran's Day is to us). The word "Happy" ? At least they remembered !!!
Down here there are a lot who don't even know, or care about us Vet's. So it's nice to see they honor it.
I can see your point, but yes, “happy” strikes me as inappropriate.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah, I can also see your point. But, I'd let it slide...after all the business did remember. Maybe they just unaware of the use of "happy" isn't appropriate.
If your a vet or just a concerned citizen maybe point it out to the owner/manager to possible re-word it...."Remembrance Day, Lest We Not Forget"

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Retired
Seriously?
I snapped this at a grocery store in a nearby military town….
Is it:
a) Inappropriate
- or -
b) wildly inappropriate

898A96BA-EF2B-4E14-98C8-72E1B6D00C7A.jpeg
Funny how we all see things differently. As what struck me was there were no candy, nuts or little trinkets in the coin slot machines. Hence remembrance day :giggle:

But in all seriousness, much respect to all who served in Military, LEO, FOD, etc... :like:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I’m letting it slide.
Simply had a gripe in me that needed to see daylight.
Hi Thom,

I agree...let it slide. My view is that it was well intended but somewhat misguided.

Tomorrow I will be putting my flag out respect for our USA military as my father was USAF for 30 years and Army AirCorp before that. Screw my HOA and their stupid rules to have to seek permission to fly the flag prior to a specific date and do the submission for approval 45 days before the date.

best,
Phil

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My biggest complaint, whether in Canada or here in the USA, are all the companies, large and small, that offer us Vets "Free Stuff" on Veterans Day and Memorial Day. Free 6 inch sub and small drink at our local gas/food mart, or a free burger and fries (drink not included).
They "honor" us on 2 days out of 365...well what about the other 363 days and the vets that are homeless or have to go to food banks.
If all the companies would take the $$$ that they "give away" on these 2 days, and contribute it instead to some of the Vets organizations that are begging for donations, I think that money would be put to much better use, and greatly appreciated by these organizations. Think of the thousands of business's and who knows how many millions of $$$ could be better spent than a sub, burger, or desert.

OP
OP
Metal Geezer

Metal Geezer

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My biggest complaint, whether in Canada or here in the USA, are all the companies, large and small, that offer us Vets "Free Stuff" on Veterans Day and Memorial Day. Free 6 inch sub and small drink at our local gas/food mart, or a free burger and fries (drink not included).
They "honor" us on 2 days out of 365...well what about the other 363 days and the vets that are homeless or have to go to food banks.
If all the companies would take the $$$ that they "give away" on these 2 days, and contribute it instead to some of the Vets organizations that are begging for donations, I think that money would be put to much better use, and greatly appreciated by these organizations. Think of the thousands of business's and who knows how many millions of $$$ could be better spent than a sub, burger, or desert.
Although not a vet, I have full respect for all who serve.
Sad to think that all (may be exceptions…?) governments seem to have a “Thanks, now go away” attitude.
Perhaps I’m wrong.

Last edited:

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pretty much how our "Uncle" views us. He only seems to claim relationships with us when we're under his wing, but once we're out and on our own he tends to avoid us as much as possible.
Knock wood I have been able to make my own way and haven't had to depend on him for anything.
Sadly, not the same for many, many Vet's who are still waiting for him to up-hold his end of the contract.

Last edited:

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Thom,

I agree...let it slide. My view is that it was well intended but somewhat misguided.

Tomorrow I will be putting my flag out respect for our USA military as my father was USAF for 30 years and Army AirCorp before that. Screw my HOA and their stupid rules to have to seek permission to fly the flag prior to a specific date and do the submission for approval 45 days before the date.

best,
Phil
You go Phil, I have it quite a bit easier. The Veterans club in my gated HOA community places a flag in front of your home for a small yearly donation. Flags also line the streets in the common areas. They'll have a service at the vets memorial as well. The neighborhood is aflutter with flags several days before and after the appropriate holidays. Quite the sight.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You go Phil, I have it quite a bit easier. The Veterans club in my gated HOA community places a flag in front of your home for a small yearly donation. Flags also line the streets in the common areas. They'll have a service at the vets memorial as well. The neighborhood is aflutter with flags several days before and after the appropriate holidays. Quite the sight.
Hi Doug,

Wonderful! Our Elks club lines the main drag with flags. This HOA is going to cave as the HOA attorney has advised Board they are on very thin ice. This whole thing is a fellow flying a Blue Flag which represents Military Police, Military Fire and Military Doctors. It is a non standard flag. The home owner did not submit a request...Board is afraid of lawsuits... Hope they cave on flying the flag!

Best,
Phil

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
The way I see it, at least for Memorial Day here, the day is not a time to mourn the loss. It's a day to remember and celebrate those who sacrificed. Happy Memorial Day wouldn't be weird to hear, for me. Whoever wrote that is just trying to do their part in remembering. In my opinion, as long as they are remembering, there is no wrong way.

In the US, there is confusion between who is celebrated on Veteran's Day (served and alive) vs Memorial day (served and dead). Some people get really bent about it, but at least that person was thinking about those who served.
Sponsored