First Name
Dillen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Fx4
Occupation
self employed
There's a custom pistol builder in Texas that built a 2011 (double stack 1911) with two slides, one in 9mm and one in .40 cal. IIRC, the owner blew the gun up the first time to the range. He had the 9mm slide on, shot it, swapped the slide to the .40 slide and accidentally used the 9mm mag which didn't go bang when he tried to shoot because the round was in the barrel instead of the chamber. He didn't check the barrel before inserting a .40 mag and sending a .40 cal bullet into the back of a 9mm loaded round / obstruction. Expensive lesson.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
There's a custom pistol builder in Texas that built a 2011 (double stack 1911) with two slides, one in 9mm and one in .40 cal. IIRC, the owner blew the gun up the first time to the range. He had the 9mm slide on, shot it, swapped the slide to the .40 slide and accidentally used the 9mm mag which didn't go bang when he tried to shoot because the round was in the barrel instead of the chamber. He didn't check the barrel before inserting a .40 mag and sending a .40 cal bullet into the back of a 9mm loaded round / obstruction. Expensive lesson.
When I was with the training unit at my Sheriff's Office, we started transitioning everyone from .40 to 9mm. That meant having two pistol calibers on the range at the same time. 🤦‍♂️

We would tell the class, and I am directly quoting here, " We have two different types of ammo out here. We will keep the 9mm on this side of the range and the .40 on the other side. Don't unload your 9mm into the 40 can. Don't unload your 40 into the 9mm can. If you do that, you will be creating a BIG BALL OF FUCK. Don't be the person who creates the BIG BALL FO FUCK."

Inevitably, one of us instructors would have to announce to the class something along the lines of, "Congratulations, class. Someone amongst you has created a BIG BALL OF FUCK! Now you get to sort all of the ammo before you go home."

It was funny how, collectively among the training staff, it was known as "THE BIG BALL OF FUCK." 🤣

I gotta say, I've seen a lot of 9mm fed through .40 Glocks while I was with the Sheriff's office, and I was impressed with the Glocks. Usually, we'd see a short stroked slide and a form-fired 9mm casing, but no stuck projectiles or exploded guns. Well, except one time, we did have a stuck project that led to a bulged barrel and a locked-up slide.

I can also attest that full-auto an H&K MP5 .40 DOES NOT LIKE 9MM.

Someone created a different kind of BIG BALL OF FUCK X2 with a can of 180 GR (sub-sonic) by emptying several mags of 165 GR .40 in it. The SWAT team couldn't use that ammo in their suppressed MP5s, so we grabbed the can of ammo, several mags, and two MP5s off our training rack to "get rid of the ammo." Wouldn't you know, a few 9mm rounds found their way into that can of ammo, too, and one got loaded in a mag (Sorry! I was BS'ing with my buddy!) and fed into the gun.

The gun short-stroked; I quickly and manually cycled the bolt and BANG! Two .40 went off (full auto) into a squibbed barrel.

It was an expensive fix, but I still have all of my parts. The MP5 had to be sent off to H&K to be re-barreled, and my boss was displeased.

Last edited:

DocE3Gun

First Name
Dillen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Fx4
Occupation
self employed
When I was with the training unit at my Sheriff's Office, we started transitioning everyone from .40 to 9mm. That meant having two pistol calibers on the range at the same time. 🤦‍♂️

We would tell the class, and I am directly quoting here, " We have two different types of ammo out here. We will keep the 9mm on this side of the range and the .40 on the other side. Don't unload your 9mm into the 40 can. Don't unload your 40 into the 9mm can. If you do that, you will be creating a BIG BALL OF FUCK. Don't be the person who creates the BOG BALL FO FUCK."

Inevitably, one of us instructors would have to announce to the class something along the lines of, "Congratulations, class. Someone amongst you has created a BIG BALL OF FUCK! Now you get to sort all of the ammo before you go home."

It was funny how, collectively among the training staff, it was known as "THE BIG BALL OF FUCK." 🤣

I gotta say, I've seen a lot of 9mm fed through .40 Glocks while I was with the Sheriff's office, and I was impressed with the Glocks. Usually, we'd see a short stroked slide and a form-fired 9mm casing, but no stuck projectiles or exploded guns. Well, except one time, we did have a stuck project that led to a bulged barrel and a locked-up slide.

I can also attest that full-auto an H&K MP5 .40 DOES NOT LIKE 9MM.

Someone created a different kind of BIG BALL OF FUCK X2 with a can of 180 GR (sub-sonic) by emptying several mags of 165 GR .40 in it. The SWAT team couldn't use that ammo in their suppressed MP5s, so we grabbed the can of ammo, several mags, and two MP5s off our training rack to "get rid of the ammo." Wouldn't you know, a few 9mm rounds found their way into that can of ammo, too, and one got loaded in a mag (Sorry! I was BS'ing with my buddy!) and fed into the gun.

The gun short-stroked; I quickly and manually cycled the bolt and BANG! Two .40 went off (full auto) into a squibbed barrel.

It was an expensive fix, but I still have all of my parts. The MP5 had to be sent off to H&K to be re-barreled, and my boss was displeased.
That poor MP5!!!

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My latest little gun restoration project is done! This is an old German, Herbert & Schmidt EIG E15 .22LR single action. It was a bit of a chore getting it to work - it was missing some internal parts. Getting the timing right with old, cast-off pieces was a process!

Screenshot 2023-12-04 084039.png

2023-11-14 13.50.05.jpg

2023-11-26 14.52.15-1.jpg

IMG_20231126_151558.jpg

2024-01-11 17.15.50-1.jpg

IMG_20240111_175439.jpg

DocE3Gun

First Name
Dillen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Fx4
Occupation
self employed
Yeah, it was not good. But when we got it back, we put an ol' skool fixed stock on it and an old Surefire tac-light foregrip, and it was mid-90s retro cool!
I've got a Dakota Tactical n54 Mp5 incoming to SBR and toss a Magpul stock onto.....I'm a fan.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

DocE3Gun

First Name
Dillen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Fx4
Occupation
self employed
One of the things I miss about my old job was having access to a bunker full of ammo and fun guns! Oh, and the Lenco Bearcat armored truck was fun, too. 🤣 Damn, I wish my videos of the full auto fun would upload!

Let's see if this works... (This is a SIG MPX that we replaced the SWAT MP5's with.)
https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/MpfePcAaSxCPGyGSZDMhAQ.9S079CxiaPJIwrKY9xOVj0
Do you know what gen that MPX was? The newer ones seem better, but the first gen had some major issues from what I saw in competition.

Reactions: Doc

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know what gen that MPX was? The newer ones seem better, but the first gen had some major issues from what I saw in competition.
It was first gen. We had to custom order those with the shortest barrel but the longest handguard. The Sig folks really got to head-scratching over that, even though it was evident what we were doing with them as we ordered the cans from Sig at the same time.

They functioned very reliably, but accuracy was spotty over a couple different brands and weights of 9mm.

Here are some full auto Daniel Defense:
https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/MV_jbOe1QMuR8NgXHS6hsQ.nKgXKPiP19W9MAtYSeJdlc
and
https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/cC5qcEuuSNq3RusnW-23Ww.uDdWT3dPQL8Lu9qkiAyH_8

This one is kinda funny. The rear take-down pin on this MP5 broke and walked out while I was shooting up my broken Samsung refrigerator door.
https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/cC5qcEuuSNq3RusnW-23Ww.uDdWT3dPQL8Lu9qkiAyH_8

This was a really crappy .45 Mac we scored off a drug raid. It was GARBAGE! HAHAHAHA
https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/PgRoNHlgQmK3756dGkLvUg.4P1RmwBNduPBCnuLGZch4m
and
https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/pM_t9bW2R8qlJcf0X8dPUQ.N0DDmINOOhiAu-U6XAA9eK

Damn! I love these MP5s!!! Even in .40 they were sooooooo smooth!
https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/pM_t9bW2R8qlJcf0X8dPUQ.N0DDmINOOhiAu-U6XAA9eK

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Looking for a pistol recommendation, have owned rifles and shotguns for hunting, I recently purchased an RV and plan to do some camping in remore area so the pistol will be for personal protect reasons and moreso against 2 legged beasts than 4 legged ones. I've shot pistols in the past but not for a while, I stopped by a bass pro shop yesterday and looked at a few ruger 9mm and glocks , they were lower cost and probably looking to spend up to $350 if I can get a decent pistol for that price. But did learn some pistols are setup for either right or left hand and some are universal, I'm a lefty and wife is a righty, I'd like to teach her how to use the pistol. I'm thinking of one with a magazine as opposed to a revolver but open to both. This will not be for concealed carry.

thanks

BS67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Eye Tech, 2A supporter, USMC "Doc" '89-'95
Are you specifically looking at 9mm caliber?

Reactions: Doc

bka0721

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ranger Edge 2X4 Reg Cab - 2004 Ranger XLT 4X4 4dr - 2008 F550 4X4 Crew Cab Dually
Looking for a pistol recommendation, have owned rifles and shotguns for hunting, I recently purchased an RV and plan to do some camping in remore area so the pistol will be for personal protect reasons and moreso against 2 legged beasts than 4 legged ones. I've shot pistols in the past but not for a while, I stopped by a bass pro shop yesterday and looked at a few ruger 9mm and glocks , they were lower cost and probably looking to spend up to $350 if I can get a decent pistol for that price. But did learn some pistols are setup for either right or left hand and some are universal, I'm a lefty and wife is a righty, I'd like to teach her how to use the pistol. I'm thinking of one with a magazine as opposed to a revolver but open to both. This will not be for concealed carry.

thanks

As a retired LEO I have this questioned posed to me often, "What is the best handgun to own for home defense?" These are the questions I ask in return.

Are you prepared to take another person's life?
Are you familiar with rules of escalation?
Are you familiar with the firearm rules in the area that you will have a firearm?
Pick a handgun that fits your hand.
Choose a caliber that allows you to practice easily and often (22 LR or 9mm).
Have you considered a shotgun for home defense?
Spend as much $$ for training and practice with a firearm as you would purchasing a pistol.
Most incidents occur at night, be prepared to train under adverse conditions.
Learn how to store safely and clean your pistol.

Me?
I train with a S&W M&P 22LR (Same as my M&P 9mm and 40 cal both retired service)
I use a .357 cal wheel gun (more dependable than a pistol), Glock, M&P and Shadow System.

Good luck and get some training and practice. Great date night activity, too!

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
As a retired LEO I have this questioned posed to me often, "What is the best handgun to own for home defense?" These are the questions I ask in return.

Are you prepared to take another person's life?
Are you familiar with rules of escalation?
Are you familiar with the firearm rules in the area that you will have a firearm?
Pick a handgun that fits your hand.
Choose a caliber that allows you to practice easily and often (22 LR or 9mm).
Have you considered a shotgun for home defense?
Spend as much $$ for training and practice with a firearm as you would purchasing a pistol.
Most incidents occur at night, be prepared to train under adverse conditions.
Learn how to store safely and clean your pistol.

Me?
I train with a S&W M&P 22LR (Same as my M&P 9mm and 40 cal both retired service)
I use a .357 cal wheel gun (more dependable than a pistol), Glock, M&P and Shadow System.

Good luck and get some training and practice. Great date night activity, too!
I keep a loaded shotgun in the bedroom closet for home defense purposes, the pistol would be for when I'm in the backcountry in a remote location with my RV, so yes to your questions, so here is my thought process as I've never previously owned a handgun and really don't anticipate ever having to use one for self defense purposes, however there are occasional instances of whack jobs in the backcountry and I don't want to be a situation even if the odds are very small of saying "gee I wished I would have spent that money for a pistol." Don't want to inflame the board but started out shooting in boy scouts and have been a hunter for many decades but in some instances I do favor stricter gun controls - too many irresponsible and unstable people own powerful firearms.
thanks

BS67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Eye Tech, 2A supporter, USMC "Doc" '89-'95
either that or .38
Everyone has their brands they like......I'm partial to Glock 9mm loaded with Hornady Critical Defense ammo. However, lately I've been carrying my Ruger LCR 22LR loaded with Federal Punch. I also have 4-Keltec P17 22LR loaded with Federal Punch. LCRs are expensive........Keltec P17s are around $200.........Glocks can be had for around your price above if you look for it! Some folks will say a 22LR isn't a defensive round.......IMHO I wouldn't want to be hit with one......ammo is inexpensive and available.......recoil is very mild. My wife has a Taurus PT22 loaded with Federal Punch.....she's a good shot with it vs my 9mm and 45s. I figure a 22LR is better than nothing at all! Hope my info is helpful!