Gun Related Pictures and Chat

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
For a 22 you could get a S&W M&P 15-22 which is the AR style so it's the exact same set up as the .223. All the functions and accessories are the same so this way you can train and shoot more without the cost of .223.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-15-22-sport-optics-ready-4x-scope-bipod-10-round-promo-kit

If you just want a basic 22 rifle you can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22. They have them in Bolt action and semi auto.

https://www.ruger.com/products/1022/overview.html
I have a basic .22 It's a Marlin 60 that I bought when I turned 18 at a store called Otasco. It was my first gun purchase. LOVE that rifle. Actually my SIL bought my daughter the same rifle for her 21st birthday (before he was my SIL).

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I may just wait on Tom :bandit:
My SIL built his a few years ago but we can never get our shifts straight so I rarely see him.

I am looking at Ammo first anyway as I know it will be harder to come by. The .22 is my first choice to plink with and get used to, The .223 I didn't think about building, thought it would be more expensive. I thought it was just like computers, it used to be cheaper to build but now they are throw-away's and cheap to buy. I will look into parts to see some costs. Any recommendations would be great. I know NOTHING about it. So silly questions will be forth-coming :like:

I will check out the links tonight at work.....not much happening so I won't be real busy.

Thanks again for the info!
The two links for the .223 are very good and believe it or not they're in stock. All of Palmetto's stuff is a full lifetime warrantee and they have good customer service. You'll save about 12-15% building it yourself because you're not paying someone else to build it and I think (IIRC) the manufacturer has to pay more if they sell it as a complete rifle rather than parts? If you decide to go this route I can give you a list of tools you'll need but I'm sure you probably have most. It's basic hand tools and there are a couple cheap things that are worth buying because it will save you time and aggravation.

There is some Tula .223 in stock at Target Sports right now and at a decent price.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/tul-ammo-223-remington-55-grain-fmj-steel-case-ta223550-p-3078.aspx

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Got the LCPII back from Ruger last week or so and took it to the range. Peanut butter and friggen JAM! Multiple jams.

The POS after a quick clean went to Cabela's for $180. Cost $350 w/ integrated laser. I don't care. I hated that gun after the first EF up.

On a positive note the range debuts of the Glock 26, Glock 42 and MK9 went well.
The G42 had two malfunctions in 150 rounds with the wife shooting. I had some TruGlo TFX Pro's installed too.

The best thing was my wife was racking the 42 and even my 26 very well. I was shocked. The MK9 not so much It's 5.3" in length and the spring is stiff.

Going back to the range Friday and will see if my Kahr P380 will debut well.

BaGMaN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
USAF Retired
I wouldn't get the 223. Get the 5.56. it is rated for a higher chamber pressure and you can shoot both rounds through it.

Instead of buying a seperate 22lr, you can buy another upper setup for 22lr and change them out in less than 30 sec. Otherwise I would suggest a Ruger 10/22. So many options for them makes it great.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I wouldn't get the 223. Get the 5.56. it is rated for a higher chamber pressure and you can shoot both rounds through it.

Instead of buying a seperate 22lr, you can buy another upper setup for 22lr and change them out in less than 30 sec. Otherwise I would suggest a Ruger 10/22. So many options for them makes it great.

All those I listed are chambered in 5.56.

As for getting another upper to change out I like to have a separate 22 because they are so damn dirty to shoot and I HATE CLEANING MY GUNS. lol The lower and trigger area gets leaded up with 22's so personally I prefer to have a separate one. Plus while I'm shooting my AR my girlfriend can shoot the 15-22 . They do have the conversion kits for around $170 on sale where you just swap out the bolt and get a few 22 mags with it. You're right though, there are so many choices for a good 22 rifle.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...=Avantlink&utm_content=NA&utm_campaign=Itwine

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
So looking at the Palmetto State Armory site, this is what I come up with.
1590627011040.png

What am I missing (if anything)? Does anything need to be sent to an FFL? Decent price?
All info appreciated!

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
So looking at the Palmetto State Armory site, this is what I come up with.
1590627011040.png

What am I missing (if anything)? Does anything need to be sent to an FFL? Decent price?
All info appreciated!
The lower has to go to a ffl. It has the serial number on it the rest can go directly to you.

The upper is good just be aware that you limit yourself with the plastic hand guard for accessories if that even matters to you. I don't like lights and lasers on mine so for me it's no big deal but I also have several others that are a full M-Lok rail like the link I posted earlier.

Other than that you're GTG. I'll dig out a couple videos you can watch on how to build an AR. There's one tool you should get on Amazon,it's to instal the pivot pin. Even though you MIGHT only build one this tool is a lifesaver! I've sent many of springs and detents flying across my kitchen and still have no idea where they went. Also I got a small brass hammer at Harbor Freight for knocking in the roll pins. Other than that you'll just need a few different punches,mostly small ones. Oh a vise block helps but I don't have one and it can be done easily without one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078KSDGZ1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_2357.jpg

Last edited:

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank You Dave! I didn't know about the upper being plastic. I am a novice at this. I did text my daughter and she is going to have my SIL call me sometime tomorrow. He is off tomorrow but going to work with Narcotics for some OT and I am taking tomorrow off for a long weekend since I worked my b-day.

I will keep posting some silly questions. :crackup: I have a tendency to jump in with both feet when something new interests me. I research as much as I can and I ask a lot of questions.

Thanks for the videos too! Now I have something to do.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Anytime Doug! I do the same thing,once I get on something I research it to death. There's nothing wrong with the plastic hand guard and you can put accessories on the side slots and there's some on the bottom too. It's just the other one has more places to attach things and it's lightweight but it's also $110.00 more. When you're shooting long distance you're going to be bench resting the rifle anyways so being lightweight isn't really a big deal. Save the money and put it towards ammo. :like:

One nice thing about the kits from PSA are all those little parts come pre-packaged in separate small bags. So the trigger,trigger springs and roll pins are in their own bag and the mag release catch parts are in their own so you don't have to guess what goes where. I have one of these small magnetic dishes from Harbor Freight I use that to hold the parts as I open them because the springs and detents are so small. They also give you a couple extra detents because they're notorious for flying across the room. So don't think you forgot something when you end up with a couple extra.

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's good to know about attaching stuff. I probably won't right away, but I can change that at any time, correct? Sights or a scope will probably be the accessory that I will add for a while. I don't like the pistol style foregrip. Shot one with it and it just wasn't comfy.

I was wondering how the parts would arrive. I have several different size magnetic trays. I work on my own bikes so I use them quite a bit. Older Goldwings are notorious for having a bunch of screw/bolts holding all the plastic together. My 2015 uses a lot of locking pins instead of screws in non-critical areas or the trim pieces just snap in place.

Sorry for the off topic ramble......it's 1:30 AM and I still have 4.5 hrs to go.

Thanks for all the good info. Any time you want to throw a nugget of info my way...I will catch it!

We have been discussing on what to do with the daughter's old bedroom......hmmm....I think it might become a gun room. A work table, safe, wall mounted weapons, ammo storage, etc :rockon:

Now to run that by the wife.:fingerscrossed:

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So I got to fooling around on PSA's site with pricing different options. Come to find out if I just order the Rifle Kit separate from the Lower and Mag, the Rifle Kit is no tax and free shipping! Then I would order the Lower as it has to be sent to my FFL anyway. With tax and shipping it was like 60. I would just borrow a mag from my SIL, he has several.

It is a good bit cheaper to order separate.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That's good to know about attaching stuff. I probably won't right away, but I can change that at any time, correct? Sights or a scope will probably be the accessory that I will add for a while. I don't like the pistol style foregrip. Shot one with it and it just wasn't comfy.

I was wondering how the parts would arrive. I have several different size magnetic trays. I work on my own bikes so I use them quite a bit. Older Goldwings are notorious for having a bunch of screw/bolts holding all the plastic together. My 2015 uses a lot of locking pins instead of screws in non-critical areas or the trim pieces just snap in place.

Sorry for the off topic ramble......it's 1:30 AM and I still have 4.5 hrs to go.

Thanks for all the good info. Any time you want to throw a nugget of info my way...I will catch it!

We have been discussing on what to do with the daughter's old bedroom......hmmm....I think it might become a gun room. A work table, safe, wall mounted weapons, ammo storage, etc :rockon:

Now to run that by the wife.:fingerscrossed:
You can change out the hand guards later but there is some work to it. The one you linked has the front sight on a post which would need to be removed to add a M-Lok free floating hand guard. It's not difficult (I've never done it) but just something to keep in mind plus you have to buy the M-Lok hand guard. Now you have to weigh is it worth the extra $110.00 to buy the one I linked now and save the time of doing it plus the cost of the hand guard.

Spoiler....it's better and cheaper to buy it all done. ;)

https://gundigest.com/more/how-to/gunsmithing/installing-free-floated-handguard-ar-15

I figured you probably have all/most of the tools since you work on your bikes. I forgot one tool, you'll need an Armors wrench for tightening the castle nut on the buffer tube. I have one similar to the one below. You do have to torque the castle nut using the Armors wrench, using the square notch on the side of the wrench to attach the torque wrench. I do not stake my castle nut and have never had one come lose,I just check it periodically.

Setting up your daughters old room would be sweet! I have limited space here (no basements) and the garage is usually to damn hot to work in so I have to lay everything out on the breakfast bar or kitchen table when I build one. Cleaning is even worse because that has to be done outside and when it's 110+ is not fun.

https://www.amazon.com/Multi-functi...=1590671939&sprefix=armors+wr,aps,203&sr=8-10

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee