First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Looks like GM isn't giving up on ICE vehicles anytime soon with this 1 Billion investment. They want to strengthen its industry-leading full size trucks and SUV's which might be what we've known all along. EV's just can't tow or travel long distances in these types of vehicles and the technology for them to won't be around for a while. It also means the Vette won't be going full EV anytime son either.

https://jalopnik.com/gm-is-investing-almost-1-billion-in-new-v8-engines-1850013640

GM announced on Friday that it would be spending $854 million to make its sixth-generation small block V8, and $64 million to help its EV efforts, in news that sounds like it belongs in a different year but isn’t. The news also confirms that a sixth-generation small block V8 is happening, which GM says it intends to use to “strengthen its industry-leading full-size truck and SUV business.”

The fifth-generation V8 is currently used in a variety of cars, trucks, and SUVs in a variety of configurations, from the base C8 Corvettes to some versions of the Sierra. News that there will be a sixth-gen comes as only a small surprise, as GM expects to still be selling a lot of gas trucks and SUVs for years to come, likely in part because towing range in electric vehicles still sucks.
Sponsored

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Looks like GM isn't giving up on ICE vehicles anytime soon with this 1 Billion investment. They want to strengthen its industry-leading full size trucks and SUV's which might be what we've known all along. EV's just can't tow or travel long distances in these types of vehicles and the technology for them to won't be around for a while. It also means the Vette won't be going full EV anytime son either.

https://jalopnik.com/gm-is-investing-almost-1-billion-in-new-v8-engines-1850013640
At least somebody gets it. I don't see this as an all or none solution. ICE and ev both have their place. Why can't we all just get along??

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
At least somebody gets it. I don't see this as an all or none solution. ICE and ev both have their place. Why can't we all just get along??
Exactly! I think they (GM) see the need for ICE to continue on for many more years. This isn't a small investment and why else would they invest 1 B knowing there's many out there "pushing" the death of them?

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Exactly! I think they (GM) see the need for ICE to continue on for many more years. This isn't a small investment and why else would they invest 1 B knowing there's many out there "pushing" the death of them?
I don't know that I would say many. They are just louder than normal people.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I don't know that I would say many. They are just louder than normal people.
When I say many I mean the same loudmouths that have started this "push". You really can't look at your homepage or watch the news and not see several EV articles now. Even Annie has asked me about them because she's been seeing it more and more now.

Don't get me wrong I think there's a place for them but I'm just glad to see such a huge investment from GM (wish it was Ford) doing this. It might turn out to be a very smart move on their part seeing as the others are going more towards EV's. They could be the one with a truck capable of towing longer distances while the others are heavily invested in EV.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
When I say many I mean the same loudmouths that have started this "push". You really can't look at your homepage or watch the news and not see several EV articles now. Even Annie has asked me about them because she's been seeing it more and more now.

Don't get me wrong I think there's a place for them but I'm just glad to see such a huge investment from GM (wish it was Ford) doing this. It might turn out to be a very smart move on their part seeing as the others are going more towards EV's. They could be the one with a truck capable of towing longer distances while the others are heavily invested in EV.
Loudmouth is right!!!!!!!!!!

troutspinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Happy to see a manufacturer use reality in their future developments. We’ve all been convinced, with questionable proof, that we must be green and while we all kill the planet typing on the internet ;), when you need to get a job done, you need the right equipment.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR

GM makes a ton of money on crate engines as well!

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Yeah, I don't know why people get their panties in a knot over the idea of a 20+ year transition away from ICEs and keep screaming about how the world can't go 100% EV today so why do anything at all. ?‍♂

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
gm insider trading much lol. tin foil hat time. gm knows that the ev crap is gonna be flop or at best marginally successful (as does the govt) so they are doing a smith and wesson...
made a deal with the devil to have products ready when things go off.

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
After attending the Tampa RV show I saw one GM (diesel) powered RV on display.

Most all the gas motors were Ford 7.3s or ecoboost 3.5s. I suspect there is a lot of areas GM wants to get back into.

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Looks like the truth is finally comming out. Electric is costing more to drive now and a big pain in the butt for those relying on charging stations https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy...uel-gas-powered-cars-end-2022-consulting-firm
I read that earlier. lol It's always going to change when the price of each goes up or down. One time it'll be cheaper to charge an EV (when gas was $5.00) then gas prices came down so now gas will be cheaper. But the price of electric never seems to go down where gas prices fluctuate throughout the year.

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
I read that earlier. lol It's always going to change when the price of each goes up or down. One time it'll be cheaper to charge an EV (when gas was $5.00) then gas prices came down so now gas will be cheaper. But the price of electric never seems to go down where gas prices fluctuate throughout the year.
Once they get the system up to add highway mileage taxes to EV's based on actual miles driven its going to cost even more. I read EV's will automatically upload the miles to the IRS and add the fees to your income taxes someday in the future. It's going to get interesting if charging stations aren't added soon.
Sponsored