First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger
Bought truck in March 2020,
20 Ranger Lariat Supercrew with all the options
Fx4, sport, 4x4 etc., specifically too tow our 20' dual axle trailer. About 4400lbs loaded.
Spent last couple months detailing out truck
Bed cover, swing out boxes, bed carpet, nerf bars, dealer approved and installed Tbc (Redarc) plus many others.
Did a test tow of about 20 miles to make sure everything good.
Nice, no problem with power, alittle soft in the back but not bad, tounge at about 500 with hitch and load leveling bars.
Everything seemed to be fine except blind spot warning seemed to only work when a passing car was in the regular position to activate warning. Set the trailer length at 24 ft. Maybe because trailer is 8' wide and sensor was not able to pick up passing vehicle. Not really worried about it, my other tow vehicle does not have it and it worked out fine.
Will have to do some additional padding on rear seats to level things out for pooch. Has that hump in center and if I was laying back there it would be uncomfortable. Gotta make the dog comfortable.
Leaving for the Grand Tetons Tues ( from Sacramento) for two weeks.
A few questions before we leave
-tow haul mode on, trailer length set
-first oil change at 950 miles and rear dif oil changed, for my peace of mind.
So should be using 93 gas when towing
-What tire pressure should I use. Has stock Hankook tires on 17" rims. Dealer set at 35 psi
-have sway control bar with wdh and used it when pulling with my other vehicle. Do i need to used it with this vehicle since it has sway control already
-any other suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks
Rob
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Sounds like you covered all bases. I’m towing about 6k lbs. I am running the rear tires at 36psi, and the tongue weight about 660#. It wasn’t nearly as bumpy as my prior trailer with lighter tongue weight.
I figure premium can’t hurt especially at higher altitudes, but I’ve been towing with 87 and had no trouble at all.
DFEFCC00-228F-47E0-99EA-0E5450CBA24B.jpeg

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Only addition to what was said above is I would definitely use the sway control bar. The sway control built into the truck only activates once the trailer starts swaying. The bar will act to prevent sway from starting. I would also run the higher octane for more power towing

Have an enjoyable safe trip! I've been to the Tetons they are beautiful. Post some pictures with your ranger when you get back.
Sponsored