First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
retired
This is my first Ranger... 2019 Lariat Sport. Put 33" wheels and leveling kit, tonneau cover, running boards, window tint. My question is this...should I get a matching spare to go with the 33's?...if so, will it fit where the spare is currently? I've done some measuring but with the hitch it might be a little tight. Any of you guys that put 33's on have any advice? Thanks!
Sorry about the horrible picture, but It's the best one I have at the moment.
Ranger.jpg
Sponsored

Peter949

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Nice truck. Same as mine minus the level and 33s.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
In regard to the spare.. the wheel size doesn't matter at all. Your spare tire needs to be the same outside diameter as your tires. What tire size are you running?

OP
OP
royce475

royce475

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
retired
In regard to the spare.. the wheel size doesn't matter at all. Your spare tire needs to be the same outside diameter as your tires. What tire size are you running?
33's

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
This is my first Ranger... 2019 Lariat Sport. Put 33" wheels and leveling kit, tonneau cover, running boards, window tint. My question is this...should I get a matching spare to go with the 33's?...if so, will it fit where the spare is currently? I've done some measuring but with the hitch it might be a little tight. Any of you guys that put 33's on have any advice? Thanks!
Ranger.jpg
What kind of leveling kit? What manufacturer? I'm new to Ford Ranger as well. I had a XLT with FX4 and looking into leveling the front. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
royce475

royce475

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
retired
What kind of leveling kit? What manufacturer? I'm new to Ford Ranger as well. I had a XLT with FX4 and looking into leveling the front. Thanks in advance.
I had it done at the dealership where I bought it so it's a Ford Performance leveling kit.

Charley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCrew XLT FX4 Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
To answer the OP question, YES your spare tire needs to match the diameter of your other 4 tires - and there are two basic ways to do that.
1. Exact same wheel and tire as the other 4.
2. A wheel and tire combo that is equal to the diameter of the other four. In your case 33".

example, my XLT with the Black appearance package came with 18" wheels and tires. The spare wheel and tire was 17".

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ranger.jpg
Hi Kent,

You can use dissimilar size spare and be okay for a short while and at slow speed if installed on the rear wheels as the differential will be differentiating and heating up. Stay under 45 mph. To resolve this you can follow what used to be in the owners manual for Ranger with the mini spare. Sort of a stupid process, in my mind and if you have a rear flat, put a front tire on the rear and install the mini spare on the front so the rear axle is not differentiating. A timing consuming process to change the front wheel and then change the flat rear tire...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
royce475

royce475

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
retired
Hi Kent,

You can use dissimilar size spare and be okay for a short while and at slow speed if installed on the rear wheels as the differential will be differentiating and heating up. Stay under 45 mph. To resolve this you can follow what used to be in the owners manual for Ranger with the mini spare. Sort of a stupid process, in my mind and if you have a rear flat, put a front tire on the rear and install the mini spare on the front so the rear axle is not differentiating. A timing consuming process to change the front wheel and then change the flat rear tire...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks for the info Phil.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Kent,

Phil, a thought: if I'm correct in remembering that these trucks don't have unlocking front hubs, your method just moves the problem from the rear to the probably-weaker front. (4x4 only of course)

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
The front axle doesn’t lock.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil, a thought: if I'm correct in remembering that these trucks don't have unlocking front hubs, your method just moves the problem from the rear to the probably-weaker front. (4x4 only of course)
Hi Daniel,

The front hubs are automatic locking hubs...Ford has used these for most 4x4 applications since the middle 1980's. So with a dissimilar spare, jack up a front wheel and change to the dissimilar spare wheel. Then take the removed tire to the rear and change out the flat tire.

When still at Ford, there was an investigation to just delete the spare all together... Not necessary as there are just not a lot of flats anymore thanks to radials with steel belts. Fortunately this never when beyond the study and never made production on any truck as I recall.

A bit of a back story. You should have seen what I call the extreme absurdity. Someone mounted 4 mini spares on a Ranger and took it to the handling track to see how the Ranger handled. Vehicle looked like a rollerskate. Surprising was it really did okay. In the days of the dissimilar spare, which continues today, the Vehicle Dynamics engineers had to evaluate the dissimilar spare at each corner of the truck, laden and curb weight. So when you see a dissimilar spare tire in your vehicle, you can be assured that this tire combination was tested and passed the stringent vehicle dynamic requirements. We do not just blindly throw a dissimilar spare in the vehicle and start production. It is tested thoroughly.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer