First road trip. Very happy.

SilverXLT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT , CC 2WD
27.5 MPG, hand figured , 70-75 mph all highway driving, for a 321 mile stretch between fuel ups.
450 lbs in the back. 2 adults.
Back flip hard tonneau cover.
Really liking the engine transmission combo.
You hardly feel it down shift and the engine is never revving fast while kicking down on cruise control.
Going up a long steep hill , 2,100 rpm at 72 mph .
Most highway cruising speed rpm is below 2k .
Sponsored

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Awesome, that is great MPG. Its a good runner for road trips. I have noticed the MPG (electronic calculation) is always pretty decent for road trips usually 23-24mpg on the 4x4 variant, even with going through some mountainous roads.

SugarWolf

First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Tower Hand
Awesome truck for road trips!! I took my Ranger (oh yeah, my girlfriend and dogs came along too) on a good one in the beginning of the year. ?

I started from home in Las Cruces, New Mexico and drove west to San Simeon, California. Stayed the night and proceeded to drive north on Hwy 1. Had an issue on the second day.. The rear brake line split and leaked all of the fluid out.. ??‍♂ Got towed and tayed in the Monterey Bay area for a couple days while Ford fixed it. Got back on the road and then drove to the Redwood Forest on the coast. Very cool!! Drove to Portland and stayed there for a few days and then proceeded to Seattle. On the way home from there, Washington state had a good snowstorm come through, so not only did I take my little truck all over the west coast, but I got to see how it does in snow and ice as from Seattle to Utah was nothing but ice and snow. The truck did amazing as expected!!

Got to see alot of great things and check out some awesome breweries along the way. Definitely reccomend this truck for a trip like that!!

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Awesome truck for road trips!! I took my Ranger (oh yeah, my girlfriend and dogs came along too) on a good one in the beginning of the year. ?

I started from home in Las Cruces, New Mexico and drove west to San Simeon, California. Stayed the night and proceeded to drive north on Hwy 1. Had an issue on the second day.. The rear brake line split and leaked all of the fluid out.. ??‍♂ Got towed and tayed in the Monterey Bay area for a couple days while Ford fixed it. Got back on the road and then drove to the Redwood Forest on the coast. Very cool!! Drove to Portland and stayed there for a few days and then proceeded to Seattle. On the way home from there, Washington state had a good snowstorm come through, so not only did I take my little truck all over the west coast, but I got to see how it does in snow and ice as from Seattle to Utah was nothing but ice and snow. The truck did amazing as expected!!

Got to see alot of great things and check out some awesome breweries along the way. Definitely reccomend this truck for a trip like that!!
Sounds like a great trip. Some epic beers and beauty on the west coast.

Dhass68

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Brake and Suspension mechanic

any idea how the brake line split?

SugarWolf

First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Tower Hand
any idea how the brake line split?
Ford told me it was bad from the factory or damaged during install apparently. It literally happened first thing in the morning out of nowhere. No problems leading up to that, or since. A++++ service on Ford's part. They had the last one left in MI sent out asap and replaced it in a day.

I'm glad they took care of me and it happened where it did. I was "stranded" on HWY 1, waiting for a tow truck in a beautiful place with my favorite person in the world. Everything worked out just fine.

Deleted member 1634

How far from empty were you during fill ups?
Could figure that out from the hand calc mileage and distance he gave. Would've been 495 miles on the complete tank at that mileage, so then 174 miles to empty based on how far he drove. Theoretically of course. Who knows what the truck would've given though.

Deleted member 1634

I did a similar trip (without the going inland to New Mexico part) just the opposite way a couple years ago. Flew into Portland and drove down the coast to SFO. But it was in a ecobox Yaris so not quite as fun. But cheap. Definitely a trip that's on my list to do many times over. Hopefully one of those times is with the Ranger and our teardrop camper. Only problem is that it's essentially 3 days to get to the start point from here in Northern Minnesota, so it'd have to be quite the lengthy trip to make it work.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Emissions testing supplier
Could figure that out from the hand calc mileage and distance he gave. Would've been 495 miles on the complete tank at that mileage, so then 174 miles to empty based on how far he drove. Theoretically of course. Who knows what the truck would've given though.
Thats why I asked. Those calcs would mean he was filling up with 1/3 of a tank left. Those mpg’s are higher than the truck is rated for at 55mph. This truck cant get almost 500 miles per tank. My F-150 with a 36 gallon tank can only get 600.

Deleted member 1634

Thats why I asked. Those calcs would mean he was filling up with 1/3 of a tank left. Those mpg’s are higher than the truck is rated for at 55mph. This truck cant get almost 500 miles per tank. My F-150 with a 36 gallon tank can only get 600.
I'm fairly confident this truck can get 500 miles on a tank, if you try. It won't be a regular occurrence, but definitely isn't impossible. There are a couple guys on here who have already done it. I can regularly get above the rated mileage values on trips as well, and always have with every vehicle I've owned. With numbers like that I believe that he was only at 1/3 tank left, from experience. I took mine down pretty low one trip, and probably would've just made it to 500 miles if there was a gas station in the area where that would've happened. Hand calcs confirm these numbers too. My next goal is to actually reach 500 miles on a tank. We'll see if I ever get a chance for that perfect type of trip again though.

IMG_20190802_163148674.jpg

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Emissions testing supplier
I'm fairly confident this truck can get 500 miles on a tank, if you try. It won't be a regular occurrence, but definitely isn't impossible. There are a couple guys on here who have already done it. I can regularly get above the rated mileage values on trips as well, and always have with every vehicle I've owned. With numbers like that I believe that he was only at 1/3 tank left, from experience. I took mine down pretty low one trip, and probably would've just made it to 500 miles if there was a gas station in the area where that would've happened. Hand calcs confirm these numbers too. My next goal is to actually reach 500 miles on a tank. We'll see if I ever get a chance for that perfect type of trip again though.

IMG_20190802_163148674.jpg
Thats pretty remarkable, especially 20mph over the rated speed. Before level and tires, I hit 326 miles with 5 miles left to empty on a highway run. I dont know what kind of tailwind you guys are getting but send some my way.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Ford told me it was bad from the factory or damaged during install apparently. It literally happened first thing in the morning out of nowhere. No problems leading up to that, or since. A++++ service on Ford's part. They had the last one left in MI sent out asap and replaced it in a day.

I'm glad they took care of me and it happened where it did. I was "stranded" on HWY 1, waiting for a tow truck in a beautiful place with my favorite person in the world. Everything worked out just fine.
I am feeling the need to check my brake lines suddenly

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
I am also very happy with this truck on long trips. We took the truck (SCrew FX4) from home about 900 miles one way up to visit the inlaws and back right when I got it. Fantastic drive and ride. I test drove the other midsize choices and the Ranger is by FAR the most comfortable (only the Ridgeline came close for me). Also hand calculated 25.5 mpg for the trip (avg 75mph), and that is AWESOME as our '14 CRV gets 29.5 mpg for the same trip.
Sponsored