Factory replacement component's?

Iconic22

First Name
Lonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger Lariat 4x4
I'm thinking about replacing the front door components in my 22 lariat non-b&o system, I dont want to amp them just want something to sound a littler clearer, im adding a 12" sub and kicker key 500.1 for bass so don't need anything high wattage. Would like to use something that will fit in the factory locations, especially the tweeters.
Has anyone done this yet? Any recommendations? Thanks
Sponsored

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I am In the process today of sound deadening all my doors and back of the cab and swapping all speakers except for the sub, I have plenty of bass with oem sub.

I am attaching a screenshot of my order page off Crutchfield. The only drawback is the Kicker coax center channel speakers are only sold in pairs so I plan to sell the extra along with the oem B&O speakers.

I think we have an amp for the stereo under the console, still researching. If so and if it's under 25 watts per channel X4 then I will swap it for an Alpine ktp 445-u. I added one to my oem base f150 stereo when I upgraded those speakers and it helped a lot.

Screenshot_20220507-214934_Gmail.jpg

troutspinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I am In the process today of sound deadening all my doors and back of the cab and swapping all speakers except for the sub, I have plenty of bass with oem sub.

I am attaching a screenshot of my order page off Crutchfield. The only drawback is the Kicker coax center channel speakers are only sold in pairs so I plan to sell the extra along with the oem B&O speakers.

I think we have an amp for the stereo under the console, still researching. If so and if it's under 25 watts per channel X4 then I will swap it for an Alpine ktp 445-u. I added one to my oem base f150 stereo when I upgraded those speakers and it helped a lot.

Screenshot_20220507-214934_Gmail.jpg
Good looking cart there. I am on the verge of doing something similar on my non-B&O 8” but with an Amp/DSP. I still need to figure out the sub but all in due time.

5.0 Junkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 XLT FX4
I'm likely getting the Powerbass for Fords. Plug and play. They aren't super high end, but are way better than factory and bolt/plug right in. Get the speaker rings for them and put some Fatmat or other treatment on the inside of the door, especially behind the speaker. It will make a world of difference.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Good looking cart there. I am on the verge of doing something similar on my non-B&O 8” but with an Amp/DSP. I still need to figure out the sub but all in due time.
Well all we can say is we love the new sound! Took a road trip to Purdue for my stepson's graduation Saturday, a 90 minute or so ride both ways. The new speakers and sound deadening worked flawlessly. I put a double layer (inner and outer skins) on all 4 doors plus added an approximately 4x6x 2" semi rigid foam stuck right behind each door speaker. I would've used egg crate foam but wasn't about to buy a large quantity for my needs. I had this stuff on hand as leftover from a prior project (I stuck it to the garage door around a hinge that was going to hit my wife's liftgate on her new ride.) I set the fader to a spot near the seatbelt (front seats) and adjusted the bass, midrange and treble to the settings in the attached picture. We also DEFINITELY liked the sound quality better with the truck set on surround VS stereo, leaving all other settings the same and switched back and forth. Surround setting really made that dash coax Kicker speaker shine.

I suffer from severe tinnitus from too many years with a 100 watt siren over my head. The B&O speakers are nice sounding but I needed speakers with more range and clearer crisp sound so I went with the Focals in the doors and the kicker 2 way in the dash.

I put a double layer of sound deadener on the entire back of the cab (removed entire back seat and belts then reinstalled) I ended up buying longer push in plastic pins to hold the carpet panel on, the extra thickness coupled with the oem pins wouldn't hold secure, pulling them out damaged the sweet spots. I also put a single layer of deadener on the rear floor plus under both storage areas and the safe bottom. I did not apply it to the floorboards/floor mat area.

I put a small piece of dynamat on the back of both door/pillar tweeters as an experiment and like the results. I also covered the front and back of the b&o sub box. Since no one currently makes a drop in replacement sub I stayed with oem as it has a decent sized magnet. Coupled with all the sound deadener and it sounds and feels much better.
I still have the speaker boxes if anyone wants to see them.

Had I known that Amazon sold there own brand of sound deadening I would've bought there's and spent the extra cash on other things/ speakers? It was less than one third of the cost of Dynamat extreme and barely thinner and it has a grid pattern on the face that makes it super easy to cut straight lines quickly. So half the job was all the dynamat extreme and the other half is the Amazon basics. Same square footage box, I ended up having
1- 3/4 sheets leftover.

20220515_210129.jpg

20220515_210144.jpg

20220515_210155.jpg

Last edited:

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I added a double layer of the amazon stuff and I think it helped. I need some longer push pins to do the back of the cab.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I added a double layer of the amazon stuff and I think it helped. I need some longer push pins to do the back of the cab.
I went to a local Carquest and matched them up from a loose bin they have on hand. 7 of them was less than $3 (bought extras)

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I went to a local Carquest and matched them up from a loose bin they have on hand. 7 of them was less than $3 (bought extras)
Awesome. I am also interested in those powerbass speakers listed above by @5.0 Junkie

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Info only, this carquest is a full service auto parts store that sells to body shops etc, they don't sell the over priced prepackaged trim pins like Advance or Autozone, they have pull out drawers with labels and pictures etc. Same place that matched my paints.

foxunderhill

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4
Occupation
Soldier
If you've got a bit left over like me, I unscrewed the plate on the inside surface of the tailgate and distributed it inside there. Helped with the hollow sound.
Sponsored