Factory Fogs as trigger

Byngsboys

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lightening Blue Ranger XLT, 302A, FX4, Tow and Technology/ 2005 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Educator
Vehicle Showcase
Good evening all:

I don't know if this has been covered and if it has I apologize and trust you will redirect me.

I currently have factory fog lights on my FX4 XLT 302A. I have added a set of bumper mounted fogs and Auxbeam Amber/White cubes near the A-pillar to act as ditch lights controlled through an Auxbeam 6 Gang.

The plan is to use a H11 splitter on the driver's side factory fog light. The second positive wire will act as a trigger for two relays. One to control the lower fogs and the other one to alternate between the white (87a) and amber (87) ditch lights. When they are turn on inside the cab the amber would be on with the fog lights and the white with the highbeams. I have attached the proposed wiring diagram.

Does that all seem reasonable and work able?

Thanks to the experts out there.
Kris
Fog Triggers.jpg
Sponsored

Reactions: FoD

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Good evening all:

I don't know if this has been covered and if it has I apologize and trust you will redirect me.

I currently have factory fog lights on my FX4 XLT 302A. I have added a set of bumper mounted fogs and Auxbeam Amber/White cubes near the A-pillar to act as ditch lights controlled through an Auxbeam 6 Gang.

The plan is to use a H11 splitter on the driver's side factory fog light. The second positive wire will act as a trigger for two relays. One to control the lower fogs and the other one to alternate between the white (87a) and amber (87) ditch lights. When they are turn on inside the cab the amber would be on with the fog lights and the white with the highbeams. I have attached the proposed wiring diagram.

Does that all seem reasonable and work able?

Thanks to the experts out there.
Kris
Fog Triggers.jpg
One member who would know is Sid (@Msfitoy ) and if he's available he will post up ... Resident Area51 Light'em up!!??

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
You want to run amber ditch lights at all times the fog light switch is on?

Seems odd, what's the point of that?

Your theoretical plan seems legit though.

OP
OP
Byngsboys

Byngsboys

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lightening Blue Ranger XLT, 302A, FX4, Tow and Technology/ 2005 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Educator
Vehicle Showcase
You want to run amber ditch lights at all times the fog light switch is on?

Seems odd, what's the point of that?

Your theoretical plan seems legit though.
Good evening:
Thanks for the input. The ditch lights would be on their own independent switch. So if the Auxbeam ditch lights were on, then they would be lite fogs during on low beams and whites on high beams. The other options would be a third relay. I have room on my switch gang to dedicate a switch just to the ditch fogs. A can easily go to three relays. So basically, they could all be controlled independently from the cab, but triggered by the changing high beam/low beam state.
Does that make sense?
Thanks,
Kris

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Good evening:
Thanks for the input. The ditch lights would be on their own independent switch. So if the Auxbeam ditch lights were on, then they would be lite fogs during on low beams and whites on high beams. The other options would be a third relay. I have room on my switch gang to dedicate a switch just to the ditch fogs. A can easily go to three relays. So basically, they could all be controlled independently from the cab, but triggered by the changing high beam/low beam state.
Does that make sense?
Thanks,
Kris
Gotcha.

I'm unfamiliar with the white/amber combo cubes and the way in which they are wired.

Personally, seems overly complicated and restrictive. What if you want white light without your highbeams on? Or amber without the fogs on?

I'd go independent of the triggers if it were me. I can understand a reverse trigger for back up lights, or a high beam trigger for "all on," but beyond that it's seems you hit a point of diminishing returns.

OP
OP
Byngsboys

Byngsboys

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Educator
Vehicle Showcase
Gotcha.

I'm unfamiliar with the white/amber combo cubes and the way in which they are wired.

Personally, seems overly complicated and restrictive. What if you want white light without your highbeams on? Or amber without the fogs on?

I'd go independent of the triggers if it were me. I can understand a reverse trigger for back up lights, or a high beam trigger for "all on," but beyond that it's seems you hit a point of diminishing returns.
Lol--begin overly complicated seems to be one of my specialties!
Kris

OP
OP
Byngsboys

Byngsboys

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Educator
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks to all who pitched in! All of it works...high beams and lows!
Final Outcome.jpg
Final Outcome white.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: