Last edited:

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
so how many meetings have you attended where you've sat down with a land manager or staff of a land management agency and had to talk out objections to opening a trail to bikes, or building a new trail that would permit bikes in a place where no bikes were previously permitted? I'll wait.
Our family owns a significant amount of land in northern Wisconsin that has a dirt bike loop on it. I don't consider myself a "land manager", though I did talk to our one neighbor about it. And I wouldn't call it "attending meetings", I call it joining us for a beer around the campfire and his boy can rip around our little track with his minibike any time he wants.

I think the problem with the world right now is that everyone is such an uptight jerk. Nobody wants to be accepting of anything. Everyone hates the bikers, the bikers hate everyone. Everyone wants to make rules to control and push away the other side. I see it everywhere because really, I'm on both sides. I've logged all my biking miles - 25,000. Probably 75% road and 25% mtn bike) I've done a lot of pretty good bike races, both mtn bike and road bike. But then I've done a lot of motorsport races too.

Now, I'm old, my knees are shot, and due to some other medical issues I've had to retire from pretty much all forms of racing, both pedal and motorsport. Thus I've been looking at e-bikes to help me out and be easier to handle in my old age. (sold my CRF450R - that thing was gonna kill me) But in my search for which e-bike to buy, the first thing I've noticed it how everyone hates them. That guy on the e-bike that was a jerk to Phil in this thread - he's probably had enough of people being a jerk to him and he became one himself. It's all horrible how people are.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Our family owns a significant amount of land in northern Wisconsin that has a dirt bike loop on it. I don't consider myself a "land manager", though I did talk to our one neighbor about it. And I wouldn't call it "attending meetings", I call it joining us for a beer around the campfire and his boy can rip around our little track with his minibike any time he wants.

I think the problem with the world right now is that everyone is such an uptight jerk. Nobody wants to be accepting of anything. Everyone hates the bikers, the bikers hate everyone. Everyone wants to make rules to control and push away the other side. I see it everywhere because really, I'm on both sides. I've logged all my biking miles - 25,000. Probably 75% road and 25% mtn bike) I've done a lot of pretty good bike races, both mtn bike and road bike. But then I've done a lot of motorsport races too.
ok, so I get it. you don't really have a clue how public land managers are required by law to operate and how that law varies depending on the level of government that they answer to.

your racing background is about as relevant to this as telling ppl you slept in a Holiday Inn.

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer

Now, I'm old, my knees are shot, and due to some other medical issues I've had to retire from pretty much all forms of racing, both pedal and motorsport. Thus I've been looking at e-bikes to help me out and be easier to handle in my old age. (sold my CRF450R - that thing was gonna kill me) But in my search for which e-bike to buy, the first thing I've noticed it how everyone hates them. That guy on the e-bike that was a jerk to Phil in this thread - he's probably had enough of people being a jerk to him and he became one himself. It's all horrible how people are.
I ride my ebike on paved city bike paths and get all kinds of nasty comments from the overly tight pants crowd. There is a great deal of envy. They think they are in great shape and can block both lanes riding side by side. They have move when I need to pass (to tandem like they are supposed to ride) and they get angry.

ThatsAMonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger Lariat 4x4, Triumph Bonneville T120
I have a Gazelle ultimate T10+ HMB ebike which has an integrated battery which pops out from the frame. I can charge the battery while it is still attached to the bike or I can remove the battery and charge it wherever there is a 110v outlet. I bought the ebike last year and mainly ride it along paved roads or along the bike path. It's a pedal assist, which is great for commuting and needing that extra boost riding up hills out here in the valley. As long as you're not speeding by a pedestrian on the bike path or endangering yourself/others most people don't care. Plus we have rentable bikes that have pedal assist all over the place. Massachusetts is supposedly still working on laws regarding ebikes and categorizes them as class 1, class 2 and class 3.

For reference: Mass ebikes
1280_UNhEFix2diT1.png

I see a lot of electric scooters and skateboards on campus where I work and the protocol here is that they're not allowed indoors. Even in a lobby to charge or keep out of weather. I haven't heard or seen any reports of a fire (yet) but common sense with any battery is you want to charge it where there's plenty of ventilation and/or outside away from a structure to prevent fire.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
The "E-bike" I'm looking at is a Sur Ron X. It is relatively high performance (45 mph top speed), It straddles a line between bike and motorcycle (no pedals) and is not road legal or bike trail legal anywhere - especially with the pedal nazis patrolling. You basically treat it like a skinny light weight and quiet dirt bike.

About $5K.
1678473911530.png

While this bike is very well made with good suspension components and a beautiful cast aluminum frame and swingarm, I'm sure at only $5K for this it still qualifies as cheap Chinese junk. If this were made in the USA it would be a $15K bike. As such when I charge, it will be in my garage, which is dry with a tall ceiling, and I'll put it in the middle well away from everything else including vehicles and walls.

I'm a gas engine lover through and through. I'm not about to turn to e-bikes because of some climate agenda or political statement. I've rode one of these things. The fun is off the freaking charts. Highly recommend even for experienced dirt bike riders. If I get a few years out of it before it inevitably breaks or explodes, I will consider it a great purchase.
I had to zoom in and get a better look at that thing as soon as I saw the bicycle chain! You know, it’s not much different than some DH mountain bikes…

26FA6405-97E2-470A-9E05-F623849F311A.jpeg

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
not that hard... if it has a motor, it's motorized. should be treated as such. same as a moped you need a government tax card (driver's license) to use it anywhere motorized vehicles are allowed

edit: might need to get me this and grandpa the crap out of it
https://massimoelectric.com/golf-carts/mgc-etrike/
But that's not the case in most states that I'm aware off. Motorcycles/Scooters below 50cc do not require a license.

I don't ride bicycles, so I don't have a dog in this fight.

As an outside observer, I think this whole thing is blown out of proportion. Nobody cares and frankly our local politicians have bigger fish to fry.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
But that's not the case in most states that I'm aware off. Motorcycles/Scooters below 50cc do not require a license.

As an outside observer, I think this whole thing is blown out of proportion. Nobody cares and frankly our local politicians have bigger fish to fry.
Agreed

053F9AED-7958-401F-9095-A724FEB066D4.gif

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired

they can't handle what they have on their plates? that's what I just took that as

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
they can't handle what they have on their plates? that's what I just took that as
What I meant was that it really doesn't matter to the vast majority of people at all. It's a small subset of folks that ride E-bikes and bicycles.

Also, folks that ride bicycles have NO BUSINESS telling anybody about the law. They don't follow the rules of the road EVER.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I ride my ebike on paved city bike paths and get all kinds of nasty comments from the overly tight pants crowd. There is a great deal of envy. They think they are in great shape and can block both lanes riding side by side. They have move when I need to pass (to tandem like they are supposed to ride) and they get angry.
so, how are you asking to pass? you're doing that, right?