Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT, 2005 Ford Focus
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Hi all,

Last weekend, I took my truck up Red Elephant Hill trail in Colorado with some friends, and a friend made an observation.
When shifting from Park to Drive while on any sort of slope or anything, the drivetrain makes a good amount of noise. I'm in 4LO when this takes place. Obviously foot hard down on the brake. Did NOT use the e-brake.

From previous experience it just sounds like slop in the whole drivetrain, which is normal to some degree... the lash in the differentials and such.

Does anyone else have any experience with this? I'm trying to figure out if my noises are normal or excessive.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll have to try and get a video soon to capture the noise and inform you all better.

Thanks!

Nathan
Sponsored

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Have friend lay beside truck (do not run over friend ) while you shift and see if he can at least pinpoint the area of the noise ...

OP
OP
naydoozie

naydoozie

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT, 2005 Ford Focus
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Thanks @NotBudule, will do. Just trying to figure out if someone has experienced something like this already.

Appreciate the "do not run over friend" ???

UnregistredHypercam2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser VX Limited
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Talking about a clunk when going into gear? I have a clunk as well that is fairly loud but never gotten louder and I've wheeled pretty regularly for the last year of ownership.