Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Solder and heat shrink...
I use heat shrink butt connectors, or butt connectors with heat shrink over them, then wrap in electrical tape just to "seal" it extra from other stressors.

I've heard very bad things about solder in a vehicle due to the stiffness and lack of resilience against vibrations over time. There's a passionate debate across the internet about it, but the general consensus is that it's significantly more difficult to get a proper soldered connection than it is a proper crimped connection.

In any case, my use of electrical tape is not for any kind of actual insulation or direct protection to wires/joints, but only as an added layer on top of a proper butt/heat shrink connection and/or to keep wires together for easier routing.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I use heat shrink butt connectors, or butt connectors with heat shrink over them, then wrap in electrical tape just to "seal" it extra from other stressors.

I've heard very bad things about solder in a vehicle due to the stiffness and lack of resilience against vibrations over time. There's a passionate debate across the internet about it, but the general consensus is that it's significantly more difficult to get a proper soldered connection than it is a proper crimped connection.

In any case, my use of electrical tape is not for any kind of actual insulation or direct protection to wires/joints, but only as an added layer on top of a proper butt/heat shrink connection and/or to keep wires together for easier routing.
Hi Gizmokid,

You are spot on about solder use in vehicle applications. When the solder wicks up the stranded wire, where the solder stops (many times under the wire sheath, you have a stress concentration that can result in the wiring failing under the sheath. Terminal Supply sells butt connectores with shrink wrap with a heat activated glue that is both waterproof and adds structure to the wire sheath.

There is a back story on my tenure managing offroad racing and electrical failures that we eleminated with sound wiring practice which excludes parts store butt connectors, Scotch Loc, and solder. Also sound wiring routing practices and the use of rubber grommets.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
"had an instant electrical fire the second he started his car. He'd spent God knows how much on the engine and paint but went the Western Auto electrical tape route with the wiring "

thats so amazing that after the smoke cleared they were able to identify that the electrical tape caused the fire.
first impressions here were that something was wired dead wrong/backwards/undersized

kids...always remember to have a fire extinguisher handy after you've done some major mods. you never know
Yeah, he saw the wires melt the tape and the whole thing took off as soon as they started touching each other. The smell of that car burning was something only someone who's seen one can understand.