First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I see a lot of wiring mods here on 5G. Far too many use common, vinyl electrical tape. Don't do that! As good as 3M 88 Vinyl tape (et. al.) is, it is not meant to withstand the high interior temperatures often seen in vehicles left out in the out-of-doors.

If you can't find polyolefin, heat-shrink tape (it is sold by Mouser.com), use Rescue Tape instead. Most Ace hardware stores sell it, and you can buy it on-line too (https://www.rescuetape.com). It too is a vinyl, albeit a special one, which self vulcanizes and seals out ALL moisture. Yet, it is easy to remove when necessary. And, it comes in several colors incase you have to color code your wiring.
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

y2krtaf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Damn.....I just skinned all my wiring and wrapped it in electrical tape.

I did use wire nuts though where I had to cut it.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Solder and heat shrink...

OP
OP
Apples

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
What you need to be thinking about is vibration. This is why factory wiring is both wrapped and well secured.
Wire nuts are a big no-no!

When you use heat shrink, use polyolefin, not the stuff from Home Disappointment. If it is a tap (bad thing to do really), use polyolefin tape or Rescue Tape.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Damn.....I just skinned all my wiring and wrapped it in electrical tape.

I did use wire nuts though where I had to cut it.
If you run out of wire nuts and the hardware store is closed...
bad_wiretap.jpg

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
Ford uses vinyl electrical tape all over their vehicles. Usually just to close off looms and tidy up harnesses but, none the less, I've seen it, along with friction tape all over these vehicles. I'm heat shrink fan myself but, both 3m's main sellers 33 and 88 are both rated for temperatures over 200*F

Last edited:
OP
OP
Apples

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I don't mean to burst your bubble, but it isn't "electrical" tape, albeit a vinyl. Most of the covering is a high-temperature cloth tape with a self-vulcanizing adhesive. You can actually buy the stuff from Amazon of all places.

The whole point I was trying to make is simply this. If you're going to modify (add-on, repurpose, or whatever you call it), you want to do it in a way which at least mimics factory wiring. That is NOT hardware electrical tape, nor wire nuts, or even butt splices.

We need to remember, that poor electric connections can generate enough heat to melt adjacent wiring and/or connections, without blowing or tripping a wiring protection device, possibly resulting is an electrical fire—the most expensive repair on a vehicle there is!

It is called thermolysis. If you want to look it up, go here: National Fire Protection Association, sub-section 15-3.2.1.

BGDOGY

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4 crew cab
Look into Tesa Tape, that is what the manufacturers use on a lot of their wiring. It's that black kind of fuzzy stuff. they make different versions for interior wiring and high heat versions for under the hood. Tesa tape should be used along with heat shrink and soldering.

OP
OP
Apples

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I absolutely agree!

However, sometimes, you just have to use connectors. If you do, use Molex or similar. A bit of silicon grease will make them weather resistant, especially is you use the available boots which cover the outsides.

As you may know, one of my personal web sites, deals with operating amateur radio out of a vehicle. I suspect in the 16+ years it has been active, I've seen literally dozens of lousy installations, just waiting for a fire to flair up! My comments about those has always been... If you didn't take the time to do it correctly the first time, how are you going to find time to do it all over?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I had a friend in high school who, circa 1979 ish, bought a '68 Chevelle. Decent car but under the dash the wiring was a nightmare.

He stopped at a 7-11 and while at the counter buying stuff some little kid said "Hey Mister.. your car is on fire"

Saddest thing I ever saw. It was like it was dying. Started as a dash wiring fire. As it burned the wipers came on... headlights came on... horn started blowing.

By the time the fire department got there it was fully engulfed. Luckily no damage to the store... just the Chevelle.

Mustangman02232

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 ranger
Heat shrink weatherproof crimp butt connectors and terminals for me only. I only use electrical tape for wrapping wire loom.
That’s what I use, but still usually wrap the heat sharing connectors for extra protection, then try and wrap everything together and tuck it away nice.

I had to rewire the passenger side of my reefer trailer a while back, at some point In time, someone “fixed” the wiring with just tape, or 10 heat shrink connectors row on the same wire, cut a 5 gallon bucket of wiring connectors and tape out and redid it all with an old extension cord

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I had a friend in high school who, circa 1979 ish, bought a '68 Chevelle. Decent car but under the dash the wiring was a nightmare.

He stopped at a 7-11 and while at the counter buying stuff some little kid said "Hey Mister.. your car is on fire"

Saddest thing I ever saw. It was like it was dying. Started as a dash wiring fire. As it burned the wipers came on... headlights came on... horn started blowing.

By the time the fire department got there it was fully engulfed. Luckily no damage to the store... just the Chevelle.
Been there, done that and also in 1979. A GI on the local AF Base Auto Hobby Shop had an instant electrical fire the second he started his car. He'd spent God knows how much on the engine and paint but went the Western Auto electrical tape route with the wiring. The deceased was a black '72 El Camino with the 454 and polished Centerlines and it literally burned to the ground. One of the saddest things I've ever seen.
Sponsored

Last edited: