Does the bumper need to be removed to install grille guard brackets?

REVIGOR

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Does the entire front bumper need to be removed to install most full-size grille guards from Ranch Hand, Westin, Black Horse?

Specially for the upper brackets. Or can it be done through the opening below the grille?

Pic for example.

Screenshot 2021-09-21 014825.png
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Haven't installed one but I'm guessing that at a minimum you'll need to remove the lower fascia and skidplate, if equipped.

OP
OP
REVIGOR

REVIGOR

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Haven't installed one but I'm guessing that at a minimum you'll need to remove the lower fascia and skidplate, if equipped.
I received a reply from the manufacturer. They said the grille needs to be removed for a proper install.

Well that's nice. Wasn't looking forward to removing the entire bumper this Thursday. Should make things easy.

Jmartin516

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I've talked to Black Horse a few times...very vague in their answers...they said "the support brackets will fit what you need to do is open the hood and remove the balcke plastic that sits in between the hood and the base on the car. Once removed you will be able to see where the screw is to support the support brackets"

but, no...that doesn't help THIS THREAD helps much more! I'm guessing the grill has to come off...

I've already had the top bolts off for the grill...but looks like plastic tabs hold it at the bottom...and I didn't want to just yank them off and break something....

I guess first I need to find a video on removing the grill...

and yes the skid plate has to be removed to access the front tow hook bolts (the lower brackets mount under them)

anyone else actually get the Black Horse one installed? (PS, I've also seen the Westin HDX thread one...they have to seriously modify the hardware to get it to fit!)

Jmartin516

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Finally was able to get the top brackets 'installed'...at least in the position they need to be. Can't reach where it bolts on behind the bumper though. May end up taking it to either a body/collision shop or the dealer to get them installed....After that...I can handle the rest. What a PAIN though!

OP
OP
REVIGOR

REVIGOR

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Finally was able to get the top brackets 'installed'...at least in the position they need to be. Can't reach where it bolts on behind the bumper though. May end up taking it to either a body/collision shop or the dealer to get them installed....After that...I can handle the rest. What a PAIN though!
I was able to slide the top brackets in, from the gap in the bumper. I then reached in up from the ground to reach the bolt and got it installed.

The bottom brackets that go where the tow hooks go, those were simple. I was surprised I didn't have to remove the grille or anything. Your grille guard brackets may be thicker, but worth a try.

Jmartin516

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I was able to slide the top brackets in, from the gap in the bumper. I then reached in up from the ground to reach the bolt and got it installed.

The bottom brackets that go where the tow hooks go, those were simple. I was surprised I didn't have to remove the grille or anything. Your grille guard brackets may be thicker, but worth a try.
Thanks. the bottom ones were pretty easy. According to Black Horse...the grille does have to be removed. But did finally get the top brackets to slide in (more from the corner of the bumper)...but can't see any way of me reaching where they bolt on...I'll update as things change. FYI, mine is a 2021 Ranger...maybe there's a big difference in them...

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
any pics of final install?
Sponsored