Does Ford offer a sunroof in the Ranger?

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
Occupation
Paramedic/Shift Supervisor
I was asking around about a powered moonroof for my 2001 Ranger Supercab XLT 2WD, as my '88 standard cab had a pop up moon roof installed - loved it.

Was told I could have one installed in the Supercab w/o the suicide doors as the major roof/body support was behind the doors and ran from port/starboard.

Not so with the suicide rear doors, as the main support runs right down the middle - bow/stern. Was told it was the same with our trucks.
Sounds like we need T-tops then! ???
Sponsored

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I'm going to call BS on that one. I have seen plenty of tinted vehicles over the years in many places including Arizona(where it gets so hot the Devil Himself wont go there). Never seen a window shatter just because it was tinted. I have seen them shatter if they were fragile and something hit it!!
You can call it BS or call someone a liar all you want . I'd bet that I've seen as many sunroofs that were tinted as you plus a whole lot more .

OP
OP

widetrax

First Name
lester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 ranger lariat tremor... 2022 maverick lariat
Occupation
retired
You can call it BS or call someone a liar all you want . I'd bet that I've seen as many sunroofs that were tinted as you plus a whole lot more .
Well,, personally,,, I've never seen one break or shatter. I had my first one in a '78 Trans-am,, and then for the rest of my autos. I just personally like a sunroof,,,

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Well,, personally,,, I've never seen one break or shatter. I had my first one in a '78 Trans-am,, and then for the rest of my autos. I just personally like a sunroof,,,
The T-tops in all my Trans Ams were crap as were most in any car . I've always went with a sunroof also and have never had one leak except for a couple of factory ones . Factory ones are designed knowing the seal will leak and the drain channels are to keep the water out of the vehicle . It's when the drains get clogged that people really notice . My small shop tinted an average of 3-5 complete vehicles per day over a 20 yr period . I managed 3 shops back in the mid 80's in the Atlanta area before that . I've seen a lot of tint issues . When I started my own business I would never tint the sunroofs as it was known issue within the industry . Sunroof manufactors would not honor the glass breakage warranty if the glass had been tinted .

On another note , I haven't personally seen a new Bronco with a bad engine but I hear they are some out there ,LOL.

I'm not here to argue or see who the best internet expert out there is . Just telling my personal experience .

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
1. Leak waiting to happen. Ask my mom about her last two Cadillacs.
2. Unless it has a shade it will bake your head in the summer. Back in the 70's (I'm old) we put sunroofs in every freakin' thing and learned you had to put on sunscreen to drive your car.
yes, they're nothing but a pain in the butt. you can keep the cover closed and pretend it isn't there (I always do) but then you're giving up headroom for absolutely nothing. I despise manufacturers bundling them with all their high end trims.

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
Completely agree. I've had sunroofs in every vehicle I've owned since 1980. Well, my first 2 were T-Tops ('79 T/A and '86 IROC). I've never had a leak, or any issue with any, and used them all the time. It's the one thing I really miss on the Ranger.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Completely agree. I've had sunroofs in every vehicle I've owned since 1980. Well, my first 2 were T-Tops ('79 T/A and '86 IROC). I've never had a leak, or any issue with any, and used them all the time. It's the one thing I really miss on the Ranger.
The trick with T-tops was to take them out once in a while and they were less likely to leak. A lot of people never took them out and the rubber seals would harden in the compressed position and leak. If you removed them the rubber would expand and remain flexible.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thankfully it is not offered on the ranger. I have seen plenty of failures with the sunroof and moonroofs with the power on them for many manufacturers including Ford Nissan and General Motors. My 93 Pathfinder technically has a sunroof on it and the cover that is normally on it unfortunately is missing. I like the idea how I can open it to allow air in or out but the sun coming in all the time is a bit of a pain in the butt and it has me tempted to put limo tint on it or zero tint on it LOL
Surely someone has a cover/shade for your Pathfinder somewhere....

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I have now decided to get a 2023 Ranger Tremor, and would like to have a sunroof on it. Looking at Ford's literature,, I have not seen one there---do they make them, and offer them for sale??
You could go with a DIY sunroof...
Example on an older Ranger, but you could adapt.....:crackup:

hqdefault.jpg

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
You could go with a DIY sunroof...
Example on an older Ranger, but you could adapt.....:crackup:

hqdefault.jpg
That is scary. I'm sure you recall the only factory built pickup truck convertibles/folding tops are the 1989 Dakota and the current Jeep Gladiator.

Nothing is moving fast at my end in regards to trying to get more info. At some point, Webasto/Hollandia was bought by a German Firm. Just recently, an American firm Champion Auto Systems, bought part of the Hollandia portfolio and is moving production back to America.

Otherwise, it's just disconnected phone numbers, calls and emails that have yet to be returned. Charlotte appears to be down to one local sunroof installer now - visiting them tomorrow in person since they haven't returned my call and email. I'm truly looking forward to having a moonroof installed in my Lariat.

622811-1000-0@2x.jpeg

Ford-Bronco-Convertible-Jeep-Gladiator.jpeg

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Put a chair in the bed. In AZ we dont need no stinkin more sun. But, the Moon is nice.

Last edited:

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Just received an affirmative on the Hollandia 700 installation from RSC Restyling in NJ/PA.

Kmedford

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Videographer
Vehicle Showcase
I have now decided to get a 2023 Ranger Tremor, and would like to have a sunroof on it. Looking at Ford's literature,, I have not seen one there---do they make them, and offer them for sale??
Here’s my ‘22 Lariat Tremor with aftermarket sunroof. $2,200 installed. Looks and feels like a factory option.

D46BA78C-9C5F-4C56-B8F4-DF2B19865585.jpeg

5D073CEC-2935-442B-91BA-255633CD6CD5.jpeg

46B6BB6B-C3B4-4BFD-9A25-F993C726C709.jpeg
Sponsored