DIY Hillbilly Truck Bed Cover (Tonneau) for 2019/20 Ford Ranger.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
This DIY truck bed cover project would never have been attempted if it wasn't for the easy to use and very inexpensive indoor gardening rope ratchets. These ratchets have 150# rating which is more than enough for each 16 pound truck cover panel. Another name for these rope ratchets is rope ratchet light hangers. I got 12 for $22 from Amazon but I only needed 6 for this project.;)
Sponsored

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Warning - protecting the panel(s) bare wood from the outside elements proved to be quite problematic. I am planning to use Woodlife's Creocoat once on each panel side then paint over the surface with a good exterior paint. You need to use an organic respirator when using the Creocoat.:( Like I said before "try stay away from asphalt paint or nasty creosote". Another solution is to buy an expensive gallon of Flex Seal liquid rubber and coat the panels. Worst case, to save a lot of money, just use a good exterior paint with UV protection.;)

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Warning - protecting the panel(s) bare wood from the outside elements proved to be quite problematic. I am planning to use Woodlife's Creocoat once on each panel side then paint over the surface with a good exterior paint. You need to use an organic respirator when using the Creocoat.:( Like I said before "try stay away from asphalt paint or nasty creosote". Another solution is to buy an expensive gallon of Flex Seal liquid rubber and coat the panels. Worst case, to save a lot of money, just use a good exterior paint with UV protection.;)
Hi Andy,

You might try this...far superior....Quite pricey but it works far better than any other product I try here in Arizona to protect from the sun, rain etc.

NanoGuard.jpg

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Andy,

You might try this...far superior....Quite pricey but it works far better than any other product I try here in Arizona to protect from the sun, rain etc.

NanoGuard.jpg

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
The big box stores don't carry it - Home Depot and Lowes:frown:
Good quality and low VOC find - will order the NANO + Tint from Amazon;)

Last edited:
OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just upgraded my "no frills" unprotected truck bed cover to the weatherproof/sealed cover version.

A forum user (Phil Schilke) suggested that I should use Seal Once "Nano Guard" to seal all wooden panel/frame surfaces to prevent water/mold/decay. I am very glad I did - the low VOC, quality and easy clean-up sealer sold me on using it on my truck bed cover. (They used this sealer on log cabins) I used only one coat of Nano (without tint) on all the wood panels/frames. Warning - using a tint with Nano Guard you cannot paint over it. I hand brushed, with a very small 1/4" brush, Gorilla waterproof glue on all plywood edges for enhanced wood splinter control. Then used a very good exterior latex paint (Sherwin Williams "WeatherShield" - two coats) only on the panel top surface and edges to match the Ranger's black vinyl truck bed rails. On all outer 1/4" plywood panel overhang/lips, only on the bottom, I applied heavy duty "all weather" Gorilla duct tape with 3M 90 contact cement "booster" to prevent any scratching/abrasion/friction, due to vehicle movement, of the Ranger's vinyl truck bed rails. I ran over budget on weatherproof/sealed truck bed cover version but the paint person at Lowe's said "it should last at least ten years with Sherwin Williams WeatherShield exterior paint"

Weatherproof_1.JPG

Last edited:

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Top secret construction tips/hints/info for the DIY hillbilly truck bed cover (Tonneau) for six foot bed only - modify measurements for five foot bed!
This is how I constructed my DIY wood cover panels - of course there are many other ways to achieve the same results. ;)

Wood screw penetration through the 1/4" plywood top surface to the ladder frame was not permitted. (For proper sealing, wood decay/leakage prevention, painting and aesthetic purposes) Liquid Nail's "Fuse-It" industrial construction adhesive is more than sufficient in providing the gluing strength for the plywood and ladder frame construction.

Since my truck width measured 55 1/2" in width "in between" the vinyl truck bed rails then make the 1/4" plywood cover panel with "lip/overhang" 59" in length (~ 2 1/4" away from each end/edge of the ladder frame) This will allow easy panel/frame (sloppy/quick) construction and fit. You don't have to be precise but "only close" in your ladder frame construction and it also guards against misfit due to panel/frame bowing. Also leave 1/2" lip on each side of the panel width eg ladder frame width is less than 1/2" on each "width" side of the panel - this will allow for future weather stripping. Using the standard sheet (4' x 8') of plywood, have Home Depot or Lowes cut it for 59" in length and then have them split it in half to give you two 59" L x 24" W panels. On the very last panel, nearest the tailgate leave 1 1/2" lip on both "width" sides of the ladder frame. For the length just keep it 2 1/4" away from the ladder frame like the last two panels. My measurement that I had on the last panel (3rd panel) top width is 23 1/2" W compared to the other two at ~ 24" W.

Panel 1 & 2 (1/4" plywood top) = 59" L x 24" W - Panel 1 & 2 ladder frame outside dimensions = 54 1/2" L x 23" W.
Panel 3 (1/4" plywood top - near tailgate) = 59" L x 23 1/2" W - Panel 3 ladder frame outside dimensions = 54 1/2" L x 20 1/2" W.

Please Note: Not all Ford Truck beds are built exact! - double/triple check "all" the truck bed measurements!

After "wood" gluing and clamping the ladder frames for the required amount of time - install the L and T brackets. After the gluing curing/clamping time, "center" the ladder frame on the 1/4" plywood with the proper "lips" or overhangs. Temporary clamp the ladder frame to the 1/4" plywood panel. Carpenter pencil mark all outside/inside edges of the ladder frame on the 1/4 plywood. This will give you the "exact" gluing reference position when applying the industrial adhesive Fuse-It. Put a very heavy Fuse-it 1/2" to 3/4" bead on the ladder frame top edge or panel plywood marked lines and clamp both surfaces for overnight drying. (I used one Fuse-It caulk cartridge per panel)

DIYAndy
1/10/20 - End of protected truck bed cover project:sunglasses:

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc
OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Most hard truck bed covers are rated for ~ 300 # distributed across the whole truck bed cover (Tonneau). ;)My design, as you can see, (above) I am standing only on one panel section - the industrial adhesive Fuze-It is awesome! :sunglasses:
BTW … don't try this at home with your Tonneau unless you have the EMS on standby.;)

Last edited:

OWSportninja

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport SuperCrew 2wd
Update: "No frills" truck bed cover version approximate cost:
Plywood ~ $30 (2 sheets)
Furring strips ~ $30 (10 8' strips)
Hardware ~ $50 (eyebolts, L & T brackets)
Ratchets ~ $12 (6)
Tie chains ~ $20
Misc. ~ $30 (Industrial adhesive, Gorilla glue, Beer etc.)
--------------------
$172 + tax

For what it's worth I was able to get a TonnoPro soft tri fold cover for around $180 shipped

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
For what it's worth I was able to get a TonnoPro soft tri fold cover for around $180 shipped
Good find - but there is a difference between "soft" and "hard" covers;) I can stand on mine which is more than enough for any ice/snow accumulation ;) Now try to standing on yours :sunglasses: - with the paramedics standing by:giggle:
BTW .. I could have easily designed a soft cover but it was not worth it because of security and strength;)
If you need a cheap soft cover and for about $10 - just throw a tarp over it:sunglasses:
Welcome to the forum - Nathan:rockon:

Last edited:
OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
According to many experts, the best way to improve the truck's fuel economy is to add a Tonneau cover. A Tonneau cover will help reduce aerodynamic drag and can improve gas mileage by as much as 10% BUT the main reason, why I designed this truck bed cover, is this ;)

snow_ice.JPG

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
According to many experts, the best way to improve the truck's fuel economy is to add a Tonneau cover. A Tonneau cover will help reduce aerodynamic drag and can improve gas mileage by as much as 10% BUT the main reason, why I designed this truck bed cover, is this ;)

snow_ice.JPG
Hi Andy,

Actually a tonneau cover increases drag. I spent 10 hours in the Lockheed wind tunnel on several occasions trying to improve Race Truck aerodynamics and the tonneau was top on my list of things to try. Results was a significant increase to the tune of about 10% in aero drag for a tonneau cover. Ditto for tail gate removal... Best increase was a 6" strip across the box at the tailgate. Doing the smoke test you could see why this worked when other items did not work....Air flow is not intuitive and you cannot see its flow. For the cab the air rolls and spirals in such a fashion that this 6" strip alters the spiraling. It was amazing that the Ford Aerodynamist with me could envision such things working...
So I wish to debunk this theory that tonneau covers on pickup trucks decrease aero drag, Tonneau covers increase drag...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
I was worried they would warp? Seems its holding up though.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I was worried they would warp? Seems its holding up though.
With industrial adhesive, waterproof glue, T & L brackets along with proper wood sealing and painting should keep each panel from warping. Will check back in a year's time with a picture update of the plywood and ladder frame panels ;)

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So I wish to debunk this theory that tonneau covers on pickup trucks decrease aero drag, Tonneau covers increase drag...
For the sake of this argument or disagreement I will play the devil's advocate. :devil:
Just maybe, by
Googling, you might not find the real truth because Google has a bias for their
advertising clients or Tonneau vendors:question:

Folks Google on
Does having a truck bed covers improve gas mileage?
Does a Tonneau cover improve mpg?

One vendor even has a gas savings calculator ;)
https://truxedo.com/gas-savings-calculator

This link is along the lines of my thinking "now" - Discovery Channel's MythBusters blog :question:
https://autosneed.com/do-tonneau-covers-really-save-gas/
From now on, I will be driving my Ranger 85 miles an hour to save gas with my hillbilly truck bed cover (Tonneau);)
Sponsored

Last edited: