Detroit area Ford Dealers are absolutely garbage

DuckDCoy

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Iconic Silver Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Ford is the only dealer with service in my area where you cannot call in and get a same day or next day oil change appointment. You HAVE to get in line and wait and you might be there 20 minutes or 6 hours they have no clue or schedule a drop off and arrange your own transportation.

their service departments need to get their shit together. I can call the dodge dealership where I bought every other one of my vehicles the last few years and schedule an oil change tomorrow and be in and out in an hour or less.

same with Toyota.

they claim they have a quick lane but nothing about the Ford dealer is quick or timely. Iā€™m seriously regretting buying my ranger just due to the incompetence of the dealerships to handle basic stuff like oil changes. Oh yeah I forgot to add they told me they donā€™t do or recommend break in oil changes anymore? Since when?
Sponsored

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ā€˜23 Macan,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
So all 18 dealers in the Detroit metro are garbage?

FordSpeed

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4 Supercrew
Since the Ford dealers are privately owned, the problems you'r experiencing are not common to all dealers. I have no issue getting an oil change appointment at either one of the Ford dealers in my area (although they are busy, so I plan mine out about a week in advance based on my usual commute mileage). If I really need one same day, I just visit a Oil Can Henry's. I like them since they have cameras and you can watch them work from the drivers seat.

I think break-in oil and break-in oil changes are not really needed for today's production engines. The oils and filters have to go through much more extensive certification processes than they used to. I will do my first oil change at 3k however instead of waiting the 5k just to be on the safe side.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Duck,

I understand to a point that Quick Lane Oil Changes are slothful...same here in Arizona. However, our Daughter lives in Troy and she is mentally handicapped. Functional but simple. Dean Sellers Ford has treated her Royally and takes care of all her needs in a timely manor. If they have to keep the car, they drop her off at our Condo around the corner and pick her up when the car is ready. I give Dean Sellers 5 stars.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
DuckDCoy

DuckDCoy

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok great. I would trade immediately for a Toyota then.
I might just do that. Itā€™s ridiculous that you cannot schedule an oil change unless you plan it out two months ahead minimum.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Perhaps it's time for a Ridgeline... :)

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I agree with the OP - not being able to schedule any all services is archaic. I do all my own services but can recall decades ago having to que up in the am to have the many warranty issues with my 1991 SHO (just a 12/12k warranty back then) addressed, I did feel waiting in the que to add insult to injury.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ā€˜23 Macan,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Yeah I guess today at 2 or tomorrow morning is too inconvenient

28CECF4D-9528-4C1A-AE9B-D39B0FC43F88.png

55256B73-77E7-4542-8DA0-25AA7893FEF3.png

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
Our local Ford's service department is OK. It's not perfect. It's ran by humans so I expect some issues. They have come through when pushed.
20 years ago I had an E350 van. I religiously took it in for every service that was suggested by them and the manual. It was a work vehicle and it needed to be running. I would drop it off on a Friday afternoon and pick it up Saturday when a service or repair was needed. One Saturday I was paying the bill and my wife asked me to look at the van. It had major damage to the right headlight area. Something backed into it. The service staff initially said it wasn't their problem. I BLEW AN O RING AT THEIR SERVICE DESK. I cursed and yelled to high heaven. I'm surprised they didn't call the police. I refused to accept the vehicle and said I would be calling back Monday AM when the service manager returned. Long story short, the service manage had the vehicle repaired completely and provided a free rental truck for the week it was out.
Like I said in the first paragraph. They come through when pushed. Unfortunately that wasn't the only incident albeit it was the worst.

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
Ford is the only dealer with service in my area where you cannot call in and get a same day or next day oil change appointment. You HAVE to get in line and wait and you might be there 20 minutes or 6 hours they have no clue or schedule a drop off and arrange your own transportation.

their service departments need to get their shit together. I can call the dodge dealership where I bought every other one of my vehicles the last few years and schedule an oil change tomorrow and be in and out in an hour or less.

same with Toyota.

they claim they have a quick lane but nothing about the Ford dealer is quick or timely. Iā€™m seriously regretting buying my ranger just due to the incompetence of the dealerships to handle basic stuff like oil changes. Oh yeah I forgot to add they told me they donā€™t do or recommend break in oil changes anymore? Since when?
Come to the U.P. My Ford dealership in Escanaba will take great care of you. Tell Travis I sent you. ?

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
Well it is Detroit so....

OP
OP
DuckDCoy

DuckDCoy

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
boo hoo.
go buy your own oil and filter if it bugs you so much.
dang dude didnā€™t realize old people got so triggered.

Sorry if I offended you or struck a nerve by not being satisfied with my local dealership service centers.

OP
OP
DuckDCoy

DuckDCoy

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
and this flagrant exaggeration makes you sound like a complete tool, border-lining on trolling.

I know my dealership doesn't sit around and wait for ME to call, and that they service hundreds and thousands of vehicles from the area.
my oil change doesn't sneak up on me...there is ample time to plan for it.
if you cant plan for it, why should your lack of planning become an emergency for them? give your all about me head a shake.

book on line in advance and show up.....easy.
called the dealer where I bought my car they said they werenā€™t taking appointments until end of April beginning of may, and that if I wanted to I could drop my car off and they would call me when they were done with the oil change but it could take a day or two. Or alternatively I could just show up and wait but they had a minimum of a three hour wait time and the service center closes before I get out of work.
Sponsored