Lead Process Engineer

Nuke83

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport FX2
It really depends on what you want from your dressing product.

• If you want Super high gloss and aren't worried about tires browning or silicone slinging all over your painted surface, then use any of those silicone based products mentioned prior. They'll all perform similarly. Personally, I've reached the point that I avoid the silicone dressings as much as possible and will only use the next two on my vehicles.

• If you want a really good water based product that provide a very good shine and won't sling everywhere, then Meguiars Hyper Dressing is about the best around for looks and longevity (albeit the longevity won't be as long as silicone based). Pretty much the same as the silicone dressings as far as prep. Use a good tire cleaner such as Bleche Wite and a scrub brush and give 2-3 scrub and rinse cycles. Let tires dry and apply dressing.

• If you're wanting something that will really fight tire browning, provide a decent shine, and be VERY low maintenance once applied, then nothing beats TUF Shine Tire Clearcoat. It requires SIGNIFICANT cleaning up front to get any previous products, road grime, etc., off the tire before cleaning. I will say that for decades I believed Westley's (now Black Magic) Bleche Wite was the best tire cleaner you could buy, but after using the TUF Shine cleaner during prep, I can say that it blows Bleche Wite away. To use TUF Shine Tire Clearcoat, you'll need to clean your tires maybe a dozen times with the cleaner and brush each to get to the point that the cleaner rinses off completely white, with no trace of brown/grey at all before you apply the clearcoat. Then you can layer the clearcoat on as many layers as you wish to achieve the shine you want. But after that, all you need is soap and water to clean your tires back to that level of shine.

I applied TUF Shine in February and have only washed tires with soap and water and they still look showroom level without any cleaners or dressing. I didn't want super glossy shine, just a nice, clean shine, so I only layered 2 coats. A lot of up front prep work to save all the rework down the road. I guess I'll do it again after 9-12 months.

So all in all, if gloss is your goal and you don't mind the mess of silicone, the use a silicone product as they provide best gloss performance. If you want something that provides solid gloss/appearance but without the mess and sling of silicone, Meguiars Hyper Dressing is your best bet. If you want a high performing shine and longevity product, TUF Shine Tire Clearcoat is your best choice.

Nuke83

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport FX2
I learned this year that a detailer brush is also good for applying tire dressing. Spray brush and paint on. Works well on lug heavy tires and sidewalls.

0AD46341-E326-4CC9-82CD-59DB458AD567.jpeg
A much cheaper alternative is to buy small paint chip brushes as your local big box store and throw them away when you finish. About a buck apiece.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
A much cheaper alternative is to buy small paint chip brushes as your local big box store and throw them away when you finish. About a buck apiece.
$9 for 5.
Easy to rinse and reuse.
I throw in my tire bucket. Plus I have 4 others for interior and engine work.

Swpeet 5 Pcs Premium Natural Boar Hair Detail Brush Set, Automotive Detailing Brushes for Cleaning Wheels/Engine/Interior/Emblems/Interior/Exterior/Air Vents https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074W1CGMQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_EjLdFbXEVV8FW
Sponsored

Last edited: