computer help needed from tech savvy folks !

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I lived by the 80/20 rule. Cost 20% to achieve 80% function. But that last 20% of function will blow the budget.

The same rule applies for project management and human behavior. I would see project stalled for 80% of the project and then insane effort in the last 20% of the schedule to make the date. Then as the date came up, the team would invariably descope the requirements so everything appeared succesful.

I never allowed this to happen on my watch. I wrote a detailed project plans with clear objectives and clear pass / fail criteria that could be objectively measured to prove we met the objectives. The less than honorable team members ran from these projects as there was no place to hide work effort or results.
Sounds like you and I would get along well on a project.... :like:
Sponsored

OP
OP
9zero1790

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
so far its not going well. the companies tech guru looked it over and said no physical damages but the typical software to get to the content is not working. So, I may be paying a pro to do it the forensics way lol...
If only it would allow me to rename the drive without formatting it would be solved already.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
If you have a system with Linux Mint, or know someone who does you can easily rename the drive. I do it all the time. Use the Disks application in the Accessory folder. takes just a sec to do.

In fact if you download Linux Mint and put the image on a USB flash drive, you can boot from the flash drive and attach the drive to another USB port, and then run Disks and rename it.

Might be worth a try. Here is a pic of the Utility to do it.
rename disk .jpg

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But I am not sure what the Disk (partition Name) has to do with the problem.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BTW, Linux Mint is far superior to Windoz, and all the code is free... and you don't need antivirus software. Been using it since 2005, and it only gets better every year.

It doesn't spy on you and all the Software is certified to work and they (the applications) don't spy on you either.

If you can use Windoz, you can easily use Linux Mint. My 80 year old in-laws switched to Linux Mint 6 years ago. My support calls dropped from several a week to maybe 2 a year. It just works.

Buckbull

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Software Architect
Who knew the ranger5g forum was full of software nerds. 28 years here, first 3 years served as a developer, then team lead for 10 and have been an architect for the remaining years. All the older guys are like me, full stack developers just doing what needs done. I've done DBA work in Oracle, configure Apache web servers and coded in applications all within the same day. All the new folks we interview specialize in UX or they only deal with the backend, etc. Just different I guess. Struck gold today on an interview, guy was mid fifties with similar backgrounds of doing whatever it takes to get stuff done. Starts on June 5.

Edit - I'm the guy still using VI to modify code. The young guys think i'm a dinosaur.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Who knew the ranger5g forum was full of software nerds. 28 years here, first 3 years served as a developer, then team lead for 10 and have been an architect for the remaining years. All the older guys are like me, full stack developers just doing what needs done. I've done DBA work in Oracle, configure Apache web servers and coded in applications all within the same day. All the new folks we interview specialize in UX or they only deal with the backend, etc. Just different I guess. Struck gold today on an interview, guy was mid fifties with similar backgrounds of doing whatever it takes to get stuff done. Starts on June 5.

Edit - I'm the guy still using VI to modify code. The young guys think i'm a dinosaur.
I will take a dinosaur over 80% of the "developers" out there today.....

Nellieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger crew cab
Good to hear the grey beards in the industry are around. Another one here. Started in multics then vms systems in the early 80s... Unix//inux, stratus vos, used to code in a ton of languages... Did ops support, pre sales support, lead architect, now web site management... Long resume and some of the stuff I've done would put me in the ' oh you're that guy club'. Trying to just destress the way into a quiet retirement in the next 5y or so. I've had enough stress at this point. Buried three managers along the way... Maybe being my boss was worse...been to more funerals than retirements in this field... I am trying to be an exception.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The stress levels will take a toll. My wife and her entire family sat me down and talked me into retirement. My career was at its peek, and I was managing the I/T infrastructure for the western hemisphere for Lenovo. The salary was great with 40% bonuses, but I was working 20 hour days, and traveling way too much.

So I walked away in 2007. And I am still here!

Wife told me she was convinced I'd be dead in a year back in 2006.

I think maybe she saved my life!

It did take a while to wind down, and there were many times I thought maybe I should have stayed on. But I think she was correct, and we are closer for it.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VI was nice (that brings back memories), and my wife still loves it. But I liked E3 which was developed in IBM for internal use only. Text only like VI, Small fast, major features, and programmable.

I used most of these editors while at IBM

Buckbull

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Software Architect
Ive actually graduated to Vim. These young guys cant figure me out. Kinda funny watching their expressions when i whip out some sed and awk. IBM used to provide alot of support for mcdonnell douglas and then boeing back in the day. Infrastructure was solid back then. Miss those days.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
BTW, Linux Mint is far superior to Windoz, and all the code is free... and you don't need antivirus software. Been using it since 2005, and it only gets better every year.

It doesn't spy on you and all the Software is certified to work and they (the applications) don't spy on you either.

If you can use Windoz, you can easily use Linux Mint. My 80 year old in-laws switched to Linux Mint 6 years ago. My support calls dropped from several a week to maybe 2 a year. It just works.
Been using Linux for years, went through a few different distros and eventually settled on Mint as well. I would still be using my old Thinkpad T430 if they didn't stop supporting 32bit OS.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Been using Linux for years, went through a few different distros and eventually settled on Mint as well. I would still be using my old Thinkpad T430 if they didn't stop supporting 32bit OS.
Save that T430! Linux Mint Debian (LMDE 6) still supports both 64 and 32 Bit systems. I am playing with it right now on a T470, considering whether to switch from the Ubuntu based. It looks identical and may be a tad faster. It has certainly matured in the last few years.

It only supports flatpaks and deb packaged apps. No PPAs. Even the 64 Bit version runs faster than the Ubuntu based Mint (fans don't run as hard or as fast on LMDE 6).

I am also playing with LibreWolf as a replacement to Firefox. Using Brave as my backup browser.

I picked up a Lenovo certifed T450s touchscreen for under $200 and I'm using it for the ForScan and the few odd apps that I still need for Windoz. Things like label makers, etc. I've lobotomized Windoz and it is rarely if ever attached to the internet. I have a little batch file that sets the date to the same day each time I turn it on. It keeps me from having the reregister Forscan every 2 months. I don't use Forscan very much at all, but it comes in handy about once a year.

Last edited:

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Save that T430! Linux Mint Debian (LMDE 6) still supports both 64 and 32 Bit systems. I am playing with it right now on a T470, considering whether to switch from the Ubuntu based. It looks identical and may be a tad faster. It has certainly matured in the last few years. It only supports flatpaks and deb packaged apps. No PPAs. Even the 64 Bit versions runs faster than the Ubuntu based Mint ( fans don't run as hard or as fast on LMDE 6.

I am also playing with LibreWolf as a replacement to Firefox. Using Brave as my backup browser.

I picked up a Lenovo certifed T450s touchscreen for under $200 and I'm using it for the ForScan and the few odd apps that I still need for Windoz. Things like label makers, etc. I've lobotomized Windoz and it is rarely if ever attached to the internet. I have a little batch file that sets the date to the same day each time I turn it on. It keeps me from having the reregister Forscan every 2 months. I don't use Forscan very much at all, but it comes in handy about once a year.
I still have it as a media center. Unfortunately the power button is going bad, needs more and more pressure. So I put it into suspend only because if I shut it down I may not be able to power it back on. I had to use a screwdriver last time. I have a T580 I use now.

Brave is a good browser too but I replaced their search with yandex.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While we are talking about OSes, a very nice tool for storing OS images is Ventoy. Install it on your flash drive, then simply copy the install OS ISO files to the flash drive.

Boot from the Ventoy flashdrive and a menu appears with your OS library, select the OS to install, press enter and the installation begins.

Very very handy!
Sponsored