First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, Super Crew FX4, Ruby Red
Occupation
Retired Boatbuilder, Volunteer Asst. Fire Chief
As stated above, although the potential exists for damaging the alternator I have never heard of it happening.

The only way a wire limits a load is by its resistance to the current flow. Enough resistance (pushing more amps than the wire can handle) results in the wire burning up. One way to limit current flow but not the recommended method. A better way is to have the DC-DC charger control the charging current.

The 7-connector wire to the trailer provides only a trickle charge - 3-4 amps. If the batteries are fully charged this may be enough. If not, the DC-DC charger, wired properly, will provide up to its rated capacity. In my case, 30 amps.

Remember also your vehicle's charging system is designed to keep its battery charged. LiFePO4 batteries charge at a higher voltage. Again, a DC-DC charger will step up the voltage from the vehicle to properly, and completely, charge the trailer's batteries.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for your prompt reply. This thread has been very helpful to me. Looks like I'll be looking into a DC to DC charger! Oh, by the way, how are the Weize LiFePo4 batteries working out?
Sponsored

OP
OP
JonB

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Oh, by the way, how are the Weize LiFePo4 batteries working out?
Excellent. Spent four weeks boondocking out at the RV rally in Quartzite, AZ in January. Charged with 200 watts of solar; batteries handled everything, including heat, propane frig, lights, water pump, etc. Pretty much stayed above 13.0 volts all the time.